Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Ideal Aquafamily Powerset

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlackWind

In my humble opinion, he Aquaman group has long suffred from lack of writer creativity. But in recent years we've seen interesting portrayals of them, whether in comics or an animated adaption. On thing that's bugs me is if you put them together, you'll see a lot of repeats with their powers.

Aquaman: With Orin you've got the best physical stats in the group, plus pretty respectable telepathy. However I've personally always been saddened by the annoying neglect of his trident. If Aquaman is to have any additional powers, they should come from his trident, which seems to be standard equipment for him at the moment. His trident should be firing blasts of magical energy, summoning storms, creating earthquakes, and manipulating very large volumes of water and even creating it. It's Poseidon's weapon after all. Or, should be.

Mera: She is actually one I've no gripe with. Though she tends to let her hydrokinesis do most of the work, it'd be nice to see her hitting tjings more.

Tempest: Garth's problem was solved in the 90s. He was given the ability to freeze oand boil water, as well as optic force beams. Now that's making him unique as an underwater hero.

Kaldur: The Young Justice cartoon got him just right IMO. He mixes hydrokinesis with hand to hand combat and weapons fighting, and sometimes gives an electric shock. Unlike Mera he gets up close to mix it up a lot.

Tula: Typical Atlantean abilities.

Lorena: Same as Tula.

So with that said, how would you diversify the Aquafamily so they all have something special to themselves?

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By comicfan11

I agree with almost everything you said on all characters.

Concerning the trident I believe that firing blasts of magical energy, and manipulating very large volumes of water and even creating it is enough though.

Summoning storms and creating earthquakes might be to much, and doesn't align with the "aqua" part much.

But he should have by far the best physical stats, which is how Johns is writing him now.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BlackWind

Personally I'd prefer him using the trident as a melee weapon unless the other functions are specially needed.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By serpent222

I completely agree with a greater focus on the trident, but I wouldn't go so far as to include the storm and earthquake stuff. People complain about Aquaman being overcompensating as it is, having that added to his arsenal would just be super overkill. But magic blasts and more hand to hand action with it would always be welcome.

I always thought that more should be explored with Aquaman's telepathy, going beyond the whole main sea life thing and getting some more specialized or unique uses. Honestly, I don't have much of an issue with anyone else's powers, especially Mera and Kaldur.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BlackWind

Personally I could live without the storms or earthquakes myself, but creating his own water wherever he is would be great. Peter David and Grant Morrison did Aquaman's telepathy well.

If Tula is ever reintroduced I hope something is done with her.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

that'd be awesome. Aquaman being the Thor of DC

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By colonyofcells

Aquaman : all of superman's powers plus telepathy and magic trident. Mera and black aqualad : water powers. Tempest Garth and tula : magic powers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@blackwind: Acctually Garth's powers are magical in origins,since he was trained Atlan. Besides these powers that you mentioned,he could also open time-dimensional portals (as did in Obsidian Age) and cast spells.

CrouchingTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CrouchingTiger

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.