Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4626 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

New 52 Arthur Curry, Jr

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

We all know that Aquaman's continuity has somewhat been revamped in the New 52 series, which means that not only is his hand back but the birth of his and Mera's baby boy is non-existent as well. Now, I enjoyed watching Aquaman's family tree grow, from Mera to Arthur Curry, Jr and would want to see the Aqua family reunited in the New 52 series once more. Both Aquaman and Mera shown to have carried out the duty of caring for a dog (Aquadog), so this only seems right for them to have a newborn baby as well. Who else would want to see a New 52 Aquababy?!

No Caption Provided

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Veshark

If Johns can build to it naturally and gradually, then I don't mind Arthur and Mera 'settling down' eventually. But right now their lives are way too hectic with the Ice King and Xebel and Atlantis and all that jazz. Perhaps when Aquaman has finally settled into his role as the King, it could work. But for now, I'm happy with the large supporting cast that Johns is introducing; the Others, Vulko, Murk, Tula, Swatt, Topo, Nereus, it's all good stuff.

Also, not to go off-topic, but am I the only one who wants to see Arthur go up against a non-aquatic villain? I mean seeing revamps like Manta, Orm, Scavenger, and even the Ice King is cool and all...but a land villain might be a fresh change for a one-and-done.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

@veshark said:

If Johns can build to it naturally and gradually, then I don't mind Arthur and Mera 'settling down' eventually. But right now their lives are way too hectic with the Ice King and Xebel and Atlantis and all that jazz. Perhaps when Aquaman has finally settled into his role as the King, it could work. But for now, I'm happy with the large supporting cast that Johns is introducing; the Others, Vulko, Murk, Tula, Swatt, Topo, Nereus, it's all good stuff.

This is true. Geoff has probably thought about this considering the amount of characters he's already introduced into the New 52 series and feels like he should wait until more stories are released to brainstorm more about this. I'm loving the new characters of the Aquaman mythos as well and is very intrigued with the expansion of Atlantis in DC comics. I really like The Others and hope Geoff makes a story arc that showcases their individual origins, as well as more impressive feats of theirs. I like how he's introduced them along with the in-depths of the Atlantean relics and feel that they went together quite well for a story arc. Murk is also another new character that I find interesting and believe he resembles the many characteristics that the general Atlantean holds such as loyalty, commitment, honor, and boldness.

Also, not to go off-topic, but am I the only one who wants to see Arthur go up against a non-aquatic villain? I mean seeing revamps like Manta, Orm, Scavenger, and even the Ice King is cool and all...but a land villain might be a fresh change for a one-and-done.

I totally agree with you and hope we see Aquaman face a villain from the surface world which I thought we were in the first story arc, instead we get walking piranha zombies. I mean c'mon Geoff, lol! I'm sure the staff have already caught on to this and have some villain(s) in mind for Aquaman.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@veshark said:

Perfectly said on both accounts. I would not mind seeing a land-based villain for the next arc. And if Johns intends to give Arthur and Mera a child, it should certainly be a gradual occurrence.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@veshark: I agree. Many people think that even if Aquaman fights villainy and criminals fully on land, they are still ocean based in some aspect. Not all of Batman's villains are insane. Not all of Superman's foes are aliens. Lets get some versatility here.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@raw_material @supbatz@blackwind

Yeah, I'm definitely loving the expansion of Aquaman's world right now, this is exactly what Johns did for Green Lantern with the Corps and the emotional spectrum. Here's to hoping that Aquaman will be propelled into super-stardom like how Hal did.

But I definitely want to see more variety in terms of the villains. I like the Trench (and it seems like they have a secret purpose, judging from the Ice King's comments), but we need to see more land-based villains. One thing I'm really worried about is that Johns builds up Atlantis to such an extent that it becomes the sole focus of every Aquaman story. This is basically what happened with GL - ever since Sinestro Corps War, nearly every GL story has had something to do with rings of some sort. I'm hoping that Aquaman doesn't fall into that trap.

The thing is this though...I can't really think of a good surface-world villain that could be revamped, most of Arthur's baddies are water-based. Only one that springs to mind is Qwsp but ugh...I'm not the biggest fan of the 5th Dimension. Maybe Johns might have to make one - possibly tie it in to the Others? Who knows.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@veshark: That's very true, I actually can't think of a single one off the top of my head that can be reimagined. I mean there are plenty pre 52 that I'd like to see, but they're all sea related. Aquaman being tied to land and sea means he needs enemies who are the same.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes i think aquaman is ready to settledown with Mera nd have a baby

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

i just want to see a tempest / aqualad

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.