King of Atlantis

#1 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

As you already know, Aquaman has regained position as the rightful heir to the throne of Atlantis (thanks to Vulko) and is once again roaming around the ocean full time as Ruler of the Seven Seas. What are your thoughts on the direction Geoff Johns has taken with Aquaman to dive back into his underwater adventures? What specific characters would you like to see make re-appearances in the New 52 series and what are some stories you'd want to see go down now that Johns has set foot in a direction that will expand on Aquaman's mythology? And do you think Aquaman has the capability to protect all sea life, as well as trying to prove to the surface world that he, and Atlantis have the desire to make an alliance with them?

#2 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Express & Impress ^_^

#3 Posted by BlackWind (6334 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he doesn't get completely separated from land. One(stupid) complainant about aquatic heroes is that underwater scenes are boring. But Aquaman is tied to the land and sea, he can't do one without the other for good.

I'd like more Atlantis to be explored, not just Poseidonis. Show how far and wide the undersea nation spreads. An I'd like some nonhuman Atlanteans too.

#4 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio
I AM YOUR KING!
...And I won't fail you again.
#5 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

First Mission as King of Atlantis in the New 52 Series:

Aquaman #17

#6 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@ckuakini: Nice avatar dude!

I like the direction Johns is taking AQ (king of Atlantis) and want to see everything that Johns can create/recreate with Atlantis and it's mythology.

But that doesn't mean he has to stay exclusively underwater. I trust Johns and believe he will deliver some sick underwater action in the new arc.

Having said that the characters I mostly want to see are Atlan (as an ancestor of AQ), the (reimagined, mystical hopefully) Fisherman and the Deep Six for the sheer scope of the threat.

#7 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11 said:

@ckuakini: Nice avatar dude!

I like the direction Johns is taking AQ (king of Atlantis) and want to see everything that Johns can create/recreate with Atlantis and it's mythology.

But that doesn't mean he has to stay exclusively underwater. I trust Johns and believe he will deliver some sick underwater action in the new arc.

Having said that the characters I mostly want to see are Atlan (as an ancestor of AQ), the (reimagined, mystical hopefully) Fisherman and the Deep Six for the sheer scope of the threat.

I agree and believe they'll keep this story arc mostly underwater, however they will be touching up on the relationship and perspectives of both Atlantis and the surface world. Murk also says to Tula he wants to go to the surface world and rescue Orm from Belle Reve Prison, themselves so I think Johns will have them visit the air-breathing world.

Think Aquaman's doing a fairly good job as the king of Atlantis and have set Atlanteans into a different yet seemingly lawful direction of justice and order. However, Murk and a few others may think otherwise.

And I'm pretty sure Johns is re-introducing not only Tula and Scavenger, but also seeing the return of King Poseidon in the next issues after having seen what comes in Aquaman #18.

#8 Edited by Akindoodle (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I've always wondered about this. Surely Atlantis can't be ALL the Seven Seas, right? I mean, Aquaman is the king of ALL Atlantis but exactly what constitutes as ALL of Atlantis? Because I don't think other countries would just sit around and let some "King" (technical and legal jargon, hence the quotes) tell them that he owns 70% of the world. And since Atlantis is a sovereign state (I think), is it part of the UN? and if not, should it be? and Why?

#9 Posted by Akindoodle (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

@reefermadness: Sorry forgot to tag you. The above post is meant for you.

#10 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I've always wondered about this. Surely Atlantis can't be ALL the Seven Seas, right? I mean, Aquaman is the king of ALL Atlantis but exactly what constitutes as ALL of Atlantis? Because I don't think other countries would just sit around and let some "King" (technical and legal jargon, hence the quotes) tell them that he owns 70% of the world. And since Atlantis is a sovereign state (I think), is it part of the UN? and if not, should it be? and Why?

Atlantis is practically the only continent of the underwater world and Aquaman's Royal family ruled in the capital city of Atlantis, Poseidonis. The royal palace of all Atlantis was located in the heart of Poseidonis and had been the seat of power for all of Atlantis' rulers for millennia. He is king of Atlantis, meaning all cities of Atlantis. Being leader and royal blood of a strong underwater continent, he puts it upon himself to protect all of the seven seas from harm, evidently being the unofficial "King of the Seven Seas". It has been stated that Atlantis was once a powerful and striving nation, however now the government is quite hesitate to accept them into the UN and think of them as a major threat after the events that happened during 'Throne of Atlantis'. I mean, I think they should be apart of the UN, being a stable and striving continent with it's own laws, government, and culture like every other country in the UN, so I don't see why not.

I hope I got my point across to you and helped to give you the information you wanted to hear. Good questions bro. Had me thinking for a little bit.

I'm sure there's other reasons I find hard to remember, but I'll mention them once they pop up.

#11 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle: And as of right now, Aquaman is trying to make them believe that Atlantis has the desire to help the surface world and be of an alliance instead of letting them think that they are a vicious, unstable nation.

#12 Posted by Akindoodle (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

@reefermadness: Thanks for the answer on the UN. But you said something along the lines of 'Atlantis is a continent. Aquaman is King of Atlantis and therefore, ruler of said continent'. My problem is this, if I manage to swim down to the depths of the ocean in say, the Red Sea or the Gulf of Aden on the other side of the world, as far removed from the nosy US as possible, would I be in Atlantian territory? If so, would he for example, have the right to attack Somalian pirates or stop travel across the sea because of the harm it caused his people? Also, is Aquaman supreme and sole ruler of Atlantis? I remember hearing of some other kings and queens like Clea who don't necassarily acknowledge him as their high king (if he is in fact high king)

I'm only trying to equate certain things in my head. I like little shout outs to real life if situations like these are brought up in comics (e.g. the whole Max Lord killed by a UN ambassador fiasco from the OMAC story years ago)

#13 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

@reefermadness: Thanks for the answer on the UN. But you said something along the lines of 'Atlantis is a continent. Aquaman is King of Atlantis and therefore, ruler of said continent'. My problem is this, if I manage to swim down to the depths of the ocean in say, the Red Sea or the Gulf of Aden on the other side of the world, as far removed from the nosy US as possible, would I be in Atlantian territory? If so, would he for example, have the right to attack Somalian pirates or stop travel across the sea because of the harm it caused his people? Also, is Aquaman supreme and sole ruler of Atlantis? I remember hearing of some other kings and queens like Clea who don't necassarily acknowledge him as their high king (if he is in fact high king)

I'm only trying to equate certain things in my head. I like little shout outs to real life if situations like these are brought up in comics (e.g. the whole Max Lord killed by a UN ambassador fiasco from the OMAC story years ago)

That's actually a great question, as I seemed to see where you were getting to form the first post. I'll have to take to Johns via Twitter about that one. However, he is known to have taken on foreign villains such as Nazi Commanders, sea-criminalized pirates, smugglers, and other threats to Atlantis and the surface world. Aquaman has been associated with the Justice League International and the United Nations before and has also traveled to the Pacific Ocean, all around Atlantic Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and have been depicted of adventuring all around the world. Other than that, I'm not sure. Hopefully Johns will touch up on this in a story arc or something. Although, as I can remember in Aquaman #18, Aquaman has everyone in his army searching for lost Atlantean weaponry all over the Seven Seas, seemingly taking authority in all parts of the ocean. Besides his enemies, there are some Atlanteans that don't think he's the supreme ruler of Atlantis such as Murk who believes Orm is the rightful king. And this revengeful, forgotten king of the seas that appeared in these last two issue also thinks otherwise and will probably touch up a little of what you're asking in later issues of Aquaman.

#14 Posted by Akindoodle (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

@reefermadness: Alright then. Thanks for the reply. If you do take it to Johns, could you please let me know? I'd love to hear how he'd tackle (i.e dig himself out of) that

#15 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle: This current story arc 'Death of a King' will probably elaborate more on what you're trying question.

#16 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Another task, Aquaman will take in issue #23. Trying to capture Scavenger, the weapons thief stealing all of Atlantean's advanced tech. Is this the real Scavenger or just a trick so that he could have time to escape with more weapons?

#17 Posted by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material: I don't think it's actually him. Because the Scavenger would get slaughtered, lol. Unless that's Johns' goal

#18 Posted by MarcosVergara14 (448 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it's one of the best runs for aquaman i mean he allways was really underrated with the new 52 he has won respect of the readers Jhons has done a really good job hiving him the place that he deserves in the JL and in comics in general

#19 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it's one of the best runs for aquaman i mean he allways was really underrated with the new 52 he has won respect of the readers Jhons has done a really good job hiving him the place that he deserves in the JL and in comics in general

I agree and think it takes a specific writer(s) to showcase a specific character(s) true potential; for example Grant Morrison and Batman or the more recent Geoff Johns and Aquaman relationships.

#20 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (936 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe Johns' run on Aquaman is still in its early days, so i expect him to stay on as long as he did in the Flash or probably even his long stint with the GL line. He's got alot of passion for that character, and you can see it just by the way he writes Orin and the other characters surrounding Aquaman. By the end of his run (a sad day that will be!), i believe Aquaman's universe or in this case 'ocean-verse' will be as big and expansive as the GL universe. Even in the current arc, there seems to be factions among the atlanteans, like the people of Xebel or Mera's people... i can't wait to see what's gonna happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.