Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

is aquaman a rip off Of namor?

• 81 results
    lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Some say he is some say he isnt. I just want to know...

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think so.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

No he is an improvement! In any shape or form.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RDClip

Based on what I know about Aquaman and reading the first paragraph on CV Namor wiki, I'd say yes. Their origin story is nearly identical with both being the Human/Atlantian hybred of a man and an Atlantian Princess. And the clincher is that Namor was first published two years before Aquaman. But, it was the golden age and rip-off characters were all over the place.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lifeofvibe

@rdclip: so technicaly hes not a rip off?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Namor is split down the middle, into Aquaman and Black Adam. They each took an arm and pulled. Adam got his looks and attitude. Aquaman got his powers and origin.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

You realize that neither of those characters were the first "king of the sea" type superhero?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

Who cares? The word "ripoff" is beginning to get annoying on this site.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Namor is split down the middle, into Aquaman and Black Adam. They each took an arm and pulled. Adam got his looks and attitude. Aquaman got his powers and origin.

Pretty much.

Though personally, I much prefer Aquaman over Namor anyway.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Namor 1939, Aquaman 1941.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

They're more like different takes on the same idea.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and black adam 1945

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spock 1966

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

They're more like different takes on the same idea.

Yeah, and it's not like Namor is the character that invented it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite: The idea is actually older than the language I am currently typing in by by a couple thousand years.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite: There are lots of ideas comic writers try to pass off as new and unique that have actually been around as long as humans have been telling stories like when Dan Slott tries to pass off his SpOck body swap like its a totally new thing that he came up with that hasn't been used in thousands if not millions of stories dating back to Babylonian and ancient Greek folk tales and myths.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

@joshmightbe: Yeah, there's not many really new ideas left, which is why the whole "rip off" kick that people on this site seem to be on is so annoying.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite: I agree, there isn't a single super hero or just fictional character in general that doesn't owe its inspiration to something that came long before it.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: how about VIBE? no before hand character and thats a fact

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

who cares? Marvel and DC haave soo many rip off/ similar characters. It doesn't matter.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Avatar image for phoenixsouvenir
    The_Absolute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Absolute

@squalleon: Aquaman (I can't say his name with snickering) is an 'improvement' to Namor? Aquaman? Aquaman. Aqua. Man. Aquaman is in the top five lamest superheroes of all time, in any universe. Any character can have a great story, but that's doesn't make them a great character. Ugh. I don't even want to continue this conversation.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Maybe Namor is a ripoff of Superman.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeofvibe: There are hundreds of characters who can control vibrations, He may be the first Latino to do it tho.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@jack_vii said:

@squalleon: Aquaman (I can't say his name with snickering) is an 'improvement' to Namor? Aquaman? Aquaman. Aqua. Man. Aquaman is in the top five lamest superheroes of all time, in any universe. Any character can have a great story, but that's doesn't make them a great character. Ugh. I don't even want to continue this conversation.

You lack any reasonable argument to make a conversation to begin with.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who cares? Marvel and DC haave soo many rip off/ similar characters. It doesn't matter.

this, and they both acknowledge the other just as much

this was a DC comic when they somehow got involved in parallel universes

Marvel's nightstalkers series paying homage to Superman after the "Death of Superman" arc

"Burried Alien" (Bart Allan) winning the race in Marvel of the Universe's fastest speedster (to the moon i think, Makkari won the later one).

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_vii: What makes you think he is lame?

Loading Video...

when you think about it, ALL superheroes are lame, if your logic hold water.

... Heh, water...

The_Absolute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: In my opinion, he has zero (ahem) depth and purpose. He's one of those character's who's only a superhero because he's in a comic book. By that I mean he's not larger or greater than the pages he's drawn and written on - unlike Spiderman, Batman, Wolverine or Superman. The latter characters carry a degree of weight, substance and meaning that. . . Aquaman. . . does not have. He's bland. There's no profound creativity in his character. Personality-wise, as a character he's still looking for one that works -same goes for Wonder Woman and Hal Jordan.

How I think he can be fixed -

1. If he's the ruler of Atlantis, he should be more of a king and less of a superhero, then he wouldn't be as lame a superhero. A sense of regalness. Similar to Thor. That fixes his personality problem.
    2. Get rid of his hybrid, half-human-half Atlantean heritage. he should be 100% Atlantean. That fixes his unnecessarily convoluted 'backstory'.
    3. His power should come from his title as King of Atlantis (not his Atlantean strength, stamina, etc.) which should include hydro-manipulation, weather-manipulation, and command over all sea-life. That fixes the bland and useless aspect of his current power-set.
    4. Less 'superhero' looking outfit. Again more regal.

For starters, anyway.

To me, Aquaman is a half***, second (or even third) thought character.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In his debut Aquaman wasn't atlantean he was son of a scientist that give him his powers. Later they gave him this atlantean king role but i don't like it, don't make sense a king leave his kingdom to fight crime and super-villains, he has an army and stuff to do the job for him.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DEADPOOL

@jack_vii said:

@waezi2: In my opinion, he has zero (ahem) depth and purpose. He's one of those character's who's only a superhero because he's in a comic book. By that I mean he's not larger or greater than the pages he's drawn and written on - unlike Spiderman, Batman, Wolverine or Superman. The latter characters carry a degree of weight, substance and meaning that. . . Aquaman. . . does not have. He's bland. There's no profound creativity in his character. Personality-wise, as a character he's still looking for one that works -same goes for Wonder Woman and Hal Jordan.

1. If he's the ruler of Atlantis, he should be more of a king and less of a superhero, then he wouldn't be as lame a superhero. A sense of regalness. Similar to Thor. That fixes his personality problem.
    2. Get rid of his hybrid, half-human-half Atlantean heritage. he should be 100% Atlantean. That fixes his unnecessarily convoluted 'backstory'.
    3. His power should come from his title as King of Atlantis (not his Atlantean strength, stamina, etc.) which should include hydro-manipulation, weather-manipulation, and command over all sea-life. That fixes the bland and useless aspect of his current power-set.

For starters, anyway.

I have to disagree on some points. Aquaman does go through some dry spells in his stories, although he's one of my favorites, I'll admit that his stories in his own book never really caught my interest until the New 52. His stories and characterization are just perfect, as well as his current supporting cast; I also like Mera as his "sidekick."

1. They've done that, it didn't really catch on with a lot of people; fighting assassins and polluters. I'd also say Thor is more like a barbarian with a fancy old English accent, lol.

2. Perhaps. Although it's adding a really powerful dynamic to his current series, does it imply that human D.N.A. is all that's needed to make an Atlantean child a Super Atlantean? I feel like something more is needed. Perhaps something connected to Poseidon, which would also give him claim to the throne? Although I wouldn't want to see him fall into any cliches like being Poseidon's half-mortal son or even chosen one or anything. Or, a new twist could be given with the Lady of the Lake behind his origins and aquatic powers.

3. So his powers should come from Atlantean magic? And wait, did you just call his current powers useless? The guy is an underwater Superman that can command an army of aquatic life to do his bidding. Also, your proposition suggests that anyone who sits in the throne will have his powers, so if he's overthrown then he'd lose his powers.

4. Like he has now? A glimmering metallic golden-orange scalemale armor with a high collar, armored gloves, golden belt and golden trident. I can't speak for his legs, he needs something on his legs; that's the only part of Aquaman's design that bothers me. Too plain.

@wbr17 said:

In his debut Aquaman wasn't atlantean he was son of a scientist that give him his powers. Later they gave him this atlantean king role but i don't like it, don't make sense a king leave his kingdom to fight crime and super-villains, he has an army and stuff to do the job for him.

In the original comics, they had various reasons for Aquaman to help. Saving the world saves Atlantis too, the Justice League are his allies, etc. In the New 52, they make him an outcast, both on land and in the sea, which pretty much explains everything. Besides, Aquaman can't be in the sea all the time fighting off assassins and polluters, that gets boring.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cameron83

Kinda like two takes on the same idea.

Although Namor WAS first. So,by the definition of many people,yes he WAS/IS a rip-off.

But I don't consider him one because he's developed into his own character.

But by the definition of many,then yes I guess he can be considered a rip-off. But I don't think so because they are two distinct different characters. Completely different. And both are badass.

If that's the case,Batman is a rip-off of The Shadow.....even though he's developed into a completely different character.

@decoyelite: I agree, there isn't a single super hero or just fictional character in general that doesn't owe its inspiration to something that came long before it.

and this.

Basically,I say no because of many factors.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadpool: I read aquaman before and after N52, I know how they do. But don't make sense what you say and what they want us to think. It is the same thing that saying that GL is boring because it's in space all time. We can have murderers, mad scientist, thieves, monsters underwater, all that happens in space or surface can happen underwater, it's just a different background so there will be some adaptation. That's all.

And a king would fight an extra-dimensional conqueror with his army not by his own. Just saying a king needs to think on everything that happens to his kingdom and his people. He doesn't have much time to fight super-villains.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

It's almost the other way around.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Aside from the obvious similarities, they aren't that similar. Also, they were created a mere two years apart, it's not that big a deal.

Are there similarities? Of course. Ripoff? No.

Is Hawkeye a Green Arrow ripoff? Is Static a Spider-Man rip off? No. Just a few ssame qualities does not a ripoff make.

CaptainDoeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_vii said:

For starters, anyway.

you've never read a comic book featuring Aquaman in your life, have you?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Loading Video...

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@madeinbangladesh said:

Marvel's nightstalkers series paying homage to Superman after the "Death of Superman" arc

"Burried Alien" (Bart Allan) winning the race in Marvel of the Universe's fastest speedster (to the moon i think, Makkari won the later one).

The last one is a reference to Barry Allen after he died saving the universe. Buried Alien = Barry Allen.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it funny that before everyone (a lot of people) loved to call Namor a ripoff and in reality its Arthur. NOW! It's not a big deal or they want to argue on technicalities.

Ha ha [×]

√8

Aquaman Greatest Ripoff of all Time.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No he is an improvement! In any shape or form.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

@joygirl said:

I agree with this. Plus Aquaman was more heroic overall. I've never been a big fan of either character. Can Namor talk with the fishes?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Considering that Namor didn't really take off until after Aquaman was published, the latter is hardly a ripoff.

In fact I think I remember reading something that Namor had actually gone on Hiatus after his initial publication and didn't really come into his own until the mid 40's.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I would say no, they may come from the same place, but I doubt AM's creators were looking at Namor for ideas.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@mikex20: how is Namor a ripoff of Superman?

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I much prefer the term, 'improvement of'

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Absolute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captaindoeo: Maybe it's just a coincidence I only read the bad ones.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Pretty much.

Though personally, I much prefer Aquaman over Namor anyway.

I prefer Namor, both are cool!

Namor 1939, Aquaman 1941.

Both are cool!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

I find it funny that before everyone (a lot of people) loved to call Namor a ripoff and in reality its Arthur. NOW! It's not a big deal or they want to argue on technicalities.

Ha ha [×]

√8

Aquaman Greatest Ripoff of all Time.

@madeinbangladesh said:

@rdclip said:

Based on what I know about Aquaman and reading the first paragraph on CV Namor wiki, I'd say yes. Their origin story is nearly identical with both being the Human/Atlantian hybred of a man and an Atlantian Princess. And the clincher is that Namor was first published two years before Aquaman. But, it was the golden age and rip-off characters were all over the place.

Mermaids and mermen are cited in various mythologies across the world, then it means that both are ripoffs ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.