Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

His Trident And His Powers *Possible Spoilers*

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Since all the members of The Others have Atlantean artifacts that give them there powers is it possible that it's Aquamans trident that gives him the power to control marine life? Or will Arthur be gaining a new power some time in the future? 

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JohnnyGat

Judging from Shin's flashback Arthur already could control marine life before he even had the trident, if anything I think we should just assume it's powers are in conjunction with it's design so I'm assuming it would have an offensive power to it.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @JohnnyGat: must of missed that. What do you think the power could be?
    JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JohnnyGat

@Jonny_Anonymous: As I said something offensive, the artifacts power meshes well with it's design. A Globe that lets one teleport across the Globe, a helmet that prevents the need for food water or air, even when I look at POW's artifacts it him getting a force field makes sense because if ones hands are tied he'll need to protect himself right.

It could be something unrevealed, it could be something simple like being just a really unbreakable object like Marvels Adamantium/Vibranium, I'm willing to wait though for the answer.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @JohnnyGat: Didnt the globe also let her talk to animals?
    DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DanialCarroll

It makes sense that it would have some form of power, seeing as all the other artifacts do, but I don't think it's his control of sea life. That would take too much away from the character himself. Hopefully we'll get an answer in #0.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By kidchipotle

It has the power to..... stab things.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JohnnyGat

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@JohnnyGat: Didnt the globe also let her talk to animals?

I don't think that was the Globe, I think some of these guys have powers on their own aside from that they get with the artifacts. Take Prisoner of War for example, he was still able to call on the dead spirits of his fellow soldiers to fend off Black Manta before he could even wear the manacles. I think it's safe to assume that Kahina the Seer's ability to see the future is different from what the seal of clarity does (roughly it has the power to translate) the same way that I think the globe is more of a travel power and Yawara's connection with the animals is her own power.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By DEADPOOL

Is it revealed what all the artifacts do aside from Aquaman's? I see the globe is teleportation, the chains are forcefields, and the helmet is basically life-support, what does the other two do?

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DanialCarroll

@DEADPOOL said:

... what does the other two do?

One translates things, though I think we've only seen it do so once. Isn't The Operative's a skeleton key of sorts, unlocking any lock?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous: How many artifacts exist? Could they be more than mere artifacts, perhaps part of some kind of armor?

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DanialCarroll

@matchesmalone21 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: How many artifacts exist? Could they be more than mere artifacts, perhaps part of some kind of armor?

From the preview of #11, it looks like the artifacts we've seen are the only ones there are. It still hasn't explained what the trident does though. Hopefully soon.

I did pick up when re-reading the series recently, that just before Ya'Wara teleports into Shin's house, Mera mentions that Arthur's trident is glowing. I wonder what relevance that has?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Danial79

@matchesmalone21 said:

From the preview of #11, it looks like the artifacts we've seen are the only ones there are. It still hasn't explained what the trident does though. Hopefully soon.

I did pick up when re-reading the series recently, that just before Ya'Wara teleports into Shin's house, Mera mentions that Arthur's trident is glowing. I wonder what relevance that has?

I hope whatever power it has becomes a standard for Arthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous: @Danial79: I think he has some kind of mystical power and all other artifacts respond to it..maybe something that connects with a higher power as Waterbarear thing

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DanialCarroll

@matchesmalone21: From what's mentioned in #11, it sounds like Aquaman's trident is simply indestructible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial79: I believe he does more than that, something that has not been shown yet, that Aquaman hasn't yet discovered ... maybe he has the power to tackle that staff discovered by Black Manta

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Danial79@matchesmalone21: I was hoping that the 7th Relic was going to be a set of armor that Aquaman could use now that his chainmail was destroyed 
    DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DanialCarroll

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Danial79: @matchesmalone21: I was hoping that the 7th Relic was going to be a set of armor that Aquaman could use now that his chainmail was destroyed

I'm sure he has backups :)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Danial79 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Danial79: @matchesmalone21: I was hoping that the 7th Relic was going to be a set of armor that Aquaman could use now that his chainmail was destroyed

Yea but I'm just hoping that DC will eventually decide to use the crustacean armor concept they had for the New 52 redesign 
    DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DanialCarroll

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Danial79 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Yea but I'm just hoping that DC will eventually decide to use the crustacean armor concept they had for the New 52 redesign

Maybe in the Trinity War.

The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The Finality

@Jonny_Anonymous: nope, ya'wara can control animals with her mind just as Aquaman can control marine life with his mind.

The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The Finality

@Jonny_Anonymous: Well in Pre New 52 DCU, Arthur was given Poseidon's Trident as a reward for saving the God from Hades. It had different magical properties, most notably the ability to project magical force blasts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous: I also believe that to be a kind of armor that can only be mounted in a time of great danger...As the sinking of Atlantis, which can not be used because the Staff was stoled

The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The Finality

I'm all for the artifacts combining into some sort of armor, Power Ranger jokes aside.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jorgevy

yeah, the artifacts combining would be a great upgrade for Aquaman. I think the trident can shoot bolts/beams, it would make sense as an offensive weapon to be able to project something. It's probably indestructible too.

we'll wait an see but I really hope all the seven relics and maybe more can come together under Arthur

GHoST2130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GHoST2130

I looked up the trident apparently has magical powers, or did at one point, it can apparently shoot energy blasts, control water, project force fields, control the weather, and transform living things. Im not sure what it can do now but I think it should be able to do at least some of those things in new 52.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GHoST2130: We hope,that the Trident is still capable to do those things

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DanialCarroll

@GHoST2130 said:

I looked up the trident apparently has magical powers, or did at one point, it can apparently shoot energy blasts, control water, project force fields, control the weather, and transform living things. Im not sure what it can do now but I think it should be able to do at least some of those things in new 52.

In 11 issues of the new series, it has only been mentioned that it is indestructible. I'm pretty sure if it could still do those other things, we would have seen it by now. Who knows though, perhaps Aquaman doesn't like showing off :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial79: Or didn't know yet

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BlueArrow

This is a great thread, but I was pretty sure last issue they said that it's power was that The Trident is unbreakable.

But saying that that isn't it's only power, didn't he throw The Trident into the under water volcano making it erupt to stop the trench.

The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The Finality

@Danial79 or maybe he's quite aware of what it can do, but would rather use it as an indestructable melee weapon. That's what he did when he fought his mother's husband. When Atlantis was under attack by fire creatures, Orin runs to the place that holds the only thing powerful enough to stop the invaders, the Trident. He gets there only to receive a full force magical blast to the chest by Trevis, the original king of Atlantis, and his mother's husband. Aquaman regains the Trident but then throws it like a spear as opposed to using its magical properties. While Tempest (formerly Aqualad) was an accomplished mage, so whenever he had the Trident he used the magical powers it held. In Blackest Night, Mera used it to channel her water powers, and later her Red Lantern energies. Although in the Justice League animated series, Aquaman indeed uses the Trident to cut and stab, as well as shooting magical force blasts.

TheGraySon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGraySon

I think we should be seeing more of his trident soon. He hasnt really fought enemies he couldnt handle without his trident. Maybe when Manta grabs the staff hell need to use its abilities or against ocean master. Anyway, i hope being indestructible isnt its only use. Wonder Womans freaking Lasso is indestructible plus it can do a thousand and one other things. I dont see why Arthurs staff cant have a few special abilities too.

The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The Finality

I get your point, and I agree. But at the same time, look at Captain America. His Shield is an offensive weapon and a defensive weapon. He can bash it into enemies or throw it at range. Aside from the fact that it can richochet off surfaces, it's special ability is mainly the fact that it's pretty much indestructble.

thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thestarguy

Actually, I suspect that all of the artifacts are indestructible, being mystical power totems. I also suspect that the Trident probably still has a possibly yet-to-be revealed offensive primary power. Arthur may know it's full capabilities, or he may not yet. But I'm guessing that he at least suspects how potentially powerful and dangerous it is, based upon the capabilities of the other artifacts. I think that the main reason that he is carrying it for now, is to prevent it from falling into anyone elses (e.g. Black Manta's) hands. He is basically the Trident's bodyguard. I really hope that when this arc concludes that Mera inherits the Seal of Clarity.

TheGraySon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheGraySon

@thestarguy: Why do you want Mera to have the Seal of Clarity?

I think youre right about all the artifacts being indestructible. Theres no reason to assume that only the Trident would be. All they said was it was the most "powerful" of the weapons. Implying it has more uses than just being indestructible. About him keeping it from Black Manta youre probably right. In one of the earlier issues Shin says "you still keep that trident even though the trouble it will bring. hes going to come look for it". Hopefully its not just a melee weapon, but much more.

@The Finality: i know but caps shield isnt mystical :/

Zoch81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#36  Edited By Zoch81

I hope the Trident more just being indestructible like it can blast mystical energy blasts, create forcefields or even control weather.

TheGraySon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheGraySon

@Zoch81 said:

I hope the Trident more just being indestructible like it can blast mystical energy blasts, create forcefields or even control weather.

It used to do that.. I dont see why they cant give him those abilities again :/

thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thestarguy

@TheGraySon: For two reasons primarily...1) It would allow Mera to essentially join "the Other's" and give her a set of human comrades to hang out with, especially since Arthur is still in the Justice League, and 2) by safeguarding an Atlantean power totem, especilly one that may allow her to decipher Atlantean secrets, it will better prepares her for life in Atlantis.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BlackWind

The trident should be bis Mjolnir. His trident should be firing blasts of divine energy, summoning thunderstorms, creating earthquakes, and manipulating very large volumes of water. It's Poseidon's weapon after all. However I don't think it's Aquaman's style to so brazenly use those powers instead of his own.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackWind: This isn't Poseidon's weapon anymore,in New 52 this was created by a king of ancient Atlantis

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#41  Edited By Black_Claw

I think the trident should work like the trident in the little mermaid and shoot energy blasts and control water.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.