Geoff Johns to leave Aquaman in issue 16

  • 65 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't believe it unless there's an official statement.

Seems fishy.

Staff
#3 Posted by Billy Batson (58026 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

Don't believe it unless there's an official statement.

Seems fishy.

Pun intended?
BB

#4 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@inferiorego said:

Don't believe it unless there's an official statement.

Seems fishy.

Pun intended?
BB

yes

Staff
#5 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: Seems so. But they where right about Grant Morrison writing Action and Lobdell writing Superman.
 
So let's see.
#6 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

@inferiorego: Seems so. But they where right about Grant Morrison writing Action and Lobdell writing Superman. So let's see.

They're also wrong 80% of the time, but no one remembers the times they're wrong.

Staff
#7 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: Alright. Hopefully It isn't. And if Johns does drop a title it should be either GL or JL. So he could write Action Comics.
#8 Edited by k4tzm4n (44235 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: I'm sorry... did you just say Johns should....drop...Green Lantern?

MADNESS.

Staff
#9 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

@inferiorego: Alright. Hopefully It isn't. And if Johns does drop a title it should be either GL or JL. So he could write Action Comics.

The reason it doesn't make sense is because it seems like he's on it for the long haul, like GL and rebuilding the mythos of the character. Aquaman is the 26-28 highest selling comic, out of all companies selling 57,000 copies last month: source. It still does very well for a DC book, and leaving seems a bit weird.

If he does drop off, then he drops off, but I treat a lot of uncredited "news" as rumors on the net.

Staff
#10 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: Hey, its better than him dropping Aquaman. That title has been amazing. And I did mentioned JL as well.
#11 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

That mysterious #16 at work here...hmmmm...

#12 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: I know. Its been a pretty good book.
#13 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! i though GJ was gonna do for aquaman what he did fr green lantern, and ivan reis definitely shld not leave this title for sum time u kno, till they get sumone who draws exactly like him :P

#14 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want too see either of them go but Johns more so as he's done great. I also don't want him leaving GL or JL has he's done better than anyones done in years and I can't see anyone who would want to write them do any better.

#15 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Then, months later, Aquaman gets cancelled.

Hopefully, Johns gives us that Cyborg book!

#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

He better not.

#17 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope not.

#18 Posted by Lvenger (19936 posts) - - Show Bio

At least he's not leaving Green Lantern yet. And Ivan Reis on Justice League? That would be great news if it were true!

#19 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger: Apparently.
#20 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

if he does he should go to action comics. its been getting very meh lately.

#21 Edited by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'll believe it when it's officially announced. As said, Aquaman is currently one of their top-selling books, so for Johns to leave so early would be very foolish of DC. We won't really know until October, when the January solicits come out.

#22 Posted by TheGraySon (457 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@SandMan_ said:

@inferiorego: Alright. Hopefully It isn't. And if Johns does drop a title it should be either GL or JL. So he could write Action Comics.

The reason it doesn't make sense is because it seems like he's on it for the long haul, like GL and rebuilding the mythos of the character. Aquaman is the 26-28 highest selling comic, out of all companies selling 57,000 copies last month: source. It still does very well for a DC book, and leaving seems a bit weird.

If he does drop off, then he drops off, but I treat a lot of uncredited "news" as rumors on the net.

#23 Posted by xAnimosity (183 posts) - - Show Bio

John's Aquaman run is really a big part of me getting back into comics. And actually becoming a huge DC fan. I hope he doesnt leave it for awhile.

#24 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@SandMan_ said:

@inferiorego: Seems so. But they where right about Grant Morrison writing Action and Lobdell writing Superman. So let's see.

They're also wrong 80% of the time, but no one remembers the times they're wrong.

80% sounds like a pretty severe exaggeration.

#25 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

Then, months later, Aquaman gets cancelled.

This is what would happen if he left probably

@Lvenger said:

At least he's not leaving Green Lantern yet. And Ivan Reis on Justice League? That would be great news if it were true!

It would be nice but I would like to see Jim Lee stay and him stay on Aquaman as I like him on Aquaman and I'm a big Jim Lee fan so I want to see him still on as when he leaves a thing he tends to go away for a while

#26 Posted by Lvenger (19936 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

It would be nice but I would like to see Jim Lee stay and him stay on Aquaman as I like him on Aquaman and I'm a big Jim Lee fan so I want to see him still on as when he leaves a thing he tends to go away for a while

I'm a fan of Jim Lee too but Ivan Reis is definitely the next best replacement for me as he's one of my all time favourite artists along with Jim Lee. One awesome artist is being replaced by another so it's all good for me. As for Lee, I think he mentioned something about working on a project to bring back the WildCATS to the New 52 DC Universe.

#27 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

It would be nice but I would like to see Jim Lee stay and him stay on Aquaman as I like him on Aquaman and I'm a big Jim Lee fan so I want to see him still on as when he leaves a thing he tends to go away for a while

I'm a fan of Jim Lee too but Ivan Reis is definitely the next best replacement for me as he's one of my all time favourite artists along with Jim Lee. One awesome artist is being replaced by another so it's all good for me. As for Lee, I think he mentioned something about working on a project to bring back the WildCATS to the New 52 DC Universe.

Yeah he would be a great replacement and if Jim Lee does do a WildCATS series it could be good with the right writer as he deserves that being as he created the series

#28 Posted by Lvenger (19936 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

@Lvenger said:

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

It would be nice but I would like to see Jim Lee stay and him stay on Aquaman as I like him on Aquaman and I'm a big Jim Lee fan so I want to see him still on as when he leaves a thing he tends to go away for a while

I'm a fan of Jim Lee too but Ivan Reis is definitely the next best replacement for me as he's one of my all time favourite artists along with Jim Lee. One awesome artist is being replaced by another so it's all good for me. As for Lee, I think he mentioned something about working on a project to bring back the WildCATS to the New 52 DC Universe.

Yeah he would be a great replacement and if Jim Lee does do a WildCATS series it could be good with the right writer as he deserves that being as he created the series

Indeed. Probably why they're getting Lee to incorporate it into the New 52 universe. First Stormwatch and now WildCATS. What's next, the Authority?

#29 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

@Lvenger said:

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

It would be nice but I would like to see Jim Lee stay and him stay on Aquaman as I like him on Aquaman and I'm a big Jim Lee fan so I want to see him still on as when he leaves a thing he tends to go away for a while

I'm a fan of Jim Lee too but Ivan Reis is definitely the next best replacement for me as he's one of my all time favourite artists along with Jim Lee. One awesome artist is being replaced by another so it's all good for me. As for Lee, I think he mentioned something about working on a project to bring back the WildCATS to the New 52 DC Universe.

Yeah he would be a great replacement and if Jim Lee does do a WildCATS series it could be good with the right writer as he deserves that being as he created the series

Indeed. Probably why they're getting Lee to incorporate it into the New 52 universe. First Stormwatch and now WildCATS. What's next, the Authority?

Yeah it would be nice to see that as well I just think they should think through though cause although I didn't read it Stormwatch got cancelled quick so it must have not been doing good.

#30 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8761 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: He should drop Justice League and give someone capable to write right,the personality of the members. C'mon the guy have,what ? 4 titles,Dc have a lot of Good writers,they have to call others,but John should stay in Aquaman and Green Lantern

#31 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19 said:

if he does he should go to action comics. its been getting very meh lately.

I don't know about that. The recent stuff with Captain Comet, Lois' niece, the new secret ID, and the 5d characters was pretty excellent, as far as I'm concerned.

#32 Posted by The Finality (133 posts) - - Show Bio

*dies with sadness*

#33 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze: the new secret identity only lasted one issue, and captian comet was a pretty disapointing villian the newest issue kinda failed to impress me,the first several issues were awesome though. Grant is much better at writing batman and robin than superman iin my opinion.

#34 Posted by jwalser3 (5023 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

Then, months later, Aquaman gets cancelled.

Hopefully, Johns gives us that Cyborg book!

What us with you and hating Aquaman and loving Cyborg lol!

#35 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3: So I'm not allowed to be a fan of a certain character? Says who? Holy cow. And I'm not hating on Aquaman. The fact of the matter is that he was lame as cold fudge before Johns, and he'll most likely be lame as fudge after, similar to the way that Superman is going to suck again after Morrison.

If I am not allowed to be a fan of a character, I don't think I want to continue reading comics.

#36 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw that. Johns should drop the garbage Justice League title he's been failing to write and stick with Green Lantern and Aquaman. He's a terrible, terrible team-based writer.

Moderator
#37 Posted by entropy_aegis (15319 posts) - - Show Bio

Not good enough,he needs to quit altogether.

#38 Posted by entropy_aegis (15319 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@SandMan_: I'm sorry... did you just say Johns should....drop...Green Lantern?

MADNESS.

Could you spoil me on the latest developments in GL? I pm'd Morpheus but he's been gone for a while.

#39 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#40 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13157 posts) - - Show Bio

Really Geoff? You drop the title that you're actually succeeding at?

#41 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

And I'm not hating on Aquaman. The fact of the matter is that he was lame as cold fudge before Johns, and he'll most likely be lame as fudge after

You are using the word "fact" incorrectly.

DC was actively holding him down in the prior couple of years, specifically so that he could be available for Johns try out a few things - turn him into a zombie lantern, create a new Aqualad (and then do NOTHING with him), and finally to work on an Aquaman ongoing. Once Johns got on, I think he did a pretty great job, but let's not pretend his last year or two prior to Johns giving him attention was anything more than an editorial dictate, a limbo created for him until Johns' schedule was ready.

And please don't think it is "a matter of fact" that no one can write Aquaman in a decent way but Geoff Johns. That's flatly untrue. Most of the people who say that didn't even bother trying to read other Aquaman comics and formed their opinion of a comic book super-hero based on Robot Chicken and Family Guy jokes.

#42 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze: For real. WHAT on earth happened to Aqualad? And now you know how I feel about the multitude of Cyborg haters on this site. Sorry to have hurt your feelings man.... if I did. And Johns is doing a stellar job, which is why I want him on a Cyborg book.

#43 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

Sorry to have hurt your feelings man.... if I did.

No sweat, man. The only thing I objected to was the notion that Aquaman was lame as fudge (which, now that I think of it, is weird because fudge is good).

As an Aquaman fan, I'm a bit disappointed if this story turns out to be true because I think Johns' work on this title is better than his work on most other titles and above average for writers of Aquaman, but I don't think it's the end of the world. There are plenty of other good writers that could do just as good a job on Aquaman as Johns. Whether or not DC hires any of them or lets them be good, though, is another matter entirely.

As for Cyborg, I really have no opinion. If Johns can do a good job with him and DC wants to further promote the character, why not? I probably wouldn't buy it. I'm not exactly a Cyborg-hater, just completely indifferent.

#44 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze: The kind of story Johns is doing is not that hard to follow up on in my opinion. They just need a writer that works well with the editors, because I believe they are behind most of DC's mess ups.

#45 Posted by daredevil21134 (11826 posts) - - Show Bio

I rather him let someone else write GL now and continue work on Aquaman

#46 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

I rather him let someone else write GL now and continue work on Aquaman

GL could definitely use a new voice. I'd love to read more GL adventures that show he/they are responsible for more than just the various rainbow lantern corps and inner conflicts with themselves/Alpha Lanterns/guardians.

#47 Posted by Onemoreposter (4051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19 said:

if he does he should go to action comics. its been getting very meh lately.

Jesus Christ no. I'll take Morrison over Johns any day of the week.

#48 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze said:

@Twentyfive said:

And I'm not hating on Aquaman. The fact of the matter is that he was lame as cold fudge before Johns, and he'll most likely be lame as fudge after

You are using the word "fact" incorrectly.

DC was actively holding him down in the prior couple of years, specifically so that he could be available for Johns try out a few things - turn him into a zombie lantern, create a new Aqualad (and then do NOTHING with him), and finally to work on an Aquaman ongoing. Once Johns got on, I think he did a pretty great job, but let's not pretend his last year or two prior to Johns giving him attention was anything more than an editorial dictate, a limbo created for him until Johns' schedule was ready.

And please don't think it is "a matter of fact" that no one can write Aquaman in a decent way but Geoff Johns. That's flatly untrue. Most of the people who say that didn't even bother trying to read other Aquaman comics and formed their opinion of a comic book super-hero based on Robot Chicken and Family Guy jokes.

I've got to admit although until New 52 I've never been a fan of Aquaman but what I did read not just the previous year or 2 before the last about 10-15 years of stuff I've read that has had Aquaman in was poor. I hope he stays on as I have grown a new respect for the character which he deserves.

@daredevil21134 said:

I rather him let someone else write GL now and continue work on Aquaman

I've loved Johns run. I personally would like him to stay on for a while longer but it probably is time to give someone a shot as long as they don't ruin the character likes happened in the past when a popular writers left a series.

#49 Posted by longbowhunter (7093 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not gonna call this false. DC has been jostling around creatives teams like crazy. But, Inferiorego is right. Bleeding Cool makes some very dubious claims.

#50 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter: morrisons leaving on issue 16

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.