Aquaman's telepathy question?

#1 Posted by Crimson_Butterfly (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Does it work on non-sea creatures like humans,land animals and aliens like Kryptonians? Can he use it to read minds,communicate or fire psionic bolts like Emma Frost?

#2 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he reads minds or actually communicates with minds, it's more a type of mental control. And I think it only works on creatures adapted to living in the water.

#3 Posted by cbishop (6317 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been told he leveled Darkseid with it in a JLA story once, but I have yet to actually see that. He doesn't fire psionic bolts. Most times, he just talks to fish. I have always had the theory that DC could reveal that Arthur has always kept the full extent of his telepathy a secret, because he is the king of an undersea nation, and it gives him a tactical and political advantage. I reasoned Martian Manhunter would not have revealed it out of some telepathic ethics thingie. DC has yet to up his telepathic power in that way though, as far as I know, but I'm not fluent in all things Aquaman.

#4 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crimson_Butterfly said:

Does it work on non-sea creatures like humans,land animals and aliens like Kryptonians? Can he use it to read minds,communicate or fire psionic bolts like Emma Frost?

Generally speaking, no. Because there's been a fair amount of inconsistency in portraying his powers, though, there have been comics in the last 25 years or so that have shown him doing things of that nature, but they are the exceptions rather than the rule.

#5 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

In the golden age years he was able to paralyze Superman by inducing fear on him using his telepathy.

However his telepathy is very inconsistent because writers are dumb. But he's been seen in relatively recent comics communicating telepathically and fighting Despero telepathically toe to toe.

As far as control goes, he can control any creature under the sea. Since all life evolved from marine life-forms, he can affect the part of the brain that is still similar to that of marine life-forms and use it to induce paralysis, pain, black-outs, etc.

I don't know how it is now in the DCnU.

#6 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman doesn't read minds in the New 52. As he stated, fish and other marine life don't have the mental compatibility for communication. He mental forces his will on these creatures. It hasn't been shown yet wheather or not it will work on non-marine life in the New 52. Before the New 52 he has used it on non-marine life before. I know he had stunned a White Martian in one JLA story arc. As Lion_Heart22 said, he was accessing a part of the brain that was shared with Marine life brains.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.