New 52 Aquaman Respect Thread

#251 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Here dude

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/aquaman-2011/aquaman-24

there's also a Bedard interview (who is co-writing the Black Manta and Ocean Master Villains Month issues)

where he describes AQ as "super-strong Titan" and "godlike being".

http://www.newsarama.com/18215-bedard-on-villains-month-black-manta-batman-ocean-master-war-on-terror.html

Can't wait for "Villain's Month". Definitely picking up these two issues for sure. They also said it'll tie into Aquaman's mythology rather than be just standalone issues.

#252 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8587 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material: Me too!!! 3 weeks to the villains month,let's see waht this will bring for aquaman. Maybe will revealed that the First King is Tirton,son of poseidon.

#253 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material: Me too!!! 3 weeks to the villains month,let's see waht this will bring for aquaman. Maybe will revealed that the First King is Tirton,son of poseidon.

Right? They haven't said who he is yet, but by the looks of it I highly believe it's Triton.

#254 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8587 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material: They're very similar and would be good tie Aquaman,with greek mythology

#255 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio
#256 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8587 posts) - - Show Bio
#257 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed on tying him to the Greek Mythology (makes perfect sense and is in accordance with the character's previous continuity), but I highly doubt it's gonna be Triton.

The Dead King has not mentioned Poseidon yet, which he would if he was Triton.

I believe he might be a reworking of King Neptune or a completely new character.

#258 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Some Aquaman feats from the Trinity War.

@mighty_dude @matchesmalone21: @raw_material: @blackwind: @jwalser3: @lady_toyano

Superhuman jump and attack vs Hawkman, pretty fast also since Hawkman is a pretty fast flyer (in another thread it was mentioned that he can reach 500 mph in the new 52)

Aquaman tries to restrain a Pandora Box powered Wonder Woman. She hits him but he tanks the hit showing superhuman durability. Frankenstein also mentions Aquaman and himself as those capable of stopping Wonder Woman.

Aquaman attacks the Pandora Box wielding Frankenstein (with Hawkman and Black Orchid) and seem to subdue him.

Tangles with Frankenstein again, showing Super Strength, considering Frankenstein held his own against Wonder Woman and Shazam. He is also fine next time he is shown on panel.

Finally after the entire fight he is still fine until Zatanna teleports with the Box and Constantine. Also Frankenstein can be seen fighting against Wonder Woman.

#259 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8587 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: They're much alike to be a new character. Actually she's under the Box control not powered by it,btw thanks for the scans.

#260 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Yeah they seem to be possessed and certainly angrier when holding the box. Anyway AQ has looked OK so far in this event although he is not featured in a prominent role, so no complaints.

#261 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8587 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: I can't wait to read Justice League 23.....mind blowing.

#262 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Next week is bound to be huge for AQ since we get Aquaman 23 and JL 23. Hopefully there will be plenty of reasons to update the respect thread.

#263 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8587 posts) - - Show Bio
#264 Edited by Justthatkid (3348 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze: @Blood1991: @JayMar89: Full sequence

Controlling the sea life
Aquaman make Hal shut his mouth

Greatest ability ever.. Maybe it works on Guy.

#265 Posted by BlackWind (5955 posts) - - Show Bio

Just saying, him catching an airborne Hawkman doesn't mean much if he wasn't in motion. Pretty unquantifiable, IMO.

#266 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: He is in motion.

The previous panel shows Hawkman (and the majority of both Leagues) on land, before the fight begins. There's also a shot of Hawkman's feet leaving the ground to take to the sky as the Atom tries to stop the fight.

Furthermore it's the beginning of the fight and AQ's attack take's the same time as it takes for Flash (using superspeed) to dodge Vibe as is evident from the pic.

Finally there's also the artwork, which is kinda blurry when it comes to AQ, an effect used in showcasing speed. Similar to the artwork used in Throne of Atlantis when AQ blitzed WW and Ocean Master.

#267 Edited by BlackWind (5955 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: I don't think I can accept that one. It just looks unclear to me. Besides, 500 mph isn't even a big deal. I'm sure Aquaman could tag faster people, so I won't bother myself with it.

#268 Posted by Supermanwithatan01 (3573 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: would you say Arthur is a capable opponent against Superman or the Martian?

#269 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: You might be right of course, although I maintain it's quite fast based on the artwork mainly.

#270 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman stomps Hawkman either way.

#271 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Some minor feats and character moments.

Super Leaping,he also suspects that Batman is not telling him and Cyborg the whole truth

Super Hearing, Superman asks Arthur if he can hear something that a normal human couldn't

Leadership, even at a JL meeting AQ still has more responsibilities than the rest JL, since he is concerned with Atlantean military operations being the king and all.

Experience, Aquaman recalls a previous team up with Vixen against Human Flying Fish (!!!) and has some laughs. Nice moment.

Aquaman warrants a special contingency plan from Batman, as do the rest of the JL big guns. Similar to the way AQ had a contigency plan for Bruce when he created the Atlantean War Plans.

#272 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Feats from JL #23 and Aquaman #23

@mighty_dude @matchesmalone21: @raw_material: @blackwind: @jwalser3: @lady_toyanon @justthatkid

JL #23 (heroes under the influence of Pandora's Box)

Durability / Trident, AQ survives Darkseid's grab and slices through his arm with the Trident

Experience, Seen fighting Starro, Weapons Master and being held prisoner by Professor Ivo to power Amazo.

Reflexes / Fighting Skill / Durability, he blocks Hawkman's strike, get's sucker punched by Martian Manhunter (which destroys the surroundings) disguised as Mera, but he is not out as we see later

Durability, get's taken by surprise by the newly formed Grid which starts blasting the heroes and then still not KOed he gets attacked by Power Ring during the course of the fight. The fight is not over yet.

And because he looks awesome here's Sea King, Earth 3's version of Aquaman (hope to see much more from him...). The only other time we have seen an Earth 3 Aquaman, was an one panel (very small panel without enough detail) cameo as Barracuda from the Syndicate Rules storyline pre Flashpoint.

Aquaman #23

Durability / Super Speed / Healing (?), Aquaman (and Mera) speed up to get away from the Xebelians (who also purse them at super speed). AQ also seems fine after the Dead King's brutal attack from last issue.

Durability / Super Strength, Aquaman get's attacked by Nereus and his hard water powers and lifts some debris after the attack

Super Speed, Aquaman blitzes 3 of Scavenger's henchmen before they can tag Urn

Leadership / Strategy, AQ being a King and ordering his army to follow his orders in order to try a new plan...

Telepathy (summoning) / Telepathy (control), Aquaman summons Topo (who obliterates the Scavenger's fleet) and manages to subdue him after some strain.

He only blacks out when the Dead King arrives and uses his Scepter (or maybe from the strain but a good feat nonetheless)

#273 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8587 posts) - - Show Bio
#274 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio
#275 Posted by jwalser3 (4829 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, these are nice. Love Sea King!

#276 Posted by patrat18 (9442 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: Great scans man i coulden't believed what he did with Topo.

#277 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@patrat18: Thx dude! It's Aquaman's best telepathy feat so far, and some nice speed ones. Can't wait for villains month and more info on Black Manta and Ocean Master.

@jwalser3: I hope Johns uses him much more in the next few months.The design is crazy good and also a nod to PAD's 90s Aquaman (drawn by Ivan Reis !), a perfect visual tribute to one of Aquaman's best periods (and a joke that that period is gone).

#278 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8587 posts) - - Show Bio
#279 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn Aquaman is a beast

#280 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio
#281 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8587 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: I've cry when read that part and also I pick up some of your quotes to use in another respect threads,if you don't mind...

#282 Edited by DEADPOOL (2703 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Sea King die?

Aquaman always gets the shaft, in most of his incarnations.

#283 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio
#284 Posted by BlackWind (5955 posts) - - Show Bio

Feats weren't anything to scream about this time, IMO. Nice to see Arthur seriously lose one tho.

#285 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Some feats and some info about Aquaman's skills and training.

The Aquaman / Hawkman fight

Super Leaping / Super Strength / Skills and is unscathed from the huge brawl.

Super Senses, feels the ARGUS agent trying to take the Trident, while talking with Flash. Also Hawkman receives treatment for the previous battle (but he also fought Wonder Woman).

Training / Respect, the Goverment and ARGUS consider the big 7 of the Justice League (Aquaman and Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Cyborg) to be the most respected and professional force on the DC Earth).

Training, Ocean Master comments on the JL Reserve's lack of training and focus compared to the Atlantean Army.

Training, by Vulko, advisor to the Throne of Atlantis (and able to nearly send two worlds at war).

Training / Strategist, Aquaman was also mentored by Dr.Shin who is DC Earth's expert on Atlantis and Atlantean physiology. It's also mentioned again Aquaman as a king co-wrote the Atlantean War Plans.

#286 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Some more minor Aquaman feats

Superhuman Leaping / Resistance to Cold: Aquaman isn't bothered by Antarctic temperatures and leaps a big distance while casually carrying Vulko

Superhuman Strength / Immunity to Cold: He gets encased in magic ice and then casually breaks free later, when he learns the secrets of the Dead King.

Superhuman Durability: A possessed Aquaman charges and get's shot point blank multiple times by Teela's Eternian weapons, with seemingly no effect.

Superhuman Strength: Aquaman, Superman and Wonder Woman are called "the strongest people on Earth".

#287 Posted by BlackWind (5955 posts) - - Show Bio

This makes me happy(in my pants) It seems Atlan, in part, hasn't been abandoned. And it looks like Arthur is still, in part, Orin. I'm not surprised there is deceit and betrayal in Atlantis, in fact, this is what we want. The mythos building is going great.

#288 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16188 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: Where's the last scan from? With the statement about WW/AQ/Supes

#289 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: It's from JLA #8

@blackwind: Yeah I agree. Issue 24 was amazing.

Johns pulled a massive "Green Lantern" and (re)opened wide the Aquaman mythos.

What's better he did it based on Peter David's Atlantis stuff, which is great and appropriate.

#290 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16188 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: Gotcha. Thanks. Not reading that book currently myself.

#291 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio
#292 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16188 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: Yeah I picked up those issues for the crossovers, but I haven't picked up the rest of them. Not real interested in any of the characters tbh.

#293 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Oh I would prefer some changes in the roster also.

But yeah I was not a regular reader of the title before Trinity War.

#294 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Some quantifiable context on Aquaman's leaping and charging speed on land.

So we see Aquaman jumping instantly in the middle of Boston where a robbery takes place

After that it's confirmed that he came from the harbor.

Boston's harbor according to Google maps is roughly between 3 and 8 miles (depending on where exactly he was when he leapt to stop the robbery). More specifically the port is 3 miles away from downtown Boston, while the harbor is at 8 miles.

Now since he intercepts the robbers instantly and accounting for all his other feats where his leaping is near instant (the speedblitz against Wonder Woman in Throne of Atlantis, tackling Hawkman in Trinity War, saving Mera before she falls of a roof while he is on a different building, etc) let's say it took him between 1 and lets say 2 seconds to get there (especially since he lands exactly in front of the speeding car and if he was slower he would miss the pursuit).

So if we take the minimum distance of 3 miles then Aquaman's speed is 10800 miles per hour or 5400 miles per hour if it takes him more than a second to get there.

If the distance is greater and not minimum let's say 5,5 miles, then his speed translates to 19800 mph or 9900 mph if it takes him more than a second.

Etc.

In other words Aquaman's charging / leaping speed (on land) is either Hypersonic or High Hypersonic.

That make's sense considering the characters he has been able to tackle in combat like

First scan he tackles a flying Hawkman, second is a blitz against Wonder Woman and in the fourth and third (the order is reversed) he jumps and catches Mera who is on a different building before she falls.

This in addition to his hypersonic swimming speed, make's Aquaman one of the fastest non flying bricks in comicdom.

#295 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11:AQ=miserable speed on land next to superman and WW.

and superman and WW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hawkman's speed.

#296 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: Hahahaha sore looser.

Please refrain from such petty hate.

This is a respect thread. I don't wanna have to post our entire debate in the WW boards and how you yourself admitted WW has similar speed with Aquaman (even when you did it unintentionally thinking you would make Aquaman look bad).

So for anyone who's wondering the above poster stated that AQ can't tag WW because she has High Hypersonic speed feats. But I guess he didn't know that if someone calculated AQ's leaping / charging speed, he would reach a similar result.

#297 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: Hahahaha sore looser.

Please refrain from such petty hate.

This is a respect thread. I don't wanna have to post our entire debate and how you yourself admitted WW has similar speed with Aquaman.

i never admited and you can't prove he is as fast as her on lan,lapping is nothing,he can't fight at super speed like she does on land.

#298 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: He can charge and tag her.

Even if he can't land 1000 hits per second, he can most certainly charge her.

And although I doubt you have any shred of honesty as evident by your spiteful comment in a respect thread, did you or did you not yourself say that her speed is High Hypersonic in New 52?

Just a simple yes or no will do.

#299 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: He can charge and tag her.

Even if he can't land 1000 hits per second, he can most certainly charge her.

And although I doubt you have any shred of honesty as evident by your spiteful comment in a respect thread, did you or did you not yourself say that her speed is High Hypersonic in New 52?

Just a simple yes or no will do.

he can not tag someone who can react faster than he can move,and jumping at her at super speed would be too easy to dodge/block/counter.

#300 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: Concession accepted!

You can't even bring yourself to type a simple YES or NO.

So are you gonna answer or should I post your entire rant from the WW boards?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.