Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4625 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Appreciating the n52 Aquaman

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Edited By sinestro_GL

I must admit, from the outset, I didn't include Aquaman on my list of n52 titles to read, as I wasn't sure how the writers would...handle Aquaman. But after being repeatedly advised to pick up the title, I'm so glad to say that, after eight issues, Aquaman has been amongst the best that the n52 has to offer!

No Caption Provided

But should I really have been that surprised? After all, the current title is written by Geoff Johns - the same man for bringing another also title to the n52, Green Lantern (possibly my second favourite out of the n52 - the first arc was brilliant and the second arc looks like it'll be just as good). Whilst Johns' other work on the Justice League isn't as well-received as these titles, it certainly is a fun read.

Back to Aquaman - what I like most about the title is probably how Aquaman lives in world where he is the butt of many jokes (which admittedly many of us are still guilty of) - despite helping out at Amnesty Bay performing super-human feats all-the-while - yet he keeps his head down and gets on with his life - which is more similar to our lives than you may think.

It will take a herculean effort to dispel the bad reputation that Aquaman has received over the years, but with writing like Johns', the future looks very bright for Arthur Curry, and hopefully will translate to other forms of media and once and for all remove all the bad jokes (I mean, if Batman's rep can improve so dramatically in the space of 20-odd years, Aquaman should eventually get the same treatment - that is if DC cares enough - and with writing like this, it suggests that they do).

My second blog, dedicated to you Aquaman - showing you the respect and appreciation that we don't show often enough, but you deserve.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sinestro_GL

...the lack of comments all but confirm my initial thought ^^

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I dont think it's much of a surprise that Aquaman is good, he's always been good it's just he never had much attention before, I mean he never had much of a redesign and the character is still fundamentally the same as he was pre-flashpoint, there isn't really a difference at all 

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By evilvegeta74

I've always liked the guy.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sinestro_GL

@spiderbat87: I feel so bad for leaving his titles for as long as I did...

doomsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By doomsilver

I like him alot more than other DC characters. Superboy is my favorite, but Aquaman is a close second.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hatutzeraze

@sinestro_GL said:

...the lack of comments all but confirm my initial thought ^^

To be fair, these boards aren't wildly active and your post didn't really pose a question or make any kind of controversial statement. Most people are loving the new Aquaman comic. I wouldn't assume lack of commentary on a Comic Vine blog regarding a non-controversial opinion indicates much of anything.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Skyfire

I agree, Aquaman is one of the best titles the new 52 has to offer right now. It's unfortunate he is thought of in such a bad light outside of comics.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By jinxuandi

I didn't have any feelings toward Aquaman before the reboot. But this title is my favorite of the New 52 and really sparked my interest in Aquaman's universe.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Primmaster64

Superfriends....That is too blame.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sinestro_GL

@Primmaster64 said:

Batman's reputation has improved since Adam West and Superfriends...and honestly, how many people do you think really know about Superfriends.

Of course there's the argument to say that Batman has since had more media adaptations since...but an important question is to ask, why hasn't Aquaman? I mean do DC enjoy Aquaman being ridiculed by non-readers?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Primmaster64
    @sinestro_GL: Everyone I know thinks  Aquaman is lame. Family guy and Robot Chicken aren't helping either.
    sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sinestro_GL

@Primmaster64: pffft...Family Guy doesn't really help with anything...and if I'm not mistaken, didn't DC approve of the Robot Chicken sketches?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Primmaster64

@sinestro_GL:   
    SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By SoA

the n52 got me into alot of "new " characters i read all the issue #1s to see what i would and wouldnt like . aquaman became a quick favorite , and yes johns can be a great storyteller , he got me into DC due to green lantern blackest night(leading up to and after) and ive liked the DC universe since . my only problem . he killed /destroyed captain marvel /shazam for me . everything i liked about the character and mythos is gone except for names lol. i really do not like it .but aquaman has me hooked and it is one of the better books to come from this reboot

StuckOnEuropa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StuckOnEuropa

I always liked Aquaman and I'm sure many comic fans appreciate him. I agree with SoA about Captain Marvel. Cartoon Network, "Robot Chicken", "Family Guy" and Craig Furgueson are notorious for making fun of Aquaman (Prim pretty much posted that with the videos). "Mercy Reef" was not picked up as a series and I don't see him appear much on television. I think if a good Aquaman film was brought to the big screen, people may respect the character a bit more.

ecliptor2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ecliptor2814

i didn't like aquaman at all before the new 52.....but now he is one of my monthly books. actually to be honest, other then anything Lantern related i didn't care for anything DC, now it's all i buy.

deadpool6_6_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deadpool6_6_6

@Primmaster64 said:

@sinestro_GL: Everyone I know thinks Aquaman is lame. Family guy and Robot Chicken aren't helping either.

lol i hear that.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sinestro_GL

@ecliptor2814 said:

i didn't like aquaman at all before the new 52.....but now he is one of my monthly books. actually to be honest, other then anything Lantern related i didn't care for anything DC, now it's all i buy.

I'm an Aquaman fanboy now myself thanks to Geoff Johns' brilliant run! Green Lantern is also REALLY good.

I will now devote my life to defend Aquaman amongst the other metahumans! :P

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By DanialCarroll

I've been thinking about it, and I believe Geoff Johns' best move was taking Aquaman out of the water. Sure he went in briefly to stop The Trench, but for the most part he's kept him topside. I don't think many people particularly like the underwater stuff, and I don't know many people who are that interested in Atlantis, so this could be a contributing factor to his newfound popularity.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sinestro_GL

@Danial79 said:

I've been thinking about it, and I believe Geoff Johns' best move was taking Aquaman out of the water. Sure he went in briefly to stop The Trench, but for the most part he's kept him topside. I don't think many people particularly like the underwater stuff, and I don't know many people who are that interested in Atlantis, so this could be a contributing factor to his newfound popularity.

This.

I agree - especially the part about people not being interested in underwater adventures. Keeping him on land, and occasionally going into the ocean has been a master-stroke so far.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By DanialCarroll

@sinestro_GL said:

@Danial79 said:

This.

I agree - especially the part about people not being interested in underwater adventures. Keeping him on land, and occasionally going into the ocean has been a master-stroke so far.

I think having him swim around in the oceans all day talking to fish (Yes, he did do that. See below.) just made him too unrelateable.

No Caption Provided
    Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hatutzeraze

@Primmaster64 said:

Maybe, but there is a flip side to that coin. Superfriends is actually the origin of my interest in Aquaman. That cartoon didn't make me think he was lame, but quite the opposite.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sinestro_GL

@Hatutzeraze said:

@Primmaster64 said:

Maybe, but there is a flip side to that coin. Superfriends is actually the origin of my interest in Aquaman. That cartoon didn't make me think he was lame, but quite the opposite.

I try not to use Superfriends as an excuse. Most people I talk to today have never heard of Superfriends. In addition to this, other characters also suffered as a result of that cartoon show - in Batman's case, he also had the Adam West show (*respect*) to deal with, yet his reputation has improved dramatically since.

Comparing that to Aquaman, I'd say that since the days of Superfriends, Aquaman has gone through more dramatic character changes than Batman has - in the comics. However, DC has shown little desire to promote Aquaman outside of comics. Batman has had 7 cinematic films released since 1989, and Superman has had 5...and Aquaman? Between him, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhinter, there has been 1 film released between them.

DC need to sort themselves out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.