Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

An Aquaman Movie in the works.

• 52 results
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Moomin123

Warner Brothers and DC Comics are apparently making an Aquaman movie soon. They haven't even begun script-writing yet so there isn't any idea who will don the orange scaly costume. Any ideas?

FACT OF THE DAY: The Aquaman movie will be one of the movies that follows on to the shelved JLA movie, along with the Superman Returns sequel, The Dark Knight sequel and the upcoming Green Lantern movie!

No Caption Provided

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

The closest I think we'll get to an "Aquaman" movie was already done in HBO's "Entourage". I really just think the character has been turned into a widely-known mainstream joke to ever be taken seriously outside a core comic book-loving audience. Like us.

I respect Arthur Curry and the unlimited potential the character of Aquaman has. I enjoy reading him when he's written well, and feel he should always be a member of the JLA. But the facts are facts; when you bring-up Aquaman to most people, they just think of any number of jokes spanning the last few decades about the "Superhero that talks to fish".

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

First -  Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Superman...(Two Hours Later of Naming off other Chracters)...and then (Maybe) Aquaman

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

Exactly. At this rate, a "Mr. Miracle" movie would do better than "Aquaman", just because people DON'T know who he is...

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By iLLituracy

...There's a lot of projects they could do before banking on Aquaman. Like, who actually likes Aquaman in this day and age?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Aquaman has been greenlit and shelved more times than Joan Rivers has had plastic surgery. This one will fail too.

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

"Mercy Reef" was just a watered-down "Smallville".

...See what I did there? HA!!! I kill me...

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Moomin123

You guys, the Aquaman movie is certainly going to happen, people are writing a screenplay for it and everything. All you quotes about it not happening are wrong with all due respect. The Aquaman movie is inevitable.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Moomin123 said:
    "You guys, the Aquaman movie is certainly going to happen, people are writing a screenplay for it and everything. All you quotes about it not happening are wrong with all due respect. The Aquaman movie is inevitable. "
    How do you know this? And were just guessing about the movie like you are
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Moomin123
    @War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    "You guys, the Aquaman movie is certainly going to happen, people are writing a screenplay for it and everything. All you quotes about it not happening are wrong with all due respect. The Aquaman movie is inevitable. "
    How do you know this? And were just guessing about the movie like you are "
    I'm sorry if I sound a bit grouchy but I do have proof of the Aquaman movie.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Moomin123 said:
    "@War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    "
    I understand, I'm tried and probably sound like a little mean too, but yeah, I think if there was something about Aquaman, we would have heard about it at Comic Con (Unless they did say something and I missed it)
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Moomin123
    @War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    "@War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    "
    I understand, I'm tried and probably sound like a little mean too, but yeah, I think if there was something about Aquaman, we would have heard about it at Comic Con (Unless they did say something and I missed it) "
    You haven't missed anything I don't think. The film won't probably be out until the early 2010s so I'm not surprised if you and the others haven't heard of it yet.
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By EisforExtinction

I'd rather see the Aquaman movie they made in Entourage. Vinnie Chase and Mandy Moore!

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chaos Agent

First: Superman sequel was cancelled, it ain't happening.
    Second: Leonardo Dicaprio is doing Aquaman as a producer check here

Avatar image for terranei_parker
    Terranei Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Terranei Parker

When are they going to have time for Aquaman between Green Lantern, Deadpool, and finding a replacement for Heath Ledger? So much awesome, so little time...

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Moomin123 said:
    " You guys, the Aquaman movie is certainly going to happen, people are writing a screenplay for it and everything. All you quotes about it not happening are wrong with all due respect. The Aquaman movie is inevitable. "
    Superman/Batman had a script written for it, there have been two Ant-Man scripts, and many others. Anyone can write a script. Again, this franchise has been picked up and dropped 3 or 4 times now.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17  Edited By Darkchild
    @inferiorego said:
    " Aquaman has been greenlit and shelved more times than Joan Rivers has had plastic surgery. This one will fail too. "
    I really dont want it to. I want to see it done, but DONE RIGHT!
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Terranei Parker said:
    "When are they going to have time for Aquaman between Green Lantern, Deadpool, and finding a replacement for Heath Ledger? So much awesome, so little time..."

Deadpool's Marvel
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Moomin123 said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    I'm sorry if I sound a bit grouchy but I do have proof of the Aquaman movie. "
    I understand, I'm tried and probably sound like a little mean too, but yeah, I think if there was something about Aquaman, we would have heard about it at Comic Con (Unless they did say something and I missed it) "
    You haven't missed anything I don't think. The film won't probably be out until the early 2010s so I'm not surprised if you and the others haven't heard of it yet. "
    There's no way, if this is true, it'll be out in early 2010. No movie goes from pre to post in under a year. Not even cookie cutter films like Saw, which still take a year and 3 months from pre-prod to post-prod, and trust me I know.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @inferiorego said:
    "@Moomin123 said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    You haven't missed anything I don't think. The film won't probably be out until the early 2010s so I'm not surprised if you and the others haven't heard of it yet. "
    There's no way, if this is true, it'll be out in early 2010. No movie goes from pre to post in under a year. Not even cookie cutter films like Saw, which still take a year and 3 months from pre-prod to post-prod, and trust me I know. "
    I still don't think Aquaman will even be made anytime soon or even at all, there are other characters that still need to have their movies made first (Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Superman (Again), and Martian Manhunter)
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @War Killer said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    "@Moomin123 said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    There's no way, if this is true, it'll be out in early 2010. No movie goes from pre to post in under a year. Not even cookie cutter films like Saw, which still take a year and 3 months from pre-prod to post-prod, and trust me I know. "
    I still don't think Aquaman will even be made anytime soon or even at all, there are other characters that still need to have their movies made first (Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Superman (Again), and Martian Manhunter) "
    Agreed, but I don't think it will get made because the days of comic movies bringing in the big bucks will pass soon. Trends don't last forever.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @inferiorego said:
    "@War Killer said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    "@Moomin123 said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    I still don't think Aquaman will even be made anytime soon or even at all, there are other characters that still need to have their movies made first (Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Superman (Again), and Martian Manhunter) "
    Agreed, but I don't think it will get made because the days of comic movies bringing in the big bucks will pass soon. Trends don't last forever. "
    Is it really a treand or just a way superheroes are seen now a days
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By joshmightbe

ok so wonder woman cant get a movie but aqua man can what is wrong with dc aqua man is at best a cheesey namor rip off

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Moomin123:
    just cause they got a screenplay doesnt mean theyll make the movie plastic man got a screen play 10 years ago and i havent seen that anywhere not that id want to but i made my point
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @War Killer: It's a trend. Japanese Horror remakes, buddy comedies, big 90s action films. All comic films need is one giant bomb for the trend to fizzle out.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @inferiorego said:
    "@War Killer: It's a trend. Japanese Horror remakes, buddy comedies, big 90s action films. All comic films need is one giant bomb for the trend to fizzle out. "

There have been some bad movie over the past few years, but comic films are still going strong
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By CellphoneGirl

O_O

not to spread any hate around... but i do not like aquaman... He is like the wonder twins.. Completely useless... Like is the movie going to be about him talking to the fish for 2 hours?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NightFang3

Only if its a good movie.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
    "O_Onot to spread any hate around... but i do not like aquaman... He is like the wonder twins.. Completely useless... Like is the movie going to be about him talking to the fish for 2 hours?"
    I agree, I don't like him ether
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NightFang3
    @War Killer:  Why you gotta hate!?
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By danhimself

I can't believe that the poster has exclusive information that not one person has ever heard besides him and that a movie that hasn't even got a cast yet is going to be released in 2010

The Englander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The Englander
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Moomin123
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
    "O_Onot to spread any hate around... but i do not like aquaman... He is like the wonder twins.. Completely useless... Like is the movie going to be about him talking to the fish for 2 hours?"

I'm very sure that the director and film crew would think of an interesting plot line. They could incorporate Black Manta into the movie.
    Avatar image for terranei_parker
    Terranei Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Terranei Parker
    @War Killer: My point still stands.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By cascadeking09
    @RaptorFratBoy said:
    " Exactly. At this rate, a "Mr. Miracle" movie would do better than "Aquaman", just because people DON'T know who he is... "
    everybody knows who aquaman is its just that alot of people dont like him for some reason
    SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SuperXAsh

I usually don't get involved too much in this stuff, but hey... for the hell of it... I will. 

People keep bringing up the "mainstream perception" of Aquaman as a joke... and yet... the funny thing about that perception is that it can be changed pretty damn easily. I mean think about it... before Tim Burton's Batman... the only thing/perception people (especially non-comic book readers) had of Batman before then was the frikkin' cheesey Adam West show. NOW THERE WAS A JOKE. Once Tim Burton's movie came out, that perception changed. 

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a movie about Aquaman. The only problem for him is that... well... Warner Brothers doesn't seem to (right now) respect anything that's not related to Superman or Batman... and even then that's a very questionable respect when it comes to those two characters. If it's got a good script, a good director (who respects how the character's developed since the SILVER AGE), and people who generally care about it... then there'd be hope. 

But since this is Warner Brothers we're talking about... who gave CATWOMAN and STEEL their own (incredibly BAD) movies over giving GREEN LANTERN, FLASH and WONDER WOMAN their own movies... that's a very slim (and bleak) hope...
    Wolftrait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd buy multiple tickets. :[ Really want this to happen.

Avatar image for captainamerica119
    Captainamerica119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noooo! But it's 2013 so this movie is doubtful

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I only have one word of advice for WB execs, just in case they didn't learn from the Green Lantern debacle: Keep Geoff Johns away from this. By all means, take your inspiration where you need to, but don't let this man near your movie.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By reignmaker

@justthatkid: Green Lantern was his baby too. Nah, he should stay out of it. It's documented that he was a nightmare to work with on the GL film, and his changes didn't help. Like I said though - nothing wrong with taking inspiration from his works. Comic book writing and movie directing/producing aren't the same thing. Some people can do both, many can't.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Huh? This thread got bumped after 3 years...I wouldn't give up my hopes that this would happen any time soon.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Raw_Material

That'll be pretty cool if Warner Bros. pulls this one off.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lordraiden

Looks scary. Shame about not taking the blonde hair route, as it's part of his mythology

No Caption Provided

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is from 5 years ago hahaha!! while avengers 2 is just around the corner.

DC is well behind.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The official look

No Caption Provided

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conscious Cuneiform

There are just sooo many comic book movies out there now, but Aquaman (DC Comics) should be a breath of fresh air, simply because the hero represents a general art fascination with environment mastery.

One can argue personalized rhetorical statements such as 'The best comic book films ever made were Tim Burton's "Batman" (1989) and Richard Lester's "Superman III" (1983).' That's because comic book movies are, by definition, guilty pleasures.

As long as we remember that comic book art is supposed to appeal to sensibilities about vigilantism fantasies and armchair warrior daydreams (i.e., defend the little guy), we can treat this flurry of comic book films as indulgences in youthful excitement.

Jason Momoa is rather impressive and very bold-looking (and would make an appealing Aquaman), so I hope the camera-work highlights Aquaman's sense of fair play so we don't lose touch with the "Defend the wimpy kid" anthem of comic book art.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Environmentalism: Aqua-Audience

Maybe the popularity of the Jaws films about the beach-goers being terrorized by a predatory great white shark has cast that aquatics-terror creature towards the esteemed literary level of the prophetic Moby Dick whale.

So, there seems to be some adequate social interest in aqua-environment fantasies.

Jaws (Film)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.