Does Aquaman need a sidekick?

#1 Posted by bamaboykmb (149 posts) - - Show Bio

This is gonna be two questions really does Aquaman need a sidekick or is having Mera enough and if if he does get one should it be Garth or Jackson Hyde/Kaldur

or maybe even Aquagirl like Tula or Lorena Marquez oh and Dolphin maybe

#2 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@bamaboykmb: I know this info is from the start of the relaunch, but Lobdell couldn't use Aqualad in Teen Titans because he was going to be used someplace else. It seems like like the most logical place for him to appear would be in Aquaman.

Regardless, I think that having another character on the Aquaman might be nice. I really liked the inclusion of The Others in the current arc.

#3 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Mera as his partner is a great addition, lets focus on her and him.

#4 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

I love mentor/sidekick relationships. I would actually like the modern Teen Titans if they were actually made up of sidekicks instead of young heroes who've apparently never met the heroes they are named for.

So, yeah, I'd love to see the new Aqualad or Aquagirl, or both, be regular characters in the modern comic.

#5 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

Sidekicks are the DC Way. This is not marvel where most of the sidekicks (or highly derivative characters popped up in the last decade or so). DC has a proud tradition. Ideally though Aquaman could get more then one book so the Sidekick stuff can be on the side.

I go Jackson and Lorena though with Teen Titans history gutted Garth kinda gets screwed or you might heavily change his background.

#6 Posted by jwalser3 (5073 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Just keep Mera and we should be good.

#7 Posted by The_Tree (7520 posts) - - Show Bio

I love current Aquaman how it is, but I could go for a sidekick. I love the whole mentor/student relationship between superheroes, and I really wish Jackson were utilized at the moment, he's kind of fallen off the map.

#8 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like him to have an Aqualad again but atthe moment I like him teaming up with Mera.

I remember Scott Lobdell said he wanted to use Aqualad in his Teen Titans series but the character was important to someone else's book, I'm geussing Aquaman is that book.

#9 Posted by Zoch81 (261 posts) - - Show Bio

At moment I like it just be Aquaman and Mera but later on like see both Aqualad and Aquagirl

#10 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@bamaboykmb: I know this info is from the start of the relaunch, but Lobdell couldn't use Aqualad in Teen Titans because he was going to be used someplace else. It seems like like the most logical place for him to appear would be in Aquaman.

Regardless, I think that having another character on the Aquaman might be nice. I really liked the inclusion of The Others in the current arc.

If that's the case, they're probably going to build up Jackson's origin from the beginning, since that seems like a Johns thing to do and he has only like two years of history anyway. If they do that I would buy them, I've regretted not picking up Aquaman since Issue 6. It's a good book, but too much action and not enough talk. Johns and Reis should try working together to make the book a bit calmer, so readers are more surprised when action commences.

#11 Posted by SupBatz (1746 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer it to just stay Aquaman and Mera for a little while longer. Perhaps introduce Aqualad (I'm partial to Jackson) later on as an occassional team-up. Then maybe later as the book goes on have Aqualad become a permanent addition to the team.

#12 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14737 posts) - - Show Bio

Mera is eventually going to die you know?

#13 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

No.

Mera as his partner is a great addition, lets focus on her and him.

#14 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@jsphsmth said:

If that's the case, they're probably going to build up Jackson's origin from the beginning, since that seems like a Johns thing to do and he has only like two years of history anyway. If they do that I would buy them, I've regretted not picking up Aquaman since Issue 6. It's a good book, but too much action and not enough talk. Johns and Reis should try working together to make the book a bit calmer, so readers are more surprised when action commences.

True honestly I get the feeling that both Aqualad and Aquagirl might start out as villains. Ocean Master creating Lorena. Aqualad as part of a Black Manta and Mera's Dad Project. Although we can get a of this next issue, be interesting to see if Black Manta and Mera have met before.

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33620 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO Garth should not be his sidekick, he should be the regent of Atlantis and should be known as Tempest and be more of a "Nightwing" type partner to Aquman, Jackson should be the sidekick Aqua Lad

#16 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

I am expecting the next arc to involve Atlantis, so there will have to be a whole new cast of characters. Could easily include any or all versions of Aqualad and Aquagirl.

#17 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

IMO Garth should not be his sidekick, he should be the regent of Atlantis and should be known as Tempest and be more of a "Nightwing" type partner to Aquman, Jackson should be the sidekick Aqua Lad

Hmm, I was thinking a Prime Minister Type Position For Garth myself.

#18 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9090 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that he has a sidekick sometimes. i think it is more that the sidekick needs Aquaman than Aquaman needing the sidekick. I would love to see Tula, Lorena, Kaldur, and Garth fight along side Aquaman at the same time. Like an Aquaman team

#19 Edited by DEADPOOL (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally would say that Mera makes a good sidekick, without actually being a "sidekick" in the actual meaning of the word. He's her husband, she's at his side no matter what, and she is powerful and is more than capable of handling herself without his aid. They make a great pair, as both a couple and a team.

#20 Posted by X9 (757 posts) - - Show Bio

Not now, I think he's fine with Mera.

#21 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy with it just being Aquaman and Mera for now. The Others are also cool, so I hope they don't just disappear after this arc.

#22 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

The Others are also cool, so I hope they don't just disappear after this arc.

Do you think that The Others could carry a series on their own?

#23 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio
@jsphsmth Probably not. They've got that connection to Aquaman, so if we're going to learn more about the team's history, or even future adventures, I think it needs to be in the pages of his book. I'm excited to find out the origin of the golden artifacts, but I really hope Johns doesn't drag the answer out for too long.
#24 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Agreed.

#25 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

Do you think that The Others could carry a series on their own?

I'd rather read about the Others than about a renegade Talon. If one of those guys can get his own book, I certainly don't see the Others as having less potential.

#26 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Well.its.implied.that.Garth.existed..I.think.Aquaman.should.stick.with.the.outsider/loner.angle.for.now.

I'd.love.to.see.more.of.Jackson.Hyde/Kaldur.later,.especially.if.DC.is.going.for.diversity.

#27 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze: It seemed to me that DC gave The Others a lot of press prior to the arc. They had a week long event on their blog debuting each character. It seemed excessive for a throw away team. It really made me think that DC had long-term plans beyond Aquaman.

#28 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@Hatutzeraze: It seemed to me that DC gave The Others a lot of press prior to the arc. They had a week long event on their blog debuting each character. It seemed excessive for a throw away team. It really made me think that DC had long-term plans beyond Aquaman.

I really hope so. They really are an exciting team.

#29 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

I'm happy with it just being Aquaman and Mera for now. The Others are also cool, so I hope they don't just disappear after this arc.

Perhaps,Geoff Johns show more of the past Aquaman and this team, how they met, how they got the relics.....

#30 Posted by BlackWind (6492 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise: Personally, I want Kaldur. His design is more unique. Jackson looks far too much like Static.

#31 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't need it,but always will have

#32 Posted by longbowhunter (7127 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesnt need a sidekick. But I loved Jackson as Aqualad. I have no idea why he was created to only be put on the back burner.

#33 Posted by TDK_1997 (14899 posts) - - Show Bio

For now no.His current state is great and Mera being his partner is great.

#34 Posted by Black_Claw (2996 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I like Kaldur, I think Mera is enough for now.

#35 Posted by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but some of his past writers need a side kick...to the face!

#36 Posted by BlackWind (6492 posts) - - Show Bio

With recent happenings, Arthur may need Garth more than ever right now.

#37 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

@bamaboykmb said:

This is gonna be two questions really does Aquaman need a sidekick or is having Mera enough and if if he does get one should it be Garth or Jackson Hyde/Kaldur

or maybe even Aquagirl like Tula or Lorena Marquez oh and Dolphin maybe

Mera is more than enough. I like that she assists him without being a traditional sidekick.

#38 Posted by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, not to take the spotlight off Mera or anything, but to expand his family.

#39 Posted by BlackWind (6492 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that Mera can't be with Aquaman in Atlantis, not to mention the subordinates who won't be keen on him, Aquaman needs someone he can trust and emphasize with. If new 52 Garth is getting heat for his purple eyes the way Aquaman did for being half human, it could be interesting for them to team up.

#40 Posted by Raw_Material (3296 posts) - - Show Bio

As of right now don't think Aquaman really needs a sidekick. Being in a relationship with Mera who's also a strong powerhouse, they'll be able to defeat any threat that comes to the ocean floor which clearly shows throughout the Throne of Atlantis crossover that their teamwork is very effective.

#41 Posted by Captain13 (3335 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, because the Aqua Family should look like this:

#42 Edited by Justthatkid (4110 posts) - - Show Bio

@thecrowbar: A supporting doesn't have to be constantly shown and lobdell wanted to use Kaldur so he could of got a backstory from johns and written in not interfering with Mera and Arthur's character growth.

#43 Posted by PCN24454 (454 posts) - - Show Bio

Do any superheroes need sidekicks except for plot and revenue?

#44 Posted by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't he the king of Atlantis? The whole city is his sidekick lol. If he ever gets in trouble, he should just pick some random soldier(s) for assistance.

#45 Posted by Raw_Material (3296 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, just for a few story arcs! Maybe Aqualad considering he appeared in Teen Titans or Topo cause we already saw him in the recent Aquaman issues. I'm happy we at least have Topo to fall back too. They made him a beast in the New 52! He was one of my favorite Aquaman sidekicks!

#46 Edited by Justthatkid (4110 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that I think of it Garth could of been a soldier alongside Tula and later on get a mini series with a back story maybe explaining the boy with the purple eye's and Jackson could of been with Tim's team or later introduced and put with Tim in his team of Titans, Reintroducing Lorena confuses me but I would enjoy that.

#47 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

No, focus on him and Mera

#48 Posted by BlackWind (6492 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point, I don't even care anymore that the reboot screwed up the fact that Garth was in Nightwing/Troia/Kid Flash's age group. I'd be just as happy if Garth, Tula, and Kaldur were peers like in YJ.

#49 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Just Aquaman and Mera. I could see Garth, Tula, and Kaldur fighting alongside him as the Aqua family. But I don't want them as "sidekicks."

#50 Posted by Knightfall225 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Aquaman and Mera fighting and going to on adventures together

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.