New 52 Aquaman Respect Thread

#51 Posted by X9 (757 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is one of the best New 52 titles. The way characters are protrayed, the art work, the story-arcs, everything is great.

There's just one thing that's upsetting me: are people from Aquaman's comic retarded? They live in a world with magic, aliens, Greek Gods, Amazons... and still don't believe Atlantis is real? Some of them don't even believe Aquaman's powers? Are you kidding me, are you blind?!

I understand the underestimation thing is part of Geoff Johns writting ( and I thought it was brilliant to incorporate the jokes and opinions most people have about Aquaman as a character in his own comic) but it's revolting to see Arthur being treated as nothing. He saves people's life and they make fun of him, it's borderline stupid ¬¬

#52 Posted by redo7 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Great scans,.. pointing out how awesome Aquaman has been. One of the best comics out there, great story/art out of the new 52.

#53 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

@redo7: Totally agree. I dont read Green Lantern and I'm not a major Geoff Johns fan but I love his work on this book. And the art by Ivan Reis looks awesome. Aquaman is a badass.

#54 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

Read as much as I could of issue one but could not stand Johns smug, self satisfied central conceit.

#55 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how Aquaman is being written. And as far as them making fun of him...his reactions to it is what is currently building his character. Love his patience and ability to rise above. He knows who he is...everyone else be damned

#56 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@HowTerribleIsThat: LOL I see this,but I think it was very stupid of Johns, already lost his purpose to do so.

I mean people who do not like Aquaman, now it will respect

#57 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always preferred the underdog characters (e.g. Hulk, Moon Knight) and Aquaman definitely fits that category and has become one of my favourites.

#58 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5671 posts) - - Show Bio

@IIDEADxPOOLII said:

Pulling a ship

With one-arm at that.

#59 Edited by Z3RO180 (6588 posts) - - Show Bio

i do like aquaman in the new 52 i just ink having him lift a full ship that size is a bit much he shouldent be at superman level eaither i hope they keep up the great work they are doing with the title.

#60 Edited by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminds me Superman does not have very many pure strength feats. Neither does Wonder Woman. Speaking strictly of New 52. Honestly, Aquaman has more probably. Still wonder what Manta makes his suit out of if he can take blows from a guy who can lift a transatlantic cruise ship.

as for the press seems accurate quite a few are that bad in real life.

#61 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Deserves a quote.

Love this picture

#62 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio
#63 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio
As a kid controlling the sea life
Throw Black Manta at a car,with enough force to dent it
Ripping a metal door
Aquaman's skin is so durable that is capable to break a harpoon at close range (in the time he was a teenager)
Take multiple laser shots at close range and leave with few wounds

#64 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

Shouldn't these threads be titled "Feats of Strength" rather than "Respect"? :)

#65 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: why?

#66 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: I was only joking. I just found it was funny that feats of strength was all that was being discussed in a thread about "respecting" someone :)

#67 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

Ivan Reis is a genius.

#68 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: LOL

#69 Posted by DEADPOOL (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

@matchesmalone21: I was only joking. I just found it was funny that feats of strength was all that was being discussed in a thread about "respecting" someone :)

True, but one could argue that Aquaman's strength is perhaps his least respected attribute which may be why it's so valued here.

#70 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEADPOOL: Tottaly agreed!!!

#71 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Recoil1985: @nj06: @IIDEADxPOOLII: @Connoronnor: @mighty dude: @haydenclaireheroes: @KainScion: @FullmetalChobit: : @TDK_1997:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/who-is-your-favorite-justice-league-founder-one-choice/681915/

#72 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio
#73 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man: LOL

#74 Edited by Wolfrazer (6887 posts) - - Show Bio

Now we just need for him to whoop on other heroes, I mean seeing as every other hero has done so why not Aquaman? A point about his strength though, if he lives deep in the water where it would crush a man otherwise and he lives pretty sure he would have incredible strength living under there for so long and taking the intense pressure.

#75 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: @Wolfrazer: @Rumble Man: @DEADPOOL: @sethysquare: @Skaddix: New Scans. This was one of the most impressive endurance feats,jump from a plane at several meters above sea level in a high speed, supporting the air pressure

Superspeed

#76 Posted by Wolfrazer (6887 posts) - - Show Bio
@matchesmalone21:  Its because hes Aquaman!
#77 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Not to mention the forces involved with hitting the water from such height.

#78 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Speed force underwater O_O

#79 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man:LOL

@Danial79: Yeah,I forgets that!! Definitely he is more powerful than ever!!

@Wolfrazer: LOl before everyone say he's Batman and now with Aquaman!!!!!

#80 Posted by Alexander505 (2144 posts) - - Show Bio

Very awesome..

#81 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Alexander505: Thanks!!!

#82 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

@IIDEADxPOOLII said:

Super leaping out of the way of an avalanche

Something that should be added to this feat is the fact that he's handling Arctic temperatures wearing only pants :)

#83 Posted by TheGraySon (457 posts) - - Show Bio

@Connoronnor said:

It's hard to believe that Green Lantern was pretty underrated before Geoff Johns picked him up. Hopefully Aquaman becomes just as much as a sensation as that, and the way this series is going certainly makes it seem that way.

i hope so man. aquaman jokes are getting hella old, even after books like subdiego people still hated.

#84 Posted by VenomousDragon (855 posts) - - Show Bio

I never was that into aquaman but this looks pretty badass actually, I might have to start reading this series.

#85 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGraySon: Now Aquaman is Dc's car chief!!! The Sub Diego storyline had potential, but due to the indifference of the people can't be continued, we could have seen Aquaman fighting with Vandal Savage, the real responsible for the events, which was only revealed in Sword of Atlantis

@Danial79: Nice catch man,I forget that!!!

@VenomousDragon: You will love his comics!!

#86 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

New Aquaman fan. Right here. Good job guys.

#87 Posted by termiteone4ever (7550 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how they did Aquaman over. The old Aquaman was indeed powerful . YEt family Guy made him look bad to old and new fans with that silly joke , THis comics new comic gives you run down just how powerful he is .Still the older Aquaman was well over powered lol

#88 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Thanks!!!

@termiteone4ever: Let's prey that Aqua-jokes have a finish

#89 Posted by TheCommissar (143 posts) - - Show Bio

@termiteone4ever: Big Bang Theory didn't help, either.

#90 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCommissar: Not to mention amount of other series that ridicules him

Reposting scans from issue 1 (Full sequence)

Super leaping
Lifting a armored truck
Deflecting bullets
Another Super-Leaping
#91 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

I know we saw him shrug off bullets in #1, but this time we see him do it without any armour. They seem to effect him about as much as paintballs do to us :)

#92 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this isn't the Mera Respect Thread, but damn if this isn't an awesome feat :)

#93 Posted by EmperorAC (7 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

I know this isn't the Mera Respect Thread, but damn if this isn't an awesome feat :)

She claims to be faster then aquaman idk bout that. lol

#94 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

@EmperorAC: Well she can control water, so perhaps she uses that to give her an added boost :)

#95 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio
Controlling sea life
Deflecting bullets
Endurance feat,holding on several pillars that fell on him
Lifting a huge pilar
Lifting huge rocks

@Danial79: Nice scan,Geoff Johns makes Mera do the same as him, just that contrary...can Arthur do the same??

@EmperorAC: @TheCommissar: More scans

#96 Posted by TheGraySon (457 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: We also see that hes more than willing to kill henchmen lmao. Just tosses the trident at him.

#97 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGraySon: Oh yeahh,Arthur doesn't care to kill

#98 Posted by GreenKnight100 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

Love this thread!

#99 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio
#100 Posted by Gibbet (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: That is one big ass fork

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.