Aquaman easter egg in Man of Steel

• 51 results
#1 Posted by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

According to many sites I've recently looked at the Lex corp , Wayne tech, and Supergirl easter eggs weren't the only to be shown in the film, apparently the oil rig that Clark works for as one of his jobs throughout the film has caused problems for Aquaman. The CEO of The Merrevale oil rig Jordan Wylie actually had run-ins with Aquaman due to drilling in Atlantis territory and environmental destruction. All of this possibly suggesting that Aquaman caused the oil rig to catch on fire and followed with The 2 humpback whales that are said to have been sent to check on Clark.

Does this mean Aquaman will be in Justice League, He's the first member to distantly meet Clark or be aware of him, and a possible Aquaman film is being thought of like David S Goyer suggest?

Thought this would be fun to share :)

#2 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope so! Seems kind of weird to randomly put two whales for no reason...unless it's connected to Aquaman, which would be awesome. Everything's all observations at the moment but I hope Warner Brothers' finally deciding to expand the DC Cinematic Universe.

#3 Posted by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: According to Zack Snyder his Superman will spawn everything and throwing in those elements in the movie that exact oil rig would be a possible confirmation of Aquaman who could use this opportunity to be taken serious, I'll be ticked if they say they only want to use the core 5 characters of the justice league, because at a point Aquaman had that spot over lantern like in 1mil and also the league usually has a trademark of seven.

#4 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: Yeah I love Aquaman. They should use the New 52 roster: Superman, Batman, WW, Hal Jordan, Aquaman, Cyborg, Barry Allen. And we need a badass intro. I like how they did it in JL #1 for the New 52. Aquaman comes in, and they're like "What the heck can you do?" Then he proves them wrong and the audience is like: YEAHHH

#5 Posted by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: The new 52 could work I personally liked the ending when they form the team to the media I just hope there are no poses like in avengers..

#6 Posted by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

That's awesome because once they piece the movies together. Everyone will be like WHOA!!

#7 Posted by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: Exactly what I want. Now someone needs to stop Seth Green from touching DC properties..

#8 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: The biggest problem is how to introduce Cyborg,without Darkseid's army invasion

#9 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Cyborg could just be a product of Star Labs science due to an injury. He doesn't have to be wounded by Darkseid's army to become Cyborg. Plus, I never liked the idea of Cyborg in a Justice League movie. Him being there defeat's Batman purpose of being the tech guy, recruiting members. I want the team to be: Batman, Superman, Hal Jordan, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Flash. They could add Cyborg and someone else (Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter) in the JL sequel.

#10 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4848 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is true... this is the most epic Easter egg ever. ( + )

#11 Posted by Bloxxeh (191 posts) - - Show Bio

I think DC made an epic choice by making Aquaman epic in the New 52. But, where was the Supergirl Easter egg?

#12 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by MrShway88 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the oil rig and whales is a big stretch. Easter eggs are fun to find but I honest think you are thinking too much into this.

#14 Posted by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrshway88: The oil rigs named after a company Aquaman confronts a few times in comics, The hishe clip shows that scene with Aquaman since they noticed it. I wouldn't call it a easter egg it's confirmation that he exist.

#15 Posted by Black_Claw (3008 posts) - - Show Bio

I always felt like the plot of the Justice League film should be about Ocean Master claiming war on the surface world and now Aquaman has to team up with justice league to stop him. And it should be revealed that the Atlanteans were behind some of the events from past films (like the oil rig scene from MOS).

@bloxxeh said:

I think DC made an epic choice by making Aquaman epic in the New 52. But, where was the Supergirl Easter egg?

It's in the scene where Superman is in the space ship for the first time and he sees one of the pods are empty.

#16 Posted by Dernman (15237 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw said:

I always felt like the plot of the Justice League film should be about Ocean Master claiming war on the surface world and now Aquaman has to team up with justice league to stop him. And it should be revealed that the Atlanteans were behind some of the events from past films (like the oil rig scene from MOS).

@bloxxeh said:

It's in the scene where Superman is in the space ship for the first time and he sees one of the pods are empty.

Yep if you read the prequel comic that was her pod. I don't think they should have included her in the universe. Hopefully they will keep her out of the movies.

#17 Edited by Black_Claw (3008 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@black_claw said:

@bloxxeh said:

Yep if you read the prequel comic that was her pod. I don't think they should have included her in the universe. Hopefully they will keep her out of the movies.

Why? I think she has potential.

#18 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a stretch easter egg but if its real then its AWSOME!

#19 Posted by Bloxxeh (191 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by Dernman (15237 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw said:

@dernman said:

@black_claw said:

@bloxxeh said:

Why? I think she has potential.

Because they should only focus on the main properties not the latch ons. Besides it kinda takes away from the last survivor theme not to mention it also takes away from many of the other themes with another just like him being there.

#21 Posted by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

Just saw this video and I liked it.

#22 Posted by Raw_Material (3298 posts) - - Show Bio

I also noticed the easter egg during the burning oil rig scene, most obvious were the whales that were swimming through the oil rig underwater and alongside the unconscious Clark. Maybe Aquaman sent them to see of any survivors or "men overboard", although Clark saved them all above surface, I think they were able to save Clark from sinking to the ocean depths and help his way to shore. Another easter egg was when General Swanwick had a codeword named, Trident which he used during the assault in Smallville during the ending scene of the film, which clearly depicts a Aquaman cameo sometime in Man of Steel. Hopefully.

#23 Posted by AquamanIsTheBest (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid:

I think there are no "5 Core Members". I believe that every member is a core and essential member of the league...just need to pray that DC/WB sees it the same way. I'd say "Make sure Johns talks some sense into them" but he obviously didn't object to Arthur being replaced in JL: War :P

#24 Edited by War Killer (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea of it being Aquaman being responsible for the oil rig's destruction in MoS, though if he were involved I doubt that he even noticed Clark. Still a cool idea though.

#25 Edited by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@aquamanisthebest: The only thing I want Johns direction in with the possibility of a cinematic Aquaman is his DCnU input. The Half human/atlantean thing could make for sympathy feeling neglected by both worlds. I honestly thing the way they did MOS would of been better for Aquaman then Superman.

#26 Edited by Raw_Material (3298 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for the "Justice League" movie and "Man Of Steel 2" to come out !!!

#27 Posted by W3BST3R (309 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@w3bst3r: People tend to do a good job with him when it comes to fan pictures. Love this Paul Walker one.

http://djray1985.deviantart.com/art/Aquaman-aka-Dweller-in-the-Depths-429678659

#29 Posted by W3BST3R (309 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: He would've been a good pick. I also like Sawyer from Lost, he'd make a great Aquaman.

#30 Edited by Superguy1591 (3480 posts) - - Show Bio

Only Aquaman Easter Egg is the "word of the day": Trident.

#31 Posted by Daiohnysis (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: that's easy: Cyborg is a Teen Titans character and has nothing to do with Justice League

#32 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: that's easy: Cyborg is a Teen Titans character and has nothing to do with Justice League

Where have you been since 2011? Cyborg is a member of JL since the begining of New 52,Thanks.

#33 Posted by reaverlation (16393 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Edited by Daiohnysis (128 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: just cuz it's canon doesn't mean it's good

Being canon means they will follow the comics,don't matter people think.

#36 Posted by viin (609 posts) - - Show Bio

The first time I saw the whales in Man of Steel i immediatly thought of Aquaman. I didnt know or catch the name of the oil rig company though and I wouldnt of made the official connection anyway. And if Thor can be pulled off in movie form so can Aquaman..it is very close to the same thing. Ancient kingdoms, brother fueds, etc.

I also didnt catch the supergirl easter egg which is pretty cool. I think if they brought Supergirl into the movies it would be kinda like the beginning of the animated movie Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.

#37 Edited by Daiohnysis (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@viin: @matchesmalone21: well if that were the case Martha Kent wud b dead and Perry White ...........well, white. And apparently the oil rigging company that he worked for is from Aquaman comics , so.....

#38 Posted by EcstasyGhost (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Other than the oil rig and whales Easter Eggs, there are actually two more Easter Eggs (or nods really) that link to Aquaman in Man of Steel. First, the general played by Harry Lennix uses "Trident" (an allusion to Aquaman's trident) as the code-name to General Zod's invasion. And secondly (this one's a bit more trickier), if you recall the flashback scene in which Clark was bullied and pushed down by a jock football player, Clark was holding a book about Plato, a Greek philosopher who first wrote about the City of Atlantis (and as we all know Aquaman is the King of Atlantis). I really hope we get an Aquaman movie down the line in DC's Cinematic Universe. He really deserves it.

#39 Edited by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstasyghost: Cool connections very distant and the writers very good if he could add things like that seems cool and hopefully thats confirmation that Aquaman will show up eventually on the big screen.

#40 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18394 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstasyghost said:

Other than the oil rig and whales Easter Eggs, there are actually two more Easter Eggs (or nods really) that link to Aquaman in Man of Steel. First, the general played by Harry Lennix uses "Trident" (an allusion to Aquaman's trident) as the code-name to General Zod's invasion. And secondly (this one's a bit more trickier), if you recall the flashback scene in which Clark was bullied and pushed down by a jock football player, Clark was holding a book about Plato, a Greek philosopher who first wrote about the City of Atlantis (and as we all know Aquaman is the King of Atlantis). I really hope we get an Aquaman movie down the line in DC's Cinematic Universe. He really deserves it.

I knew about the first one, but the 2nd one is went completely unnoticed. Awesome.

#41 Posted by MetalJimmor (1260 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstasyghost:

Didn't even make that connection. I just assumed Clark was kind of a nerd, haha.

#42 Edited by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@daiohnysis: @viin: @ecstasyghost: @fallschirmjager: @metaljimmor:

If your still interested in what's going on with AC and the movie stuff

They've been saying Aquaman will look like a surfer and have tribal tattoos :/

also

There's been several of articles today mentioning the whale scene and saying Arthur saved Clark's life.

Here's one. http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/09/did-you-catch-this-man-of-steel-easter-egg-that-totally-reveals-aquaman-for-batman-v-superman/

#43 Posted by EcstasyGhost (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid Although I've been hoping to see a true rendition of Aquaman on the big screen, I somehow think it makes more sense for Aquaman to be Hawaiian/Polynesian/Pacific Islander than for him to be a blonde white guy. I know they like clams and lobsters and whatnot in New England, but the oceans are an incredibly important part of Polynesian culture and history. I think it would be a great idea to put Aquaman in that context instead of the New Englander context.

On the other hand, this could have been completely taken out of context. Jeff Sneider (the guy who reported this) said "I was sitting behind a table of older gentlemen, one of whom was talking about working with Zack Snyder on Batman V Superman… They were talking about Aquaman, how he’s going to be this buff Hawaiian guy covered in tribal tattoos and stuff." The older gentlemen could have been talking about Jason Momoa himself instead of what Aquaman is going to look like in the film.

#44 Posted by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstasyghost: Well the theory of Atlantis was it was a empire owning land varies continents of the world I believe in Plato's account for it which might be what it's based of given the book Clark was reading. So tone wise could be anything not one certain islander look but then again some historians say we all derived from Africa and had darker traits in ancestral background but people changed over time due to being nomadic, I'd expect ancient Atlantis or after it sunk to over generations the people looking more light due to distance from the sun.

Take to account Arthur's half Atlantean though but also has a Cacuasian father which I hope they go that route. Protector of both land and sea.

Aquaman branches in appearance already by his blonde hair...

The more rumors I hear about Momoa and Aquaman the more I want them to announce he's not playing Aquaman. At first it didn't bother me I was expecting something to be said on what would be done to get him looking like the icon, but then it sounds with rumors like its suppose to be him restarring as Khal Drogo under the name Aquaman.

I'd hope Jeff misheard..

#45 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: I really do think that Snyder and Co. need to remember that MOS was not created as a starting-point the DCCU, it was just a Superman reboot that was pushed forth quickly to avoid potentially losing some of the rights of Superman to the Seigel family, therefore they shouldn't try to retcon parts of the movie to make it seem like it was. Case in point this Aquaman rumor. While the idea of Aquaman trying to save Clark's life by sending two whales after the oil rig exploded sounds good until you realize that Aquaman didn't do anything to try and save the lives of the people in the oil rig. The other idea of Aquaman pi$$ing and moaning about the damage to the Indian Ocean caused by Superman also makes Aquaman look bad because he didn't do anything to try and destroy the world engine. Just leave it alone.

In terms of how Aquaman looks, when Jason Mamoa was casted, I knew I wasn't going to get an Arthur Curry that looked like.... Arthur Curry, the only thing I ask for is for Snyder and Co. to not make him look like a barbarian or have him behave like Khal Drogo in a lazy attempt to make him badass as if that's the most important thing about the character.

#46 Posted by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo: Definitely afraid of what they might do to make him "bad***" disagree about some points though. The Oil Rig scene could of been Aquaman already saying that "I've warned you numerous times you'll drown this time." "Hey that guy looks new" Then "Whoa he's strong is he Atlantean to".

The Indian Ocean you could simply play it as something happened that prevented him from helping. Part of his kingdom going down and him needing to be their to protect his people. Cause right now were left wondering was Batman just watching saying "Oh s*** the worlds going to end and its this guys fault". What about Wonder Woman her island exist on earth, how did the world engine effect Themyscira? Or did it? If so why didn't she help? Points where their introduced could help explain why they weren't their to help.

The Surfer with tribal tattoos whose apparently Hawaiian bothers me though.. Maybe they could pull it off by having Tom being Hawaiian but I still want Amnesty Bay to be apart of Arthur's origin and being blond is a huge part of his origin I honestly don't think I've ever seen a version of Arthur Curry who wasn't blonde.

#47 Edited by youknowwhattodo (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: It's hard enough trying to write Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman on screen together, they don't need to make it harder by trying to retcon elements of MOS so that MOS can connect with the larger DCCU when it was never supposed to. The storyline of BvS should connect all of these elements together to form the DCCU.

If the idea is that Aquaman and Batman and Wonder Woman were too busy doing other things to help save the world in MOS, I think the writers would be better off not taking that path because that raises the question of why does humanity need the Justice League when the majority of its members had better things to do than to help save humanity from total destruction.

Also the idea that Aquaman tried to save Superman but not the Oil Rig workers doesn't make Aquaman look that heroic at all.

#48 Posted by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo: Think the Oil Rig scene would be a excellent chance to bring in Arthur, The World Engine a excellent chance to bring in a number of superheroes. Man of Steel was a stepping stone a big one at that reason why they threw in all those teasers. BvS will serve as the follow up where dots get to be connected.

Anways those elements show why humanity needs a Superman and why the Justice League needs one as well. It all comes from the thought of Superman spawning everything in the DCCU, including the Justice League him being the reason why it's formed.

#49 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: You do not introduce Justice League members through flashbacks in scenes that they clearly were not meant to be in. It's forced and raises more questions than it does answer them. Just because MOS had easter eggs does not mean that it was a film that was created to launch the DCCU. It was just a Superman reboot and nothing more.

After MOS, we know why humanity needs a Superman and why any superhero team would be better with him, but in BvS, it should be why humanity needs Batman, Aquaman or Wonder Woman and when it's written that in a time of great crisis, they had better things to do than deal with the problem, it really undermines the necessity of those other characters.

#50 Edited by Justthatkid (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo: Well you could play it your way, that will still leave people wondering why these soon to be introduced heroes weren't of any help, but whatever ignore that and introduce them in the future don't use something that was a worldwide threat to introduce them that makes sense instead lets introduce them currently fresh out of water if you will with Luthor and Batman who I guarantee will probably be brought in because of damage that happened to their property in MOS or it will atleast be mentioned. Not every question needs to be answered but the world engine a big thing to just not use in that way.

We know why the world needs Superman because of MOS the point could be shown why the others are needed maybe because one man can't protect everyone from the monsters and aliens from space and earth. The collateral damage was great in MOS the others could help prevent something like that from happening. Aquaman and Wonder Woman both representatives o hidden parts of the world. Batman being experienced in justice. Green Lantern handling things in a cosmic scale the world engine is just glue being a reason on why they all come together. Bringing them in because of that doesn't undermine any of them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.