Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4625 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Aquaman in the 90s

Dreamcast89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dreamcast89

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding Aquaman in the 90s. I just started to collect comics and acquired most of Aquaman Volume 5 as my first set. Most of the discussion for Aquaman I see concerns the New 52 series. How do fans feel about the older renditions of Aquaman? Peter David was responsible for most of Aquaman in the 90s and from what I can tell he is well respected. I assume most if not all comics from the 90s are worthless because of the mass speculating.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DanialCarroll

You're right, the monetary value of all comics post-90s is practically nil. As for whether Aquaman was any good as a series, I've heard many people say Peter David's run was one of the best. I personally can't stand the hook hand, so that automatically rules this his series out for me :)

TheGraySon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheGraySon

ehhhh its alright.. Love the character but some of the arcs are just so hard to get through. Its worth a read if youre a fan of Aquaman though.

Dreamcast89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dreamcast89

You're gonna make Peter David's head explode. It was a harpoon not a hook.

TheGraySon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGraySon

@Dreamcast89: Lol Peter Davids run is definitely worth a read. Aquaman is pretty bad ass and there are a lot of guest stars.

Dreamcast89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dreamcast89

Yeah I'm expecting the full set of Peter David's Aquaman comics in the mail soon. I'm really looking forwarded to the Superboy appearance in Issue #4.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hatutzeraze

@Dreamcast89 said:

Yeah I'm expecting the full set of Peter David's Aquaman comics in the mail soon. I'm really looking forwarded to the Superboy appearance in Issue #4.

I love the Peter David run, although I have to admit I am missing 8 or 9 issues of the full run. That Superboy issue was most definitely a gem. You'll love it.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Grant Morrison's depiction of him in the 90's JLA title was pretty good as well. Grumpy, bearded, Neptune Aquaman really felt like he belonged in the watchtower among the 'gods'.

Dreamcast89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dreamcast89

I just read Aquaman #0. The art style is pretty unique. Dolphin is pretty damn hot I might add.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Hatutzeraze: what about ERik Larsen run?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.