Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4626 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

New 52 Poseidon?

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Raw_Material

From the start of the new story arc 'Death of a King' and leading up to Aquaman #19, we have been seeing a mysteriously ancient "Ice King" with a wrathful grudge on Aquaman. Now after given hints, I'm beginning to think that this once king of the seven seas is Poseidon. Anyone else believes so too?

Here's a scene in the epilogue to 'Throne of Atlantis' where he first makes his appearance.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Here is a scene in the beginning of 'Death of a King' as the forgotten king creates an earthquake in Antarctica which Poseidon is known to do, specifically out of rage.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And here's the latest showing of the 'Ice King' in the ending of Aquaman #18 where he demands Mera to lead him to Xebel so that the Seven Seas could be is again.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

That being said, it definitely stirred up the probability of whether or not this is Poseidon, as he is first seen in Wonder Woman #5 with a different appearance. Triton, his son who once claimed the Seven Seas under his authority is also a name to drop as well. He became enraged with Aquaman once he found out that his people thought of him as more of a king to Atlantis than he was. Thus, this could go either way.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By colonyofcells

The new icy villain has more similarities to the frost giants of norse mythology. Looks more like old Wonder Woman villain Minister Blizzard.

sage1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sage1000

Besides Poseidon has already been seen in Wonder Woman and his form is something totally different.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#4  Edited By Black_Claw

Am I the only one who thinks Poseidon looks like the Ice King from Adventure Time? Lol

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

You mean this guy?

No Caption Provided

Wonder Woman #5 was his first. Why does Geof always try to conflict with Az?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I'll take Aquaman's (maybe) Poseidon over WW's grumpy toad version.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Lvenger

Azzarello beat Johns to it. Personality wise I like him and he has an interesting link to the First Born.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Well it could always be stated later that Poseidon is a shapeshifter. This way it wouldn't mess with continuity (since it is already messed up as it is lol).

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

@knighthood: @sage1000: @lvenger:

As we go back to the Golden and Silver Age of Comics, Poseidon takes up an appearance which almost resembles the imagery of this so-called king in New 52 and is holding the same trident design as the one Pelletier sketched out.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

So, as of right now we know it is Poseidon's trident. However, due to the appearance of "Poseidon" in Wonder Woman #5, this makes me think that the former king is Triton, Poseidon's son who believed he ruled the seven seas and was enraged once he heard that Aquaman was looked upon as more of a king to Atlantis than he was. Although, the personality of this New 52 character seems to fit more of Poseidon's traits as the examples above led me to think this at first. We also haven't seen an appearance of Triton in this New 52 series, so there's a high possibility that it is him.

No Caption Provided

Well it could always be stated later that Poseidon is a shapeshifter. This way it wouldn't mess with continuity (since it is already messed up as it is lol).

This also might be the case. If it is, I'm all for it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@raw_material: I'm leaning towards Triton rather than Poseidon. 2 different versions of Poseidon might muck up New 52 continuity even more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@raw_material: You confusing the characters,Ice King looks like King Neptune

No Caption Provided

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean this guy?

No Caption Provided

Wonder Woman #5 was his first. Why does Geof always try to conflict with Az?

I always liked this look 4 P-dog

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

The issue has been put to rest:

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.