Awesome Toy Picks: Aquaman and Black Manta

Posted by G-Man (30617 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome Toy Picks is where we get to check out some of the coolest toys sold today. Aquaman is becoming more and more popular due to the way Geoff Johns has been writing him since his return in Brightest Day. Unfortunately, these figures might not help with his new and improved tougher appearance.

Mattel has recently released a line of Retro-Action figures. They are pretty close to the old MEGO dolls from the 70s. I saw these and due to their combination of cheesiness and coolness, I had to get them. And you can't really get one without the other. That's right, today we're going to take a look at Aquaman and Black Manta.

== TEASER ==

These guys have plastic heads and cloth outfits. Their hands and boots are also plastic. Actually, Aquaman isn't wearing any boots. He's sort of just wearing...stockings. But take a look at him. He has the belt, the fins on his calves AND he has a plastic trident.

Black Manta does look a bit cooler. He has his red eyes (instead of yellow ones seen long ago) as well as a plastic backpack that plugs into the top of his head.

What's even cooler about these figures (or dolls) is their joints and posability. I was surprised at how easily they stood on their own, especially considering Aquaman isn't wearing shoes. Their joints are pretty loose but not in a way where they flop around.

I'll admit I got these two 'on sale' at EntertainmentEarth.com but it was worth the price. And look, they can even play together nicely.

I also had this old set of DC Pocket Heroes with these two. This is the only set I got and I picked it up when "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies was a hit on the radio. You know because of that line, "Hold it now and watch the hoodwink, as I make you stop think, you'll think you're looking at Aquaman."

Apparently Black Manta didn't approve of his likeness with these. They originally were released in 2002. I got mine off ebay but still haven't been able to bring myself to actually opening it. Not sure if there's really a reason.

That's it for this week. Be sure to check out the next installment of Awesome Toy Picks coming soon.

Staff
#1 Posted by Assassin_Elektra (40 posts) - - Show Bio

"Cheesy" is definitely the right word, but I think it makes an awesome edition for any collectors shelf. The retro look isn't often seen anymore, so I think overall these are pretty cool.

Nice featured Toy picks..!

#2 Edited by Hot_Karl (288 posts) - - Show Bio

That Black Manta one is pretty adorbz.

#3 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

this is why people call action figures dolls. at first they WERE dolls.

#4 Posted by SoA (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

"How can I help it if I think you're funny when you're mad?

Trying hard not to smile though I feel bad" definitely what Aquaman is saying to Black Manta in those last few pics

#5 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12506 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god......Robot Chicken style Aquaman.......kill me now

#6 Posted by BatClaw89 (144 posts) - - Show Bio

Garbage. good thing i was not born in that era

#7 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3712 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. Certainly different from todays figures.

Black Manta: Oh why, oh why is my son, Black Manta Jr. trapped inside that box with his archnemesis, Aguaman Jr.?!

Aguaman: It must be that dastardous Mattel-corporation! Black Manta, we must form a typical unsteady alliance, which will end to a typical fight between the two of us, so we can beat this common foe!

Black Manta: Agreed!

Black Manta Jr.: Eh, father...could you first get me out of this plastic cell?

Black Manta: I`m sorry, but I can`t. You see, I`m an evil dad, as you already know, and we can`t be nice to our children.

Aguaman Jr: Yes you can ba. Ra`s al Ghul is nice to Talia.

Black Manta: Well...

Aguaman: Manta...have a heart.

Black Manta: Well...okay. But just this one time!

Black Manta Jr and Aguaman Jr: Yayyyyyy!!!

And both sons were left out of the box. Together, the four of them fought against the evil Mattel-corporation. Eventually, they lost. Too bad.

And if you`re wondering about the continuity errors, they are intentional.

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (6725 posts) - - Show Bio

These are great. I've always wanted Green Arrow , but that seems to be a tough one to get a hold of.

#9 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice list, I love the Black Manta.

#10 Posted by JangoCrossfire (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, I used to have an Aquaman and a Batman like these when I was a youngster. My little sister would steal them for her Barbies' playmates.

#11 Posted by luther22 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

They look top heavy I'm surprised they can stand on there own.

#12 Posted by deadpool25mm (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Im new to the dc and love the new aquaman , but i guess now i know why people hated him before lol they make him look like a Barby.

#13 Posted by The Impersonator (4992 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15 said:

Nice list, I love the Black Manta.

#14 Posted by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAAAAALES!

#15 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

I want those pocket superheroes!

#16 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so happy that I'm not the only Aquaman fan anymore. Thank you Geoff!

I don't buy that many toys, but this is VERY tempting.

Aww. Nice to see they've gotten past the whole "killed Arthur Jr." incident.

#17 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice! I like the Black Manta one especially...

#18 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

lol ive seen these at toysrus

#19 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Before reading Geoff's work I could be laughing at Aquaman, now I just feel bad for him :'(

@deadpool25mm said:

Im new to the dc and love the new aquaman , but i guess now i know why people hated him before lol they make him look like a Barby.

No, not like a Barbie... like a Ken :D

#20 Posted by Inverno (13057 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome.

#21 Posted by DrifterInGreen (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Never would have guessed I could want an Aquaman figure as

much as I do right now. These articles are definitely one of my favorite things

about Comicvine.

#22 Posted by Empty_One (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'd rather get the Darkseid or Two Face

#23 Posted by MasterofChaos (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, Batman: The Brave and the Bold made Aquaman cool again, in a way even Justice League couldn't.

#24 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

They have these at my toys r us, I have always thought they looked a little weird, but black manta looks pretty neat in my opinion.

#25 Posted by Michiel76 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

I know i'm a geek, i play videogames and read comics, but i draw the line at toys (oh and cosplay) this is too much geekness even for me.

#26 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha^^

I love these classic vintage Silver Age-style toys^^

This Aquaman looks like the ones the guys used to animate on Robot Chicken!! Bwahaha <3

#27 Posted by Iron Apollo (2191 posts) - - Show Bio

Is black manta grabbing aquamans butt?

#28 Posted by circusrock (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I need both of them, now.

#29 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

lol, I love the shots you took of them G-Man.

You guys should consider doing something like 'Action Figure Theater' with all the cool toys you got over there :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.