Aquaman Sales Surprise

Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

I was looking over the New 52 sales thus far and discovered an interesting tidbit...

Based purely on reader-retention, Aquaman is actually the most successful of the New 52, having lost only 17% of its initial readership. It is followed closely by The Dark Knight (21%), Nightwing (23%), Batman and Robin (25%), Detective Comics (25%), and Batman (27%).

This is pretty cool news for all the Aquaman fans out there :)

#1 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

wow. amazing.

#2 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

This just proves that any character with the right team can be sucessfull. Way to go Aquaman!

#3 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8665 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: One thing to say: Aquaman rocks

#4 Posted by Lvenger (19321 posts) - - Show Bio

Oops I'm responsible for part of the 25% loss in initial readership of Batman and Robin lol. Anyway this is great news for Aquaman!

Online
#5 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12974 posts) - - Show Bio

Fu

#6 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the news would be well-received :)

If anyone's curious, the worst (ongoing) series is The Savage Hawkman, having lost 62% of it's readers.

#7 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

It's about time that Aquaman gets some due respect!

Also, how did I know that all the other books after that would be Bat books?

#8 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

@jakob187 said:

Also, how did I know that all the other books after that would be Bat books?

Indeed. It's good to know he's up there with the greats :)

#9 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7737 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman deserves this. He is a damn good character when he has damn good writers on the job.

#10 Posted by The Stegman (23969 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by dvader (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised that Batman lost so many readers. I thought Batman New 52 series was critically acclaimed? Are they already going downhill?

#12 Posted by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio

hot damn!!!

#13 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

@dvader: Every DC series is declining in sales still. I'm sure they'll eventually level out, but it hasn't happened yet. Batman #2 sold around 178k and Batman #10 was down to 130k.

#14 Posted by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and Batman and Robin FTW! (Not sure how it's possible that The Dark Knight has maintained its initial readers better than Batman and Robin....)

#15 Posted by TheThe (1730 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

This just proves that any character with the right team can be sucessfull. Way to go Aquaman!

This.

#16 Posted by X9 (757 posts) - - Show Bio

That's good to know, though it doesn't surprise me.

I've been hearing great critics about his issues :)

#17 Edited by IIDEADxPOOLII (1414 posts) - - Show Bio

I cry tears of joy.... Aquaman has always been one of my favorite superheroes now he's getting the respect he always deserved.

#18 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@dvader said:

I'm surprised that Batman lost so many readers. I thought Batman New 52 series was critically acclaimed? Are they already going downhill?

I have a feeling many of the new readers for the New 52 may have only picked up Batman or Justice League, and only the first few issues before quitting. Just because Aquaman didn't lose so many readers doesn't mean it sold great, it means it has extremely loyal fans.

By the way, how good did Aquaman sell? Wasn't it top 10, 15? Can I have the link for the sales lists?

#19 Posted by jwalser3 (4899 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

I thought the news would be well-received :)

If anyone's curious, the worst (ongoing) series is The Savage Hawkman, having lost 62% of it's readers.

I am glad. I dropped it at issue 4. Couldn't stand it, I wanted it to be good :(

#20 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Naysayers needs to get spayed

That character deserves that love after all he's been through the past years

#21 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

By the way, how good did Aquaman sell? Wasn't it top 10, 15? Can I have the link for the sales lists?

Aquaman is currently the 10th selling New 52 series.

Here's the link to the sales charts: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/1850.html

#22 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

@Danial79 said:

I thought the news would be well-received :)

If anyone's curious, the worst (ongoing) series is The Savage Hawkman, having lost 62% of it's readers.

I am glad. I dropped it at issue 4. Couldn't stand it, I wanted it to be good :(

You made it further than me. I dropped it after #2 :)

#23 Posted by polo327 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Those drop off rates are very suprising, not Aquaman retaining most of its readers, but how on earth people haven't been dropping off Detective Comics and Dark Knight.

#24 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

People do like him.

#25 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@polo327 said:

Those drop off rates are very suprising, not Aquaman retaining most of its readers, but how on earth people haven't been dropping off Detective Comics and Dark Knight.

This, XD. I have to admit that I dropped Aquaman at Issue 6, but it was because I couldn't afford to keep buying it, and too many panels without dialog.

#26 Edited by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

@jwalser3 said:

@Danial79 said:

I thought the news would be well-received :)

If anyone's curious, the worst (ongoing) series is The Savage Hawkman, having lost 62% of it's readers.

I am glad. I dropped it at issue 4. Couldn't stand it, I wanted it to be good :(

You made it further than me. I dropped it after #2 :)

Oh, so YOU were the guys who kept who kept that number from being only 16%.

#27 Posted by jwalser3 (4899 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze:Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but his new series is just boring and I can't stand reading it.

#28 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Aquaman deserves this. He is a damn good character when he has damn good writers on the job.

Moderator
#29 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

@Hatutzeraze:Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but his new series is just boring and I can't stand reading it.

Haha! No worries. I was just kidding around. Everyone's welcome to their own opinion.

#30 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze said:

Oh, so YOU were the guys who kept who kept that number from being only 16%.

If our 2 sales accounted for 46%, the series was in worse shape than I thought :P

#31 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#32 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great news.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.