Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Is Aquaman Brawler or a MA?

mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Well?

Would he be able keep up with the likes of Nightwing, Batman, Daredevil or even Cable in h2h combat if he didn't have his strength and durability?

Has he had any note worthy fights thus far?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Aquaman excels in hand to hand combat. He was trained in Atlantis. He could probably take all of the guys you listed.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

im thinking he could have had atlantis military training. so yeah close quarters hand to hand combat but no real diversity.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always thought Aquaman has trained with the Atlantean military in h2h combat and never really thought of him as a sloppy fighter who lets his physical strength do all the work for him. I think he should have a very healthy mix of relying on his power and technique. It may have only been short, but anyone remember his chapter of the IGAU game where he whooped the asses of the Atlantean soldiers and then went in h2h against his counterpart? That's how I think of Aquaman as a fighter.

Avatar image for the_judge_since_83
    The_Judge_since_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would definitely say he's MA, you can see examples of this in a few different fights. In the new 52 in his own title, issue 13 where he breaks Black Manta's arm, and Brightest day issue 5 are two comics which stand out most in my mind where you see him fight, and the way he breaks Manta's arm or the Atlantean soldiers leg, in those and it really looks like he fights with style and precision like a Martial Artist. If you further back you can see more examples in things like year one and just general issues of Aquaman and Justice League but I wouldn't know what all those issues would be. As far as compared to the people on the list above I'd say he could go toe-to-toe with any of the characters mentioned, he's never had a problem with keeping up with most characters in a fight when it comes to technique and defending and landing strikes. I also am pretty sure, like some others have mentioned, that he's been trained by the Atlantean military. Which while knowing only one combat form generally lacks diversity, the beauty of military combat training is that normally it's a blend of a bunch of different forms of hand-to-hand combat styles with the most efficient, powerful, and useful teachings taken from each one and molded into one style to maximize efficiency when dealing with an opponent in melee combat. Which kind of explains why the two most recent examples I could think of involved him breaking limbs, easy to do and gets the opponent out of the fight quick and makes them think twice about rejoining the conflict.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By comicfan11

Pre-DCnU Aquaman had received Atlantean military training, and after some time he was the one training his elite soldiers in combat (confirmed in the 5 part mini series, the one with the evil jellyfish) and JLA training with Batman among others (can be seen during a flashback in the last JL series before the reboot). In addition he has shown training in swordsmanship (PAD AQ run, DC Planet annuals), archery (JLA Gatekeeper) and even healing and mending (JLA Gatekeeper, he patches up Superman, after he is struck by magic)

Post-DCnU he still seems to be a trained warrior (we already know he was the king before and the Atlanteans are even more militaristic than before, and AQ seems to be their best fighter by far - Throne of Atlantis). Furthermore he was part of the Others and their leader before the JLA so he also has that experience going for him (using tactics as a member of a team). Atlantean emphasis on training is shown in Flashpoint Emperor Aquaman where parts of his training are shown (h2h & melee weapons) and the Atlanteans are the same more or less in the DCnU.

AQ is definitely trained in martial arts (as shown in specific instances like the ones The_Judge_since_83 mentioned) plus he is also trained as a weapons wielder (trident) as shown in JL and AQ).

I don't know if a powerless AQ would take a majority against the first 3 h2h, but with the trident he could definitely score some wins. I do believe he might have the upper hand against Cable with the trident and a good chance without it.

Having said that AQ is one of the most skilled super strong characters (compared to characters like Hulk, Mammoth, Blockbuster, Rhino, etc)

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has a good mix of techniqie and strength, really. I'd quite like to see someone physically above him talk shit, but get defeated with Arthur being all, "You may overpower me, but you're a sloppy fighter." Just to prove he's quite aware he can provide finesse and strength.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Raw_Material

He's a brawler for sure. Not a Wolverine type of fighter where he's swings for the fences, but a more technical style.

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always thought Aquaman has trained with the Atlantean military in h2h combat and never really thought of him as a sloppy fighter who lets his physical strength do all the work for him. I think he should have a very healthy mix of relying on his power and technique. It may have only been short, but anyone remember his chapter of the IGAU game where he whooped the asses of the Atlantean soldiers and then went in h2h against his counterpart? That's how I think of Aquaman as a fighter.

couldn't have said it better

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.