DC Announces New Creative Team for AQUAMAN #20

• 67 results
Posted by G-Man (18889 posts) - - Show Bio

Today IGN found out that the solicit information for AQUAMAN #20 has changed. Geoff Johns and Paul Pelletier will not be the creative team on that issue. Instead the issue will feature guest writer John Ostrander.

The issue will feature art by Manuel Garcia and Sandra Hope with the cover (above) by Paul Pelletier and Sean Parsons. The story will introduce a new member of The Others.

Does this mean Geoff Johns is ready to leave the title? Not necessarily. He did tweet the following:

AQUAMAN #20 is on sale May 22.

Source: IGN

#1 Posted by TheElusiveNewReader (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Let us pray

#2 Posted by Trevel8182 (754 posts) - - Show Bio

Good because I would have been pissed if Johns left Aquaman but stayed on shitty Justice League.

#3 Posted by cincyducksfan35 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

Ostrander is my favorite writer. Wish he could just write a Martian Manhunter monthly again

#4 Edited by The_Tree (7952 posts) - - Show Bio

I was about to be pretty upset before I learned that it's only one issue, and before I learned that it was being written by Ostrander. They couldn't have chosen a better guest writer!

#5 Edited by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

and I thought for a second I'd have to drop my only DC book.

it's Johns or bust

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35016 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm me thinks DC is testing the water

#7 Edited by Raw_Material (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

I seen this tweet he posted via Twitter as well. This definitely got my head rushing for a little bit, but I'm hoping that issue #20 will turn out great not knowing what the temporary creative team is capable of. Hopefully it won't be that certain issue where it's like, "oh, there was a different writer and artist working on this issue I could tell" and instead more like, "wow, that was yet another great issue..the new team definitely filled in the shoes of Johns and Pelletier quite nicely!"

#8 Edited by Raw_Material (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully we can see some great TP feats of Aquaman, knowing that Ostrander wrote for a Martian Manhunter title before.

Although, really anxious to see how the art of this issue turns out. I don't wanna see a Marvel looking Aquaman anytime soon!

#9 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7559 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice to see a new creative team for an issue =)

#10 Edited by Superdork (912 posts) - - Show Bio

They are just testing the waters with Ostrander. Johns will leave Aquaman to write Shazam after he finishes Trinity War. Cyborg will get the Justice League back up pages. And Johns cannot leave Justice League due to his job as Chief Creative Officer of a comic universe with no history and due to pressure from Warner Brothers.

Sorry, but it's true.

#11 Edited by Raw_Material (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

@cincyducksfan35 said:

Ostrander is my favorite writer. Wish he could just write a Martian Manhunter monthly again

Was he really that good of a writer when he wrote for Martian Manhunter?

@theelusivenewreader said:

Let us pray

Im with you on this one. Let's bow our heads...

@dmc said:

and I thought for a second I'd have to drop my only DC book.

it's Johns or bust

Lol. I feel ya..but I've been a Aqua fan since Peter David's run..Although, if Geoff leaves it won't feel the same.

@jonny_anonymous said:

Hm me thinks DC is testing the water

Think DC is diving into deep waters without knowing how to swim first, like wtf!

#12 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1174 posts) - - Show Bio

They are just testing the waters with Ostrander. Johns will leave Aquaman to write Shazam after he finishes Trinity War. Cyborg will get the Justice League back up pages. And Johns cannot leave Justice League due to his job as Chief Creative Officer of a comic universe with no history and due to pressure from Warner Brothers.

Sorry, but it's true.

OR, and just hear me out, DC is testing the waters, in preparation for an Others ongoing, with Ostrander on writing duties. I would totally buy an Others series. I was actually just thinking about them today.

#13 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously Johns is way too busy with Trinity War, I dont mind this at all.

#14 Posted by Jslab425 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is testing the waters, just not in the way you think!

The unplanned issue was necessary, in a recent interview with us, Pelletier admitted to struggling with DC's New 52 deadlines.

Hope everyone buys issue #20 -- you won't regret it (no coincidence that The Others: AQUAMAN Vol. 2 is also out in May)!

@AquamanShrine

the Aquaman Shrine

#15 Posted by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Sorry, but it's true.

OR, and just hear me out, DC is testing the waters, in preparation for an Others ongoing, with Ostrander on writing duties. I would totally buy an Others series. I was actually just thinking about them today.

I'd much prefer the second of those options, though I find it unlikely.

#16 Posted by Superdork (912 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Sorry, but it's true.

Exactly

#17 Posted by longbowhunter (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

Right on! John Ostrander is aces!

#18 Posted by SynCig (642 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with everyone who is saying they hope Johns stays on the title. I would like to see him on the book for a looooong time to come. I don't expect him to be on it as long as he was on Green Lantern but I can hope. I have always liked Aquaman as a character but there isn't much to read as far as quality solo stories.

#19 Edited by chalkshark (1195 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I've got no real interest in the Others. I'd rather see Ostrander on Suicide Squad.

#20 Posted by dondave (38893 posts) - - Show Bio

Liked his Martian Manhunter series, so I have high hopes for this issue

#21 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff, don't do this to me! You're leaving or have left Green Lantern, I'm still smarting over you leaving JSA, and then you SCARE US INTO THINKING YOU MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN!?!?!? Just don't!

#22 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. Both are good writers.

#23 Posted by cagedleo730 (244 posts) - - Show Bio

It's already been mentioned that the Others would get a spinoff series. The unknown is when. This seems like a fill-in which could lead to a mini or ongoing.

#24 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright then, I don't mind this. Ostrander's solid and I want to see some more of the Others.

#25 Edited by Zeeguy91 (1174 posts) - - Show Bio

@jameskm716 said:

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Sorry, but it's true.

Exactly

Its really not that unlikely. Right now, the New 52 only has 50 titles. They need another two to fill the space, so why not the Others? A well-recieved new team spinning out of a popular run from a popular writer on a newly popular character.

#26 Posted by Superdork (912 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

@jameskm716 said:

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Sorry, but it's true.

Exactly

Its really not that unlikely. Right now, the New 52 only has 50 titles. They need another two to fill the space, so why not the Others? A well-recieved new team spinning out of a popular run from a popular writer on a newly popular character.

They aren't that well known and would sell as poorly as Team 7 or Stormwatch. They're W-list characters.

#27 Posted by jwalser3 (5279 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

Good because I would have been pissed if Johns left Aquaman but stayed on shitty Justice League.

Right? Aquaman is fantastic under Johns, and JL is horrible under Johns. So weird..

#30 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

*Reads article title*

Uhm, excuse me?

*Reads article*

Phew, that was a mini-heart attack waiting to happen!

#31 Edited by xAnimosity (183 posts) - - Show Bio

I screamed when I saw the head line. But sighed with relief at the tweet.

#32 Edited by Raw_Material (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

@jslab425: Nice to see you guys on Comic Vine. Love the site you guys created for Aquaman. Keep the shrine strong!

I'm probably one of the hugest Aqua fan actively using Comic Vine right now (probably) and write a lot reviews on Aquaman issues.

My question to you is; it's obvious that you folks now more in depths of Aquaman's mythology than I do and was wondering why not help build on the Aquaman wiki homepage?! I recently made CV my "home" and have been trying to touch up on Aquaman wiki page (off and on). However, due to my lack of knowledge with some content of his, I can only do so much. It would be nice to get the Aquaman page fully developed. Although, I do build on what I already have on the page and edit in the current events/major story arcs.

#33 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1174 posts) - - Show Bio

They aren't that well known and would sell as poorly as Team 7 or Stormwatch. They're W-list characters.

Because Pandora, Amethyst, The Green Team, Dial H, and The Movement are so A-list??? Plus, Talon was launched featuring a brand new character that hadn't appeared anywhere before. The Others are the creation of a popular writer and have been introduced in a title that's been selling gangbusters since the New 52 started.

#34 Posted by Superdork (912 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Because Pandora, Amethyst, The Green Team, Dial H, and The Movement are so A-list??? Plus, Talon was launched featuring a brand new character that hadn't appeared anywhere before. The Others are the creation of a popular writer and have been introduced in a title that's been selling gangbusters since the New 52 started.

Those books are all headed to cancellation. An 'Others' book would last 8-10 issues tops.

#35 Posted by NathanXplosion (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Its one issue so I'm not gonna trip about it.

#36 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (88 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad this is only for one issue. Seeing as how Johns has been on GL since Rebirth, I was hoping he'd do something similar for Aquaman. Looking forward to more Others stuff, so this is good.

#37 Edited by reaperOnyx (1177 posts) - - Show Bio

O i will be waiting for this one.

#38 Posted by RyanAJoseph (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@jslab425 said:

DC is testing the waters, just not in the way you think!

The unplanned issue was necessary, in a recent interview with us, Pelletier admitted to struggling with DC's New 52 deadlines.

Hope everyone buys issue #20 -- you won't regret it (no coincidence that The Others: AQUAMAN Vol. 2 is also out in May)!

@AquamanShrine

the Aquaman Shrine

If this means what I think it means all I have to say is WOO-HOO!!! I was totally killed when Tomasi's the Others series didn't materialize and can't imagine how cool Ostrander would be on this title with the right art team.

And shame on CV for such a misleading title grab which basically copied all content from IGN, LOL

#39 Edited by bladewolf (873 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just glad The Others are coming back!

#40 Posted by Grey56 (744 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully we can see some great TP feats of Aquaman, knowing that Ostrander wrote for a Martian Manhunter title before.

Although, really anxious to see how the art of this issue turns out. I don't wanna see a Marvel looking Aquaman anytime soon!

Pretty much what this gentleman said.

#41 Posted by roboadmiral (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, okay. Have to take a minute to calm down. That article title had me worried.

#42 Posted by CitizenJP (624 posts) - - Show Bio

The series has yet to let me down. Bring it on.

#43 Posted by czechoslovakia (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that the new cover? The one on the solicits is somewhat plainer and more simple, but I liked it

#44 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (531 posts) - - Show Bio

May 22. That's my birthday. You better give me a damn great present Ostrander!

#45 Posted by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91: You overestimate their popularity.

They really aren't that popular. The Others aren't that popular. They're almost entirely new characters. DC hasn't taken a chance like that since Talon, which came out of their most popular ongoing and story line.

Aquaman is popular, but carrying two Ongoings? that's HIGHLY unlikely.

Moreover, it's more likely that they wouldn't sell very well. Look at Talon, while it is fantastic, it doesn't sell that well, and that's coming off of their most popular ongoing and story arc of the New 52.

#46 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

John Ostrander is the man! For a second I feared they were letting JT Krul destroy yet another beloved DC Character.

#47 Edited by DonFelipe (1292 posts) - - Show Bio

The Others... reminds me of LOST.

#48 Posted by Purgatory (37 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Announces New Creative Team!

... it's one issue by one different writer. Then Johns comes back the next month.

Is that what happened with Batman 13?

New Creative Team for Batman 13! ~~~~ Greg took one issue off.

#49 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

@jameskm716 said:

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Sorry, but it's true.

Exactly

WRONG!! 1. Team 7 was written by Justin Jordon?!? Seriously, who the hell is Justin Jordon. And 2. Stormwatch was a mess from the start with their superhero team that was so "super secret and awesome" even Batman & Superman didnt know they existed. DC bought Wildstorm and now doesnt know what to do with it. John Ostrander could make a great book out of total nobodies, that's what great writers do.

#50 Edited by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711: WRONG!! 1. Team 7 was written by Justin Jordon?!? Seriously, who the hell is Justin Jordon. And 2. Stormwatch was a mess from the start with their superhero team that was so "super secret and awesome" even Batman & Superman didnt know they existed. DC bought Wildstorm and now doesnt know what to do with it. John Ostrander could make a great book out of total nobodies, that's what great writers do.

Justin Jordon is new indie talent. Except DC won't green light a book off of a team of nobodies that aren't super popular, or acclaimed.

Team 7 had Deathstroke headlining. Stormwatch had the Wildstrom fans on their side.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.