Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4626 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Many Questions

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DanialCarroll

I recently re-read the series so far and I picked up on a few things that have yet to be explained and wanted to write them down so everyone can keep their eyes peeled for answers and maybe spit-ball some ideas beforehand:

• Shin's Scar: Shin has a large scar on the right side of his neck and in the "Six Years Ago" flashback, it has gauss over it, so must have been recent at the time.
    • Trench Origins: Shin says they're a "new chain of evolution", and they're not effected by Arthur's telepathy, so they mustn't originally be sea creatures.
    • Aquaman's Weakness: When in the desert, did he need water any more than a normal person would in his situation? In previous incarnations he needed to touch water every few hours or so. Does he still need to?
    • Data Recorder: Why did the Atlanteans need the data recorder? It was supposedly centuries old, so why would it be so important now?
    • Atlantis' Enemy: The recording mentioned a great storm arising when they pursued their enemy. Is there an existing Aquaman character that has this ability? Could it be Mera's father? Mera seems a little shocked when Arthur says Shin will tell them who sank Atlantis.
    • Shin's Phantom Caller: Someone called Shin just before Arthur arrived the second time and hangs up right away. Who was it?
    • Trench Connection: Shin says the Trench has a "bigger connection to all of this than we think." Mera asks, "Connection to what?" but is ignored as the hologram starts up.
    • Trident Glow: Just before Ya'wara teleports into Shin's house, Mera mentions that Arthur's trident is glowing. It's obviously something she's never seen before, so what does it mean?
    • Shin and Manta:Is Shin involved with Manta? He says he's not. Manta announces his arrival to the Psychiatric Hospital to someone, but is it Shin? Probably too obvious.
    • The Others: How did Arthur become involved with The Others? This is something I would really love to see, though it's only a year or so of his life, so there might not be that much to tell.
    • Justice League: Arthur says he sent a signal to Vostok through his "old Justice League communicator". Why "old"? Is he not part of the Justice League at the time of this series?
    • Manta's Strength: Is Manta superpowered? Aquaman was able to flip a truck and shrug off bullets, yet Manta was able to takes his punches and retaliate by throwing Aquaman through a window 5 metres away?

So there's all my unanswered questions so far. Aquaman #11 is out this week, so no doubt there will be even more to add. Hopefully there will be a few I can cross off too. Does anyone know any of the answers? Is there something I might have missed? Do you have questions of your own you'd like to add?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@Danial79: It's out of order

1) Justice League: He still part of the team. What he meant by old,is simply a prior version of his Communicator.

2) Atlantis' Enemy ,Trench ConnectionandTrench Origins: Everything is connected,in last Thrench appearance is show that they came from an ancient atlantean ship that was buried in the deep ocean,indicating that they were in ancient Atlantis and perhaps it is creation of this enemy. Ocean Master in my theory and not Mera's father,because he seems to be a separatist.

3) Data Recorder: It is nothing more as a kind of book to be passed to future generations and possibly serves as a warning or call for assistance to allied nations,well has not been shown yet, but it is possible that there Atlantean colonies around the globe.

4) Aquaman's Weakness: He is tougher than before and much more resistant than humans,he was in the desert for hours, any human being dehydrated in minutes. Remember that in most of his adventures is on mainland so he has a house in Amnesty Bay and don't come into constant contact with water.

5) Shin and Manta: Yes, but not by free will,he is being threatened or blackmailed to help him or maybe Manta offered something that Shin, badly needs to regain his reputation back.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DanialCarroll

Another question is when in his timeline he met Mera. It was obviously within the last 5 years because the year before that was when he was with The Others.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial79: Not necessarily,they may have known each other too long before and had acted out of the spotlight of the media, like Batman. The heroes did not come during the five years set by Dc, some already existed only that the public had no knowledge or thinking they were simply urban legends

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DanialCarroll

@matchesmalone21: I was going off the timeline from Aquaman's book. Arthur's Dad was killed 6 years ago and he's crying alone in his house, but then dives into the ocean saying he does't belong. Then one year later, we see him rise from the ocean sporting his Others costume and trident. Surely if he was with Mera she would have been there consoling him after his Father's death, and I'm pretty sure she would have known of The Others. She would have been like, "Where did you get that cool trident, Babe?" :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial79: Hmmm,make sense

TheGraySon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By TheGraySon

@Danial79 said:

I recently re-read the series so far and I picked up on a few things that have yet to be explained and wanted to write them down so everyone can keep their eyes peeled for answers and maybe spit-ball some ideas beforehand:

• Shin's Scar: Shin has a large scar on the right side of his neck and in the "Six Years Ago" flashback, it has gauss over it, so must have been recent at the time.
    • Trench Origins: Shin says they're a "new chain of evolution", and they're not effected by Arthur's telepathy, so they mustn't originally be sea creatures.
    • Aquaman's Weakness: When in the desert, did he need water any more than a normal person would in his situation? In previous incarnations he needed to touch water every few hours or so. Does he still need to?
    • Data Recorder: Why did the Atlanteans need the data recorder? It was supposedly centuries old, so why would it be so important now?
    • Atlantis' Enemy: The recording mentioned a great storm arising when they pursued their enemy. Is there an existing Aquaman character that has this ability? Could it be Mera's father? Mera seems a little shocked when Arthur says Shin will tell them who sank Atlantis.
    • Shin's Phantom Caller: Someone called Shin just before Arthur arrived the second time and hangs up right away. Who was it?
    • Trench Connection: Shin says the Trench has a "bigger connection to all of this than we think." Mera asks, "Connection to what?" but is ignored as the hologram starts up.
    • Trident Glow: Just before Ya'wara teleports into Shin's house, Mera mentions that Arthur's trident is glowing. It's obviously something she's never seen before, so what does it mean?
    • Shin and Manta:Is Shin involved with Manta? He says he's not. Manta announces his arrival to the Psychiatric Hospital to someone, but is it Shin? Probably too obvious.
    • The Others: How did Arthur become involved with The Others? This is something I would really love to see, though it's only a year or so of his life, so there might not be that much to tell.
    • Justice League: Arthur says he sent a signal to Vostok through his "old Justice League communicator". Why "old"? Is he not part of the Justice League at the time of this series?
    • Manta's Strength: Is Manta superpowered? Aquaman was able to flip a truck and shrug off bullets, yet Manta was able to takes his punches and retaliate by throwing Aquaman through a window 5 metres away?

So there's all my unanswered questions so far. Aquaman #11 is out this week, so no doubt there will be even more to add. Hopefully there will be a few I can cross off too. Does anyone know any of the answers? Is there something I might have missed? Do you have questions of your own you'd like to add?

• Trench origins: I dont think that they weren't effected, but they are developed enough to carry their own language. The reason i mention that is because he states in New 52 that he doesnt talk to marine animals, he forcibly makes them do something(except dolphins). When hes on the dock with Mera, i dont know if it was super hearing or his telepathy, but from the looks of the text bubble i think it was his telepathy, but he hears "food"(in their language) repeated like three times then he warns everyone. Then, while hes fighting one of them he uses his telepathy. The creature recoils, then fights back. Im hoping that these creatures are resistant to telepathy and they havent weakened Arthurs telepathy. From older versions he was able to make contact with anything that evolved from a marine form which includes humans, so even if they had a trace of marine ancestry he should have been able to control them. What i was think is in the later issue of the trench, when he was controlling the angler fish, they over rid his telepathy and turned around because of their survival instincts. These creatures were starving right? Their instinct was to collect food and take it to their queen before their race could become extinct. So maybe the first time he caught them with telepathy, he heard the strange language. Then the second time, mid battle, he tried to control one and the creature resisted because it was trying to survive. Anyway, i really hope they didnt weaken Arthurs telepathy. I was looking forward to seeing a lot more of it than control marine life.
    • Aquamans weakness: I dont think its because hes been away from water too long, he was walking the desert for a while, anyone would be dehydrated. When he does find the helmet full of water, he doesnt pour it on himself or anything. He sticks the glyph in it. I was thinking that was the reason why he said "i need water"? But being dehyrdated makes more sense
    • Data Recorder: Maybe they wanted the ships info butcouldnt get to it because they couldnt risk going toe to toe with the creatures. It could also be them protecting their hidden life from the rest of the world. If the scientists had put it in salt water they would have figured out that atlantis does actually exist and everyone would try to get to it.
    • Shin and Manta: Dont think theyre involved together, Shin said at the end of 11, but im guessing you know this already cause this is a late post.
    • Mantas strength: Yes he does have augmented strength and durability thanks to his suit, along with other uses.
    • Justice league: This part hella confused me too, but @matchesmalone21: might be right about using an older model just to contact him.
    • Trident glow: When two or more are used together they glow, as shown in #11, but again you probably already know this by now.
    • The others: No idea.
    • Atlantis's enemy: I dont think his enemies are capable of sinking atlantis. I know Arthur did it once after it rose but thats about it.

@matchesmalone21: I want to hear your thoughts on this as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.