Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4626 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Could The Rock play Aquaman in the DC Cinematic Universe?

phantom1527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Could Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson play Aquaman in the DC Cinematic Universe?

As a DC comics fan, I was excited to hear that The Rock signed a deal with Warner Brothers to be a part of the DC Cinematic Universe. Immediately I began to think about all the characters a charismatic action movie star like The Rock could portray. I thought possibly Black Adam, Lobo or even Bane once Affleck’s Batman reboots the character. I also saw many blogs suggesting John Stewart GL, Martian Manhunter and even Cyborg.

After further thought, I found flaws with all of those choices. I think The Rock is almost too much of a physical presence to portray Martian Manhunter or John Stewart. Although Martian Manhunter and John Stewart are among the most powerful beings in the universe, it would be weird to see those characters look far more physically imposing than Superman (The Rock is much bigger and buffer than Henry Caville). The problem with Cyborg is that he has always been portrayed as a teenager/young man and The Rock is currently 41 years old. I think The Rock would be fantastic as Black Adam, Lobo or Bane, but I feel like that would be underutilizing as an actor. If he did portray one of those villains, it would in all likelihood be a one-time appearance in film as a supporting character to the character’s respective foe (Shazam/Captain Marvel, Superman and Batman).

I then began to see rumors that Jason Momoa could be portraying Aquaman. Although Aquaman is often ridiculed for being a useless character in comparison to the other Justice League members, he’s still arguably the most recognizable character in the DC universe other than Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash. There’s no reason to think that Jason Momoa would make a better Aquaman than The Rock. A physically imposing action star with charisma and actual acting chops like the Rock is born to play the leading man in a standalone superhero film. I also think an actor like The Rock could help change the stigma attached to the character because he’s such a popular actor and is able to bring a sense of badass to most of his movies. The fact that The Rock made his contract with Warner Brothers so public leaves me to believe that he’s going to appear in multiple films and possible star in his own standalone film.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Your thoughts?

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Could he? Yes. Should he? Nooooo.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Absolutely no.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Rock should play a villain. He needs to step outside the "charismatic hero" if he wants to grow more.

Even his character in FatF was an anti-hero. I want to see him be a pure villain.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Black Adam or GTFO, I wouldn't want him anywhere near DC if its not gonna be Black Adam

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Adam or GTFO, I wouldn't want him anywhere near DC if its not gonna be Black Adam

I think he has the look for Black Adam but he's way too

No Caption Provided

and:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@arturocalakayvee: yeah I have to admit He only has the looks for Black Adam, I honestly dont like him. He sucks in Gi joe, He sucks in Fast and Furious, and if you ever saw the Game Plan you would hate him as well, lol. I don't like him. But as I said he was the look for BA.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Every time I see him in a movie, no matter what the role is, he's always just The Rock cosplaying in my eyes. Never have taken him seriously in any movie I've seen of him.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

LOL, no

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Transformers1024

Noooooooo.

I want him to play Black Adam, Lobo, he could probably be a pretty good John Stewart. But he could kick some ass as Cyborg!

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only role I'd like to see Rock in a Aquaman movie would be Black Manta

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Plsno

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if he calls Black Manta a jabroni.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman is blonde and white, don't see Rock fitting that build. But I think he could make a great Black Adam.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.