Could Aquaman hold a video game?

• 60 results
#1 Posted by Danial79 (2335 posts) - - Show Bio

Video games and comics go together pretty well, and even though most adaptations are average at best, the Batman: Arkham games have shown that they can be done well if the developer has the passion and isn't simply milking the franchise.

So, as the thread title says, my question is whether you think Aquaman could hold his own video game. If so, how do you think it should be handled?

It should be noted that in 2003, Aquaman did get his own game, called Battle for Atlantis, but it is generally considered to be one of the worst video games ever created... so let's never speak of it again :P

#2 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

You could get a good plot and good gameplay in an Aquaman game but it just wouldn't be popular enough.

#3 Posted by Danial79 (2335 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

I apologize, but this has to be done. Thank you for the opportunity.

I really don't see what either of those has to do with my question, but thanks for the spam.

#4 Posted by Danial79 (2335 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106 said:

You could get a good plot and good gameplay in an Aquaman game but it just wouldn't be popular enough.

What about a smaller XBLA/PSN game? Those are cheaper to develop (not distribution or packaging costs) and don't rely as much on "popularity".

#5 Edited by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: I think an Aquaman game would be hard because of his setting. He's underwater most of the time, and adapting to the physics would be a female dog.

But I wouldn't mind an uncharted style game, minus the guns. A treasure hunting game that has settings like Borneo, Sumatra, or some place like the Mediterranean with Black Manta as the final villain.

#6 Posted by Danial79 (2335 posts) - - Show Bio
@Twentyfive He's barely been in the water in the new series, and he's never been more popular, so perhaps keeping him mostly on land is way to go. The Others storyline has also touched on treasure hunting, so that, too, could work with your idea.
#7 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

they should make an animated movie about him first. pump him up for the non-comic reading public to notice by making a tv show for him. then give him a live action movie. otherwise the game wont sell very well. because the public still views him as that useless dude that can talk to fish.

#8 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Can you imagine an Arkham styled game done in Atlantis? Its going to be epic.

#9 Posted by Referee (6636 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey don't laugh but I love Battle for Atlantis.

But yes he does deserve a better style game.

#10 Posted by CrimsonCake (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

They could probably spin it off from the Justice League game rocksteady is developing.

#11 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a Facebook game.

#12 Posted by jwalser3 (4798 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive:I thought you were cooler then that man :(.

You are the people that make Aquaman look bad. Have you read his new series? He is in the jungle, snowy mountains, city, and the desert.

#13 Posted by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3: You know, I started this whole thing after I read all the replies to the thread "Who is the pointless member of the JL guys?", and an alarming number of posters replied Cyborg, which undoubtedly made me furious. Just because he's new and replaced someone who isn't even human, people are going on an on about how he is the most useless member of the league, despite having the worlds most up-to-date technology infused in he central nervous system. Those people made Cyborg look bad, and they don't even care. If they keep ragging on Cy without people defending him, the JLA is going to go back to what it was before, which is my number one problem with this industry. I even read someone saying "Why is Cyborg in [Injustice]? He is not even supposed to be a Justice Leaguer".

It leaves me to wonder how many issues a Cyborg comic would get before DC swung the axe at it.

If you, and other Aquaman fans would like, I will take down my first post. I know it was offensive, but it was supposed to be.

But you are right. I shouldn't have posted that. I looked like them. From now on, I won't worry about narrow minds, I'll just worry about encountering more and more open minds.

#14 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Its the kind of games that veer off the beaten path that have the most potential.

#15 Posted by Danial79 (2335 posts) - - Show Bio
@Twentyfive I've never been one for posts that focus on the negative, like "Who is the worst/most useless/stupidest/ugliest". There's always going to be someone who's a fan of said character, and because they associate with them on some level, will take offense. We should all try and focus on being positive and constructive :)
#16 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd play it if it looked good, but most people still classify him as a joke character who has the combined powers of Spongebob. Lies, but still the popular interpretation.

#17 Posted by Danial79 (2335 posts) - - Show Bio

Back on topic, I personally think The Others arc could be a great basis for a video game. The focus would obviously be on Aquaman, but I think the team itself holds a lot of potential. It's a year of Aquaman's life we've yet to see.

#18 Posted by Z3RO180 (6331 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: yes i think auqa-man could hold his own game. You could have one masive open ocen for him to swim and fight in also you could hav a city for him to jump around in. The srory could foucus on him growing up on land then fighting of atlaniten who were sent to kill him due to his hybrid heritege.

#19 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: Yes,maybe if the Rocksteady is the game developer... because they are doing a great job with Batman

#20 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1241 posts) - - Show Bio

I have Aquaman Battle for Atlantis its a ok game. Kind of boring sometimes but I played worse. Like Hellboy: Asylum Seeker. now that game blows.

#21 Posted by Danial79 (2335 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21 said:

@Danial79: Yes,maybe if the Rocksteady is the game developer... because they are doing a great job with Batman

I'm pretty sure WB owns Rocksteady now, so the chances would be high that it would be them making it. Aquaman was in Lego Batman 2 and is rumoured to be in Injustice, so I guess that's a start :)

#22 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: Is it? hopefully they are already planenjando play this game soon, perhaps they are waiting for the commemoration of one year New 52 to announce.

#23 Edited by redwingx (565 posts) - - Show Bio

The current console's aren't powerful enough for an Aquaman game.

#24 Posted by sinestro_GL (3066 posts) - - Show Bio

Any hero could theoretically have a game as good as the Arkham series from Batman...

#25 Posted by ShrimpDino (841 posts) - - Show Bio

I would buy a Aquaman video game if he is more like the Brave And Bold cartoon Aquaman or New 52 Aquaman

#26 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShrimpDino said:

I would buy a Aquaman video game if he is more like the New 52 Aquaman

#27 Posted by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

@ShrimpDino said:

I would buy a Aquaman video game if he is more like the New 52 Aquaman

yeah me too..

#28 Posted by TheGraySon (457 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is, i think having an undersea life game is the key. Havent you guys played kingdom hearts? How awesome was the little mermaid level? If they could make a vast enough free roam in the ocean, that includes Atlantis i think it could hold its own. Of course hed have stories out of the ocean too, but major arcs underwater because of villains like ocean master. It would have to have good combat and a good free roam though.

#29 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8420 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGraySon: I never heard about this game

#30 Posted by GuruOfFunk (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the potential for an Aquaman game to be amazing in extremely high. If the people making it actually know what they're doing and care about it as much as Rocksteady does the Batman games it would be awesome.

#31 Posted by Danial79 (2335 posts) - - Show Bio

@GuruOfFunk said:

I think the potential for an Aquaman game to be amazing in extremely high. If the people making it actually know what they're doing and care about it as much as Rocksteady does the Batman games it would be awesome.

I think that's it, hey. It all comes down to respect and passion.

#32 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2116 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it could work its just that he dosent have a lot of rouges compared to batman and flash or even green lantern

the only way to pull it off is to do it with out free roam and side missions like arkham games

#33 Posted by TheGraySon (457 posts) - - Show Bio

@Arkhamc1tizen: He actually does have a lot of villains.. Black Manta, Ocean Master, Eel, Fisherman, King Shark, The Deep Six, and hes even fought Neptunes son. Im pretty sure they could make a game like Arkham city for Aquaman. Id buy that shit in a second.

#34 Posted by Retro_Metro (368 posts) - - Show Bio

If I see Aquaman making underwater typhoons,bursting through submarines,and using himself as a swirling torpedo against huge monsters then maybe.

#35 Posted by Watchmen95 (100 posts) - - Show Bio

It is possible but... I doubt it.

#36 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

An Aquaman video game? Well, I did love Echo the Dolphin.

Edit: I'm not even kidding it was awesome.

#37 Edited by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Rocksteady should only touch Batman! Nuff siad =>~

#38 Posted by Justthatkid (3010 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6153 posts) - - Show Bio

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#40 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

If rocksteady made it

#41 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3247 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: @danial79:

Absolutely right. Echo was an amazing game that really broke the mold at the time of a million Mario and/or Sonic clones. Graphics and sound have come a long way since the days of the Sega Genesis, so I could see a great Aquaman game. I'd love to see what someone like Kojima-San of Metal Gear Solid fame could do with him and his surrounding cast (along with the cameos of other JLA'ers). It could be awesome.

#42 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Imagine Uncharted with super powers, a greater threat and underwater scenes and there's your Aquaman game.

#43 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: @danial79:

Absolutely right. Echo was an amazing game that really broke the mold at the time of a million Mario and/or Sonic clones. Graphics and sound have come a long way since the days of the Sega Genesis, so I could see a great Aquaman game. I'd love to see what someone like Kojima-San of Metal Gear Solid fame could do with him and his surrounding cast (along with the cameos of other JLA'ers). It could be awesome.

Indeed.

I feel compelled to point out that I spelled the name wrong: it's Ecco the Dolphin. And it's one of the few games I actively miss from the Genesis. (Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 also). And I see from that wiki article that it's available for purchase on Steam. Hmm. Don't mind if I do.

#44 Posted by Justthatkid (3010 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: It would be awesome if you could throw the trident like how Batarangs are thrown in the Arkham game, and if some missions were on land, There could be missions dealing with taking down ships, freeing Atlantians from surface world prisons, Preventing Atlantians from attacking shores, and possibly with dealing with assassins. In the JL cartoon Deadshot tried to take him out, and he had run in's with Slade in the comics.

#45 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: The potential is near limitless, the problem is to find someone who knows and cares about the source material enough to utilize it.

#46 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3247 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg:

Indeed.

I feel compelled to point out that I spelled the name wrong: it's Ecco the Dolphin. And it's one of the few games I actively miss from the Genesis. (Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 also). And I see from that wiki article that it's available for purchase on Steam. Hmm. Don't mind if I do.

Don't forget Streets of Rage 3, Eternal Champions, and X-Men 2. They were among my all time Genesis favorites. Well, them and Vectorman...

@justthatkid:It would be awesome if you could throw the trident like how Batarangs are thrown in the Arkham game, and if some missions were on land, There could be missions dealing with taking down ships, freeing Atlantians from surface world prisons, Preventing Atlantians from attacking shores, and possibly with dealing with assassins. In the JL cartoon Deadshot tried to take him out, and he had run in's with Slade in the comics.

With Aquaman being a Head of State, this idea would have immediate plausibility. Well done.

#47 Posted by Black_Claw (2915 posts) - - Show Bio

@crimsoncake: Really? I never heard they were developing one.

#48 Posted by Justthatkid (3010 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: I haven't heard of one I think the topics on if Aquaman could have success in a game which I think would be awesome.

#49 Posted by sinestro_GL (3066 posts) - - Show Bio

Would be great!

Imagine throwing the trident, summoning whales, and punching Manta!

#50 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (4922 posts) - - Show Bio

no

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.