Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4626 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

AJ (Arthur Joseph / Junior) could work well as Aqualad?

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By csguterres

AJ / Arthur Joseph / Arthur Junior

No Caption Provided

Yes, the new Aquaman was not very popular. BUT, it was because he was stealing the spotlight from the original Aquaman.

Imagine if Arthur Joseph was reintroduced as the long lost sonof Aquaman, Arthur Junior (who was probably retconed out of existence in the New 52) - I think people would like him more.

No Caption Provided

If was de-aged just a little bit, he could work well as a sidekick / partner, using the classic Blue costume (he was seen wearing it on Batman The Brave and The Bold TV Show!) and a new codename, maybe even Aqualad ( But only if we can find some better name for Kaldur to call himself! )

Pros:

- Real family relationships could be develop since Aquaman and Mera are AJ's parents (but unfortunately DC doesn't like it very much...)

Cons:

- Lack of power diversity, he has basically the same powers as Aquaman (But that could be resolved if they give AJ a different power, like mimic the abilities of any sea animal - just as Animal Man does, but only with sea life)

- Now AJ would be stealing the spotlight from Aquaman's other sidekicks, like Garth and Kaldur.

What do you think?

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BlackWind

Pass. Kaldur should be the definitive Aqualad. YJ did exceedingly well with him when he was barely known. I want to see him go further.

Arthur Joseph, I don't care to see again.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StrangeMan

He could be cool, but Kaldur is somewhat more interesting, the fact that he's Black Manta's son makes for A TON of stories.

Still, I have a thing for Garth, and I think that he's been mentioned already in the DCnU, but I want him to be introduced properly, as Tempest or Aqualad, but I don't like that he's been so out of the spotlight for years now.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlackWind

@StrangeMan said:

He could be cool, but Kaldur is somewhat more interesting, the fact that he's Black Manta's son makes for A TON of stories.

Still, I have a thing for Garth, and I think that he's been mentioned already in the DCnU, but I want him to be introduced properly, as Tempest or Aqualad, but I don't like that he's been so out of the spotlight for years now.

If YJ continued I'd bet money once Black Manta realises Kaldur is still loyal to Arthur, Manta will explode with so much hatred a Red Lantern Ring will be summoned and Manta will accuse Arthur of stealing the love of his son.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By csguterres

@BlackWind said:

If YJ continued I'd bet money once Black Manta realises Kaldur is still loyal to Arthur, Manta will explode with so much hatred a Red Lantern Ring will be summoned and Manta will accuse Arthur of stealing the love of his son.

Except by the Red Lantern Ring part, I really think this will happen!

(Well, If YJ crossover with GLTAS maybe even the Red Lantern Ring might show up! LOL )

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BlackWind

@csguterres: I was kidding about the Red Lantern Ring part.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By csguterres

@BlackWind said:

@csguterres: I was kidding about the Red Lantern Ring part.

I know! I just played along!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@StrangeMan said:

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

no thanks.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mera, Garth, and Kaldur'ahm already have hydrokinesis. No need to try and throw it around the entire Aquafamily.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything that's just a slightly different way to use a power three others always have. Any new member needs an ability not a rehash of someone else's. Besides, wven assuming we did see Garth and Kaldur rejoin the Aquafamily, we wouldn't be seeing AJ anytime soon in a fight.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joseph can be rebooted as a barbarian character and should not be related to Aquaman. New code name for Joseph can be plain Joseph or maybe his code name can be Sword.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joseph's origin was closer to the golden age origin wherein he was a human who underwent genetic engineering so his origin is quite contemporary. Joseph being a human would make him more relatable. So Joseph gains powers from genetic engineering by his father (similar to Iron Munro origin) and Joseph's powers can be useful on both land and water and Joseph becomes friends with Aquaman. Not sure why Joseph would choose to live on the polluted oceans.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Joseph to be part of the Aquaman title, may have to reboot Joseph as an Atlantean meta with magic sword so Joseph can be the underwater version of Deathstroke.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nope, let this dude float in limbo. I want Kaldur, frankly. With blond hair and all.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard rumors long ago that there are plans for the black aqualad in the Aquaman title which was why aqualad was not used in the Teen Titans comic yet.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

AQ has been my favorite character since the early 90s.

In all the time I follow the character AJ was by far the most unnecessary and worst development to ever happen to the AQ mythos.

Basically Didio wanted some way to boost AQ sales and I believe (can't confirm that) ordered Busiek to introduce a new AQ during the One Year Later storyline that was running in the entire DC catalog. So Busiek came up with THE EXACTLY SAME ORIGIN from the Golden Age.

This "new" Aquaman was actually a FAR WEAKER VERSION of the original AQ, with a sword HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO USE (until some time later) and no connection to any of the AQ characters.

As far as stories goes, there was some potential but it all came down to this. This was not Aquaman.

Long story short, let AJ be forgotten. He more than served his purpose and really overstayed his welcome.

The only thing I suggest from that period is the two part storyline which tells the story of Aquaman and King Shark's first meeting, where you get to see the original Aquaman kick major ass, in a fantasy-epic setting, with some nice artwork.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan11: Basically this. Arthur Jospeph didn't go anywhere because people wanted Orin back. He didn't appeal to me at all. And considering Johns' fascination with the Silver Age, I doubt a lot of Aquaman villains from the 90s or 00s will be used. We'll either get old ones, or new ones, most likely.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

AJ / Arthur Joseph / Arthur Junior

No Caption Provided

Yes, the new Aquaman was not very popular. BUT, it was because he was stealing the spotlight from the original Aquaman.

Imagine if Arthur Joseph was reintroduced as the long lost sonof Aquaman, Arthur Junior (who was probably retconed out of existence in the New 52) - I think people would like him more.

No Caption Provided

If was de-aged just a little bit, he could work well as a sidekick / partner, using the classic Blue costume (he was seen wearing it on Batman The Brave and The Bold TV Show!) and a new codename, maybe even Aqualad ( But only if we can find some better name for Kaldur to call himself! )

Pros:

- Real family relationships could be develop since Aquaman and Mera are AJ's parents (but unfortunately DC doesn't like it very much...)

Cons:

- Lack of power diversity, he has basically the same powers as Aquaman (But that could be resolved if they give AJ a different power, like mimic the abilities of any sea animal - just as Animal Man does, but only with sea life)

- Now AJ would be stealing the spotlight from Aquaman's other sidekicks, like Garth and Kaldur.

What do you think?

Pass. When the relaunched that book to introduce this version of the character, I was mystified. They gave up all the awesome Sub Diego storyline stuff for that? Ugh. Screw you "one year later".

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: A revamped version that could have ties dealing to Orin as his long lost son and probally the first hero's kid to die in the DC Universe.

I'm not sure that's a story I want to read.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: And if people said that about Aquaman due to popularity in the past before 52? Not being written well in the past is a great reason for another writer to move along and try to make a interesting story out of a character, rather then replace or etc.

I meant, "a hero's kid dying" is not a story I want to read.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't want any Aqualad.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@justthatkid: We are not heartless. In fact individually we have more then you humans. We just keep them in jars.

After years of pulling them out during anal probes we have quite the collection.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.