How do Atlantean's talk under water?

#1 Edited by Justthatkid (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

When you open your mouth under water doesn't water come rushing in?

#2 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its telepathy in DC in Marvel you're just not supposed to ask I assume.

#3 Posted by brandimarlow (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, like many under sea creatures, they communicate via sonar? Just a theory, lol

#4 Posted by Justthatkid (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I know that it is a comic book world, and some things should be obviously un-explainable in the real world , But I'm curious to know if there has been a explanation behind it, I would rather they talk with there minds like Martians, or a reason to be given.

#5 Posted by Dernman (15105 posts) - - Show Bio

#6 Posted by Black_Claw (2988 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic book logic. It's as simple as that.

#7 Posted by Justthatkid (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: @brandimarlow: I would like to think it is sonar but they move there mouths when communicating.

#8 Posted by Justthatkid (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: I guess, just curious to know if it's ever been explained.

#9 Posted by brandimarlow (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid i understand your curiosity. i think originally it was sonar based, but i just read now (in the New 52) Aquaman communicates through telekinesis. im not sure why they would move their mouths if that were the case though.. maybe just to convey the visual of communication in the graphic novel style? thats my idea, anyways

#10 Posted by Justthatkid (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@brandimarlow: Thank you, found anything on why water doesn't fill there lungs?

#11 Edited by brandimarlow (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid hm, havent found anything why water doesnt drown them. all i can assume, again, only pertaining to Aquaman, is that he has gills, i mean, they dont really draw attention to the fact in the comics, but thats really the only way he could survive underwater...is there any other character you had doubts about how they adapt to life underwater? Aquaman is really the only one that comes to mind in this discussion for me

#12 Posted by Justthatkid (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@brandimarlow: Jackson Hyde's gills just came to mind I doubt this has been said but maybe there is a thick layer of skin covering The Atlantians gills as water comes in the mouth the gills dispense the water :) I'm a genius.

#13 Posted by brandimarlow (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid lol, nice research. youre either a genius, or a marine biologist, haha.

#14 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Their Atlantean physiology and unique gills enable them to not only breathe underwater, but talk as well. Although, they haven't directly commented on this question in comments, this would be the most obvious answer for this situation.

#15 Edited by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: here are the scans for an explanation. it's the page right after the pic you posted

#16 Posted by Justthatkid (3919 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

they need to address this for a live action movie

#18 Edited by Justthatkid (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.