Have you made this connection, or am I just crazy....

#1 Posted by Larkin1388 (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

So I've been reading the New 52 Aquaman, and can't help but notice that these creatures from the deep, bear a striking resemblance to H.P. Lovecrafts description of The deep Ones. Could Aquaman really be going up against Cthulhu and his Starborn, or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

#2 Posted by Icarusflies (12762 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I've been thinking the same thing…they are resemblant of the Deep Ones.

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29813 posts) - - Show Bio

I would absolutely DIE if that's where this was going. <3

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (40314 posts) - - Show Bio

madness... madness I tell you!!

#5 Posted by Larkin1388 (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies: Good, then I'm not crazy lol.

@InnerVenom123: I know I would love to see this as well.

#6 Posted by EdBlank (839 posts) - - Show Bio

Why they gotta make Aquaman stab them to death? The world is spritually sick and DC feels like it's gotta make all the noble heroes into "badass" killers to satiate our appetite for destruction.

#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29813 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdBlank said:

Why they gotta make Aquaman stab them to death? The world is spritually sick and DC feels like it's gotta make all the noble heroes into "badass" killers to satiate our appetite for destruction.

We've always been violent. Why WOULDN'T Aquaman stab them to death? They were eating innocent people.

#8 Posted by Demonturtle (571 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Posted by Kairan1979 (17085 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

@EdBlank said:

We've always been violent. Why WOULDN'T Aquaman stab them to death? They were eating innocent people.

#10 Posted by EdBlank (839 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker blows up schoolbusses and s*** but Bats never snapped his neck. Yes we've always been violent but there was a time when our ideal was a rational and caring figure who did what's right becuse it was right. Now our ideal is Dirty Harry "I'm doing this MY way" *shoots some gang banger with a .45* "punk". I am just saying: the world is spiritually sick. All of us.

#11 Posted by Video_Martian (5650 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps...

#12 Posted by Larkin1388 (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdBlank: I love violent comics

#13 Posted by Larkin1388 (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be crazy if it turned out that Aquaman was supposed to be one of Cthulhu's Starborn.

#14 Posted by EdBlank (839 posts) - - Show Bio

@Larkin1388 said:

@EdBlank: I love violent comics

Iconsume all kinds of BS myself. It's just sad to see the guys that have been noble for 80 years be "retconned" into a bunch of edgy Wolverines

#15 Posted by Larkin1388 (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdBlank: It's not like he's going up against a couple bank robbing thugs. Theres hundreds if not thousands of hungry monsters trying to eat everyone. I'd say that calls for a fish-ka-bob.

#16 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (523 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdBlank: What he is supposed to do to them? Throw them in jail and until they stand trial? They aren't sick twisted people like the joker or other villains, they're creatures/animals, I really don't see how that would be any different than shooting a bear that was trying to eat people.

#17 Posted by Larkin1388 (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@MetropolisKid41: How true, how true.

#18 Posted by Hit_Monkey (1257 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdBlank: He's stabbing sea monsters to death mate. Sea monsters that are attacking a city with the singular purpose of eating people alive. Also Aqua-man was edgy way back in 1993 so this is nothing new. Hold on actually back in the first issue of his new 52 series did he kill any of those bank robbers caught? Don't think so mate. Your talking nonsense.

#19 Posted by frozenedge (1449 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdBlank: And what exactly should he do with them though? Lock them in a prison? They'd devour the guards in a few seconds and be out on the streets again. Locking criminals up in the comics doesn't work that well anyways. A few issues later, they have somebody break them out and they're at the criminal job again.

#20 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (1152 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hit_Monkey: everyone was edgy in 93 :D
#21 Posted by PowerHerc (86130 posts) - - Show Bio
"Outrageous!"
#22 Posted by bloggerboy (704 posts) - - Show Bio

@MetropolisKid41: I think the problem is we aren't given any other choice as a reader...and no, not in a "There's no other choice but to kill them!" Because even when there was a full war going on between Green Lantern Corps and Sinestro Corps (it's war so it's more acceptible to kill since we knew the numbers and the situation)...even then Lantern's like Arisia wouldn't kill.

What I'm trying to say is the Trench didn't injure the heroes mortally, there was not a clear us or them scenario. It was a bunch of monsters attacking heroes. It's everyday hero stuff. Aquaman, Mera or a third party could have used some ability to drive the Trench away ending the conflict peacefully. If and when the Trench are invading a whole city with thousands upon thousands with no other way (no non-lethal weapons & defences etc.) then it would be a different story.

JMO, though.

#23 Posted by Hatutzeraze (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@Larkin1388 said:

So I've been reading the New 52 Aquaman, and can't help but notice that these creatures from the deep, bear a striking resemblance to H.P. Lovecrafts description of The deep Ones. Could Aquaman really be going up against Cthulhu and his Starborn, or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Aquaman against Lovecraftian beings has been done before, in fact once quite recently...

http://www.comicvine.com/the-brave-and-the-bold-night-god/37-200853/

I'd argue that Grant Morrison's take on Starro the Conqueror back in JLA #23 was very Lovecraftian. Aquaman was there.

http://www.comicvine.com/jla-conquerors/37-45385/

I think you may be onto something with the Trench/Deep Ones comparison, which would make this the 3rd time (that I know of) that Aquaman has had a run-in with Lovecraftian opponents.

#24 Posted by Larkin1388 (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze: Thanks for the information. It's really neat to see that it's been done before. I'll have to try and find these issues to read. I do think, however, that this time around in the New 52 should make for an exceptional story considering the changes that Aquaman has undergone.

#25 Posted by Hatutzeraze (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@Larkin1388: Thus far the Trench story looks like it might be a really good one.

Oh, and in regards to the "links" I tried to set up, the first one was supposed to take you to the Comic Vine page covering Brave and the Bold (2007 volume) #32, starring Aquaman and the Demon. You will love it.

#26 Posted by Larkin1388 (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze: Awesome. Thanks.

#27 Posted by batkevin74 (12413 posts) - - Show Bio

H.P Curry vs Arthur Lovecraft? I think maybe Geoff John's is homaging

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.