RETURN OF THE BEARD

#1 Posted by FlashDamn (947 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently in Aquama#25 aquaman will be getting back his famed beard in the solicitations picture below.honestly i dont know if he is better with the bear or not so voice your opinion

#2 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as good as the old beard, needs to be bigger. Needs his long hair as well.

This looks more like the Brave and The Bold look. Not bad, but not really what I like for angry Aquaman.

#3 Posted by FlashDamn (947 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as good as the old beard, needs to be bigger. Needs his long hair as well.

This looks more like the Brave and The Bold look. Not bad, but not really what I like for angry Aquaman.

I cant make mind about how i think of the beard it just fells a little weird in the new 52 and yes i agree it should be bigger in order to give him the "angry" look

#4 Posted by The_Tree (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

It might just be the artist, but it looks weird.

#5 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Liked him without it. Hopefully it's temporary.

#6 Posted by FlashDamn (947 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Soon that hand is gonna go as well.

#8 Posted by Dernman (14932 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope it's short lived. He should save the beard for when he gets older.

#9 Posted by FlashDamn (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: I like the hand idea but it ruins alot of possible stories as it boosts him from a B type power guy to an A type making him more like a superman duplicate with water but the problem can be fixed by redesigning the shape of the hand so it doesnt look cheesy and giving it less powers

#10 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@flashdamn: Pfft, I want the metal hand, not the water one.

#11 Edited by FlashDamn (947 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4525 posts) - - Show Bio

Liked him without it. Hopefully it's temporary.

I hate it, hopefully it will disappear for good.

#14 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4525 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by DEADPOOL (2703 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the beard if drawn well. He's often depicted with a beard too, one of the few superheroes who have one.

#17 Edited by War Killer (20125 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the beard.

#18 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Z3RO180 (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring back the hook

#20 Posted by Squalleon (4524 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

Bring back the hook

No, the hook is a relic of the 90s and while it was good as long as it lasted, now it feels dated and doesn't fit this Aquaman's personality.

#21 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the beard, just not that beard.

#22 Posted by Z3RO180 (6447 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Squalleon (4524 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

@squalleon: but its a hook :'(

Think about it this way, if he gets the hook he can't have the trident.
How would he fight with no free hand or how would he properly use it.
The Sea King of E3 did it and look how many panels he lasted :-P
Anyway the hook shouldn't return it may look cool but this is not the same Aquaman. He isn't angry or afraid(fear was a driving force for him in Peter David's run) he doesn't have long hair and he is king of atlantis.

#24 Posted by Z3RO180 (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: he could screw the trident onto the stump problem solved :D

#25 Posted by Squalleon (4524 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

@squalleon: he could screw the trident onto the stump problem solved :D

The Trident is since the ancient Greece the symbol of the king of the seas Aquaman actually needs it.

#26 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: WHY DOES EVERYONE LIKE 90s AQUAMAN SO MUCH???!!! O_O

#27 Edited by Z3RO180 (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: why must you crumble the dream made of cookies :(

#28 Posted by Z3RO180 (6447 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by Squalleon (4524 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

@squalleon: why must you crumble the dream made of cookies :(

Because i am EVIL!!!!!!

#30 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Character just came closer to beating Namor

#31 Edited by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

@tektheninja: hook hand dude...hook hand

i don't like the hook hand.

Character just came closer to beating Namor

he already beat namor.

#32 Posted by Riot_Sqrrl (262 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor with a beard looks like a hobo, which is convenient, because he was. Aquaman with a beard looks like the frontman for Nickleback. I'm not sure which is worse.

#33 Posted by tquinn (16 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the beardless look works better with his age in the new 52

#34 Edited by DEADPOOL (2703 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't speak for everyone but I can give my viewpoints.

• While I like his classic look, a lot of people are turned away by it for one reason or another. So when he got a change he gained some more appeal. His appearance became grittier, really reflecting the comics in the 90's and getting away from the flamboyant boyscout people started to wrongly develop about him. He looked more like a hardened warrior and someone to take more seriously.
  • He was royalty, but people usually perceive kings as having beards, it gives the appearance of maturity and authority. Having a smooth face is often associated with princes.
  • The harpoon-hand was popular. For one, it was sort of unique, it also gave him a more dangerous and intimidating appearance, and there's also the appeal of having a weapon coming from you such as in the case with Wolverine's claws.
  • Lastly, we can't forget that a lot of current comicbook fans started getting into comics in th 90's. When I started learning about Aquaman, it was in the 90's, and I didn't even know he used to have an orange shirt until I saw him on a rerun of the Superfriends on Cartoon Network.
#35 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!

#36 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked both versions of the character and the beard looked great on the cover for issue 24.

@tektheninja: During the PAD era in the 90's Aquaman

1) got his past and history detailed better than ever.

2) his supporting cast and scope of the world grew like never before.

3) he got an increase in powerset to finally put him on par with the rest of the big 7 (apart from Batman who is there for his mind and resources)

4) he was also a member of the Grant Morisson JLA (best run of the tile by far) and was shown as a powerhouse in combination with his appearances in his own title.

5) the warrior king theme was played to 11, which in conjunction with his new power level showcased him as one of DC's main players.

6) he had more appearances at that period than ever before since he was in his own title, JLA, JLA Classified, the DCU events and various JLA specials (like Earth 2 and Gatekeeper)

7) he was written by writers who understood and respected the character

8) The bearded harpoon hand look was unique and awesome, but most importantly was not overdone like most of the 90s redisigns with a million guns, pouches, capes, blades, glasses and general Liefieldness.

9) his connection with Poseidon and his role as his "champion" was brought into play further cementing AQ as one of DC's most important characters

10) he had some of his best and fun fights like when he first fought the Deep Six or when he kicked the JLA out of Atlantis.

11) etc etc

The 90s might have been bad for some DC characters but it was by far the best period in Aquaman's history, until Geof Johns started writing him of course.

#37 Edited by Outside_85 (8652 posts) - - Show Bio

Speaking for myself: Because his classical look is like the Steven Roger's All-American ideal of how a man should look, and I don't think that suits a character that spends much of his time at the bottom of the sea (too squeaky clean). Also, the beard is reminicent of the days when most sailors would have a beard.

#38 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: Good points. He also looks different than the other JL members and makes the allusions to his place as Poseidon in the JL more evident.

#39 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked both versions of the character and the beard looked great on the cover for issue 24.

@tektheninja: During the PAD era in the 90's Aquaman

1) got his past and history detailed better than ever.

2) his supporting cast and scope of the world grew like never before.

3) he got an increase in powerset to finally put him on par with the rest of the big 7 (apart from Batman who is there for his mind and resources)

4) he was also a member of the Grant Morisson JLA (best run of the tile by far) and was shown as a powerhouse in combination with his appearances in his own title.

5) the warrior king theme was played to 11, which in conjunction with his new power level showcased him as one of DC's main players.

6) he had more appearances at that period than ever before since he was in his own title, JLA, JLA Classified, the DCU events and various JLA specials (like Earth 2 and Gatekeeper)

7) he was written by writers who understood and respected the character

8) The bearded harpoon hand look was unique and awesome, but most importantly was not overdone like most of the 90s redisigns with a million guns, pouches, capes, blades, glasses and general Liefieldness.

9) his connection with Poseidon and his role as his "champion" was brought into play further cementing AQ as one of DC's most important characters

10) he had some of his best and fun fights like when he first fought the Deep Six or when he kicked the JLA out of Atlantis.

11) etc etc

The 90s might have been bad for some DC characters but it was by far the best period in Aquaman's history, until Geof Johns started writing him of course.

i agree with all of that.

i meant the design. i prefer the classic look

#40 Posted by BlackWind (6065 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least we know how he got the beard. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.