Aquaman, Is He Under-Rated?

#1 Edited by DarkKnight96000 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

So how under-rated is he?

#2 Posted by smoothcriminal (5 posts) - - Show Bio

think he's overrated actually

#3 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

Very under-rated. I really liked him as a character. New aquaman.. not so much.

#4 Posted by KingLoki (390 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated! He's one of my favorite DC characters.

#5 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully the new Aquaman series after Blackest night will set the record straight.

#6 Posted by JackieEstacado (132 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not underrated he's just plain gay
#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

aquaman is one of those rare characters that are underrated but when you give them their due they still suck

#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Short answer: yes, he's underrated.

#9 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never really understood what happened to Aquaman that turned him into such a joke? Was it Superfriends? If so why didn't it happen to all the characters involved?

#10 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

no, he's underwater. underrated was a one time misprint.

#11 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: I don't think he was a joke. Just under used, probably because of lack of interest of the readers.
#12 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
@Precise said:
" @Gambler: I don't think he was a joke. Just under used, probably because of lack of interest of the readers. "
I don't know, he's the butt of alot of jokes.
#13 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" I've never really understood what happened to Aquaman that turned him into such a joke? Was it Superfriends? If so why didn't it happen to all the characters involved? "
I think its his costume design to.
#14 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @Gambler said:
" I've never really understood what happened to Aquaman that turned him into such a joke? Was it Superfriends? If so why didn't it happen to all the characters involved? "
I think its his costume design to. "
I was thinking that as well, but then even after they changed his whole look he was still somewhat of a joke and under-rated.
#15 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @Precise said:
" @Gambler: I don't think he was a joke. Just under used, probably because of lack of interest of the readers. "
I don't know, he's the butt of alot of jokes. "
That's also true. I honestly don't know why, I always liked him but compared to other DC heroes he was paired up with he did always seem weak..
#16 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

writers dont take him seriously enough. he should be tough as nails by now id think but they end up downplaying him.

and no, that blue and white " bottled water " costume design didnt help anything.

#17 Posted by MrDirector786 (43558 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's very underrated. A lot of people seem to think Aquaman is a weakling and as said above, he's the butt of a lot of jokes. I hope his status will improve soon.

#18 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel sorry for him. He's really cool

#19 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is awesome he is totally underrated because people don't read JLA or Aquaman or most DC in general

#20 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

"Watch out Aquaman, they're stronger than you!" --Batman in Crisis on Two Earths. Enough said.

#21 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8865 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is underrated. Just check out the Justice League episode where they first meet him and he cuts of his own hand with a sharp belt buckle. badass...

#22 Posted by KingOfAsh (3611 posts) - - Show Bio

He is an underrated badass who could kick your ass.

#23 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17516 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingofash: ...you realize this thread is almost 4 years old right?

#24 Edited by KingOfAsh (3611 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: If I made a new thread, someone would have told me a thread like this already exists

#25 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17516 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: If I made a new thread, someone would have told me a thread like this already exists

I'm just saying. Those scans didn't exist when this post was made. I think the general opinion of him (at least among viners) has risen substantially because of his New 52 book.

At least I find the people hating on him seem to be fewer and far between =)

#26 Posted by muhabba (299 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was after the Superfriends where he became a joke, probably after Crisis on Infinate Earths because before that it was believable to come from Atlantis and talk with dolphins and ride giant seahorses. He really is just a glaring example of the silliness of the Silver Age.

#27 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6338 posts) - - Show Bio

Super underrated.

#28 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably the most underrated of all mainstream superheroes.

#29 Posted by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

He's completely underrated!! Read Geoff John's Aquaman from the new 52, it deals with this question in a very interesting way (Aquaman is completely aware that he's considered lame by the general public. However he's awesome! Check out Injustice: Gods among us if you want to see how awesome he is!

#30 Posted by Farkam (4889 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by swordmasterD (2195 posts) - - Show Bio

I admit I used to make Aquaman jokes A LOT but i did realise how bad-@ss he was (and the extent of his powers) I used to think ALL he could do was breathe underwater and talk to fishes. In other words these people use the aqua man joke without getting to know his character

#32 Posted by Aquaneto (161 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.