Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

How does Pelletier stack up?

aquafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Personally I read books in trades and as most of you probably know only two volumes of Johns's epic run are out so far. I have to say that the art by Ivan Reis is phenomenal. Definitely his best work and arguably the best art I have read in a comic. I was sad to know he left after the second volume but Paul Pelletier is filling his shoes. I have not read much of his stuff before so I just want to ask you guys who have read the later issues...I know he might not be quite as good as Reis but is he good enough so that one isn't too disappointed at the transition? Is Aquaman still one of the best looking DC books out there? Or is art not one of the defining qualities of the series anymore? I heard he has a more cartoony style but it still is pretty good stuff so hopefully reading later issues doesn't leave me disappointed.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Veshark

The thing about Pelletier is this...he's not a bad artist. If you've seen his pencils, you can tell that he's definitely got great form and perspective. His underwater scenes in Aquaman especially are superb. But I have to say that Reis is the better artist. Pelletier's art isn't bad, it's just a little underwhelming after twelve or so issues of Reis' detailed and gorgeous artwork. It's a little more cartoony and simple, but it's not bad, just different.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Lvenger

@veshark said:

The thing about Pelletier is this...he's not a bad artist. If you've seen his pencils, you can tell that he's definitely got great form and perspective. His underwater scenes in Aquaman especially are superb. But I have to say that Reis is the better artist. Pelletier's art isn't bad, it's just a little underwhelming after twelve or so issues of Reis' detailed and gorgeous artwork. It's a little more cartoony and simple, but it's not bad, just different.

This. To follow Reis as an artist on a title is a tall order. Pelletier's art is good as his run on Hulk proves. But Reis is another ball park altogether.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@veshark said:

Beautifully put good sir! I like Pelletier, just not as much as i like Reis'.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Raw_Material

Pelletier's definitely making a statement with his art in this on-going series, but it is nothing that compares to what Reis brought to the table.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.