is aquaman a crap character in terms of powers and personality

• 62 results
#1 Posted by thegreat4u (361 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

No, and no.

Aquaman has, and still can, tap into the marine-evolved part of your brain, and give you a seizure with minimal effort. And for personality, he's been very down to earth post-Flashpoint, but during the Morrison/Waid JLA run, he was much more like King Arthur. Very noble.

#3 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Aquaman is awesome. What would you rather have him do? Transform into sharks and whales?

#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13599 posts) - - Show Bio

You so kwazy.

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17823 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

No, and no.

Aquaman has, and still can, tap into the marine-evolved part of your brain, and give you a seizure with minimal effort. And for personality, he's been very down to earth post-Flashpoint, but during the Morrison/Waid JLA run, he was much more like King Arthur. Very noble.

That just happened.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34287 posts) - - Show Bio

is this a serious thread?

#7 Posted by The_Tree (7860 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell no. He's awesome on both fronts.

#8 Posted by Dernman (15437 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Aquaman but hate that ability to tap into that part of the brain to give seizures. I hope they have gotten rid of it.

#9 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

He is pretty cool imo.

#10 Posted by SoA (5110 posts) - - Show Bio

i didn't know much about aquaman till i stared on the new 52 series and i like how he is written , they do mention the surfaceworld /real life jokes about him (being away from water , joking on him being useless,etc) and he proves that those are just that jokes and speculations , im hooked on this book and i have a new found respect for him , so no his powers arent crap , (mild telepathy, near invunerable skin, super strength ) his personality :noble hero , who (in this series)is trying to make a life for him and his wife on the surface world is not crap lol

#11 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

i didn't know much about aquaman till i stared on the new 52 series and i like how he is written , they do mention the surfaceworld /real life jokes about him (being away from water , joking on him being useless,etc) and he proves that those are just that jokes and speculations , im hooked on this book and i have a new found respect for him , so no his powers arent crap , (mild telepathy, near invunerable skin, super strength ) his personality :noble hero , who (in this series)is trying to make a life for him and his wife on the surface world is not crap lol

yeah, Aquaman new 52 is just one of the best (with the possible exception of the cartoon version who ripped off his hand and had a beard, that one was just BADASS - I wish new 52 aquaman gets longer hair and beard just like that version)

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (25004 posts) - - Show Bio

The Super friends show really f**ked Aquaman over bad, no matter how hard they try to show he's not that guy anymore no one will ever forget it, they did forget that in that show Batman was worthless without his computer and utility belt, Wonder Woman was mostly just set dressing, and every one pretty much just distracted the bad guys until Superman saved the day

#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

I like Aquaman but hate that ability to tap into that part of the brain to give seizures. I hope they have gotten rid of it.

Why?

#14 Posted by The Poet (8338 posts) - - Show Bio
I'm sorry...no one who can do THAT can possibly be terrible!
#15 Edited by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

Atleast he's not an arrogant, womanizing coward like Namor.

#16 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

I like the womanizing part and he did the whole flying , invulnerable, strength thing before superman

#17 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

I hate Namor so much... Only thing he has over Arthur is flight, that could be pretty cool for AC

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34287 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus said:
"Gasp"........
#19 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx@Jorgevy@spiderbat87: I suppose it depends on how the arrogance factor is written, but normally Namor acts as if he's one of the more valued members of the X-Men when he's simply not.  

I don't have a problem with arrogance and womanizing(in fact, they're two character traits I actually enjoy), but really, Namor just doesn't deserve to be so irritatingly arrogant, but the charming arrogance that he exudes is actually great.
#20 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

No, and no.

#21 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: then again if he wasn't an arrogant womanizer his character would stand out less

#22 Posted by RoboShark (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman just needs the right writer/artist combo.

#23 Edited by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

No. he's just beset by more iconic and popular characters, hence acquitted by many as an unrelated measuring stick.

Consumerism: Less than something else > Bad, More than everything else > Good, and everything else is bad.

Not correct of course by any means but it's the nature of perception in a nutshell and mote of why Aquaman and other things come under critique.

#24 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: yeah I kinda get it. I mean I like that stuff on Tony even though I totally hate it on Namor

#25 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx: Very true. I don't harbor any disdain for Namor. In fact, I like him (planning on doing some fan-fic with him when I get time off from school).  

However, I admire how Arthur has almost always been written as a proud, noble, thoughtful king who's allegiances have never faltered. Namor, however, can be a helping the X-Men without hesitation in one issue and plotting with Doom in the next. His unpredictable nature gets tiring after some time and it takes away from the character. I don't want to be constantly pondering about Namor's thought-processes and secret plans of surface domination.
#26 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jorgevy: But atleast you know where Tony stands on several issues. It's not interesting when Namor decides to be coy and playful when Emma calls for him to help prevent San Francisco from becoming a barren wasteland filled with Sinister clones. Also, making out with Emma, knowing she was in a troubled state, was stupid. After all the amnesty provided to him by Scott and the other X-Men, this is how he repays them. 
#27 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: One acts like a true king (not namor) , the other acts like a spoiled princess go figure.

#28 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nerx said:

@Illuminatus: One acts like a true king (not namor) , the other acts like a spoiled princess go figure.

This.

#29 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx said:

Although, he has atleast tried to clean up his act since Regenesis.
#30 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@RoboShark said:

The current run by Johns is fantastic. I highly recommend it.
#31 Posted by RoboShark (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

@RoboShark said:

The current run by Johns is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I'm already hooked on that book. I read all my favorite books last each week, and I never thought ol Aquaman would make it there.

#32 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: @Illuminatus:

A badass princess wearing speedos

#33 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx said:

He's been rocking the vest and pants for awhile now.
#34 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

@Nerx said:

He's been rocking the vest and pants for awhile now.

Damn you, you just inserted a terrible horrible image in my mind right before going to bed... thanks a lot

#35 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: But a real princess only wearing bikini bottoms is hot

@Illuminatus: Sea leather

#36 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nerx: Now I pictured Namor in a pink bikini -.-'

that's it Imma go read some Power Girl before falling asleep. that might help

#37 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you read Aquaman??

#38 Edited by _Zombie_ (10462 posts) - - Show Bio

So, let me guess, you're judging the character based off of the SuperFriends appearances, as well as all of the stigma and jokes surrounding him? Read Johns's Aquaman, or Brightest Day. He's vastly improved as a character.

Also, I'd say shutting down your opponent's brain is a pretty impressive power.

#39 Posted by The Stegman (25483 posts) - - Show Bio

this, he's also cooler than Namor too
#40 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman's awesome, anyone who says otherwise is completely misinformed. I mean he declared war against Japan just to get Demon Gate, for the death of a single dolphin.(Granted though it was Porm) He's easily one of my favorite heroes out there.

#41 Posted by cattlebattle (13164 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

The Super friends show really f**ked Aquaman over bad, no matter how hard they try to show he's not that guy anymore no one will ever forget it, they did forget that in that show Batman was worthless without his computer and utility belt, Wonder Woman was mostly just set dressing, and every one pretty much just distracted the bad guys until Superman saved the day

I don't think blaming Superfriends is fair, Batman was corny and homo erotic for a decade and bounced back, Aquaman just had some pretty bad writers for a long time, I recall him almost being cancelled several times throughout the nineties
#42 Edited by cbishop (8882 posts) - - Show Bio

Um, he was cancelled a couple times - he has had a few different series in the last decade or so. I think Aquaman should be a vastly cooler character than he has been, but haven't read the N52 stuff to judge (lack of funds). Like it or don't, he really was a reflection of his Superfriends depiction for many years - talked to fish, couldn't be out of the water for over an hour, all that stuff. There's just not a lot to do with that.

I pondered how to improve Aquaman for a long time, and couldn't figure it out, outside of a total revamp, and I think that's a cheat. The only thing I could figure was either give him some additional powers, or introduce some new players in the three quarters of the world that serves as his domain. Erik Larsen tried the new players idea, and someone else tried the new powers (the watery hand and connection to the Lady of the Lake thing) - neither seemed to go over with the fans, although personally, I liked both versions for what they were, although I liked Larsen's version better - it didn't cheat the character by remaking him.

I don't like the "marine brain" thing, so I think the seizure thing is kind of weak, but what I have always thought is that his telepathy should extend to humans and not be limited to fish. That's a *bit* of a remake, but not necessarily out of character. As king of a nation recognized by the DCU United Nations, it's completely conceivable that Arthur may have been wise enough to hide his ability to read human minds, as a tactical and political advantage. How he hid it from the Martian Manhunter for so long would be another question, but maybe he didn't - maybe there's just some kind of privacy code between telepaths, and J'onzz chose to honor Arthur's choice to not reveal his telepathy.

Another augmentation I would make (and I think recent years have seen DC do this more) is to increase his physical strength and invulnerability. Again, sort of remaking him, but it's more enhancing what's already there. It's completely believable that to withstand the pressures of the deep, he would have to be both very strong, and dense enough to withstand injury, which on the surface world, should translate to super strength and at least some measure of invulnerability.

I've never liked the one hour time limit thing. I would explain it away as an excuse he used to get away from surface people, who are too noisy and social for his taste... say he prefers the comparably silent serenity of the deep, but has adjusted to being around surface dwellers better now, so as not to isolate him from the DCU now.

All that would improve Aquaman by leaps and bounds, without really changing his basic character, and I would applaud that way more than Peter David's for-some-reason-acclaimed remaking of Supergirl, by transplanting a whole other character onto her powers (total cheat - especially when there was cool, untapped potential in the Matrix Supergirl character, without the Linda Danvers personality).

Also, those kinds of changes do not preclude being able to introduce the new players into the ocean environment, like Larsen did. The undersea world of Aquaman should be every bit as wonderous and surprising as Ka-Zar's Savage Land, the Warlord's Skataris, or Turok's hidden valley ...but underwater. There's no reason to be limited to real marine life when nothing like Aquaman himself exists in our waters ...that we know of. ;)

#43 Posted by Vance Astro (91356 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman actually just became one of my favorites.

#44 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

There are no crap characters only characters written by Bendis.

#45 Posted by HolySerpent (12727 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman sucks

#46 Posted by HolySerpent (12727 posts) - - Show Bio

And superman is the justice league.

#47 Posted by Vance Astro (91356 posts) - - Show Bio
@HolySerpent said:
Aquaman sucks
Take it back. 

@HolySerpent said:
And superman is the justice league.
Wonder Woman IS the Justice League.
#48 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is and always has been awesome.

People need to stop making assumptions based off an dirt old cartoon.

#49 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Post-Flashpoint Aquaman.

Pros:

• Content to live a normal human life, as opposed to ruling Atlantis.
  • Has yet to be seen "riding" on a sea creature.
  • Neptune's trident (or whatever the f*ck it's called) is now standard gear. No more harpoon/water hand.
  • Pays in gold coins.
  • Glad to know that the scales are actually part of his armor, instead of his marine adaptation.

Cons:

• Due to D.C's editorial staff trying to make it's characters more down to earth, post- reboot, Arthur comes off as rather stoic. E.g. wondering off whenever he is ridiculed.
  • Aquaman's villains are lame. This does not exclude those monsters from the trench in the current arc.
  • Everyone in D.C's reboot wants to play detective. E.g. Wally, Arthur, etc.
  • Still utilizes the Charles Xavier telepathy motion (hands to temple), when "talking to fish".
#50 Posted by ComicMan24 (147115 posts) - - Show Bio

If you hate a character that much, don't read his books. No one is forcing you to. And I completely disagree with you.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.