inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

More of Aquaman's secret history is revealed! The issue starts off 6 years prior to current continuity as we find out Aquaman's father is killed and the press wants answers from Arthur. Arthur has enough and heads to the sea, only to return a year later as a member of the Others, whose job it was to collect Atlantian artifacts so they wouldn't fall into the wrong hands.

This is our first look at the actual Others team in action, and while Aquaman says earlier in the issue "they were never formally a team," they work well together as one. They're all really cool looking, minus Vostok, whose character design I find unappealing. Prisoner and The Seer stand out as the coolest designs. The Seer has what looks like traditional women's Middle-Eastern garb on, but in white and a bit stylized. She also has a cool, stylized sword as well. The Prisoner is a bit more basic, but I love the look. He has a t-shirt and pants on, with a black hood over his head and gold gauntlets and chains on his forearms. It's a pretty basic design, but it looks incredibly cool. The Operative, Ya'Wara and Others Aquaman are cool designs as well, but Seer and Prisoner really stand out for me.

I'm really enjoying the story Geoff Johns is putting together here. It's a new look at Aquaman, and I think The Others would work incredibly well as its own on-going series, as long as he was writing it. He's created a great series within a great series, it's like Inception with awesome comic book characters. The change from past to present in this book is wonderful, as well as the transitions between the two.

The Bad

This was a really quick read. I felt like it took only a few minutes to get through the issue, and with all the new information about characters and history the reader is getting, it felt like was a bit too quick. Plus, not much Black Manta in this issue.

It's a really great issue, but not my favorite of the series.

The Verdict

Aquaman does exactly what it's been doing for 8 issues, blowing minds away with how cool Aquaman can truly be given the right creative team. I love how this issue delves more into Aquaman's past and I loved the Others working together as a team. There are some great characters on this team, including Seer and Prisoner, and hoepfully we'll see a lot more of them... In the past, since Seer is pretty dead right now. Geoff Johns has been great on this book, and I'd love to see The Others as an on-going series.

On the downside, this book felt like a really quick read, and I was a bit bummed Black Manta wasn't in this issue a lot.

Overall, I love this series and I highly recommend it. Seriously, it's awesome.

revbucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By revbucky

I've been waiting for this issue. Mat's review is right on target. Can't wait for the next issue!

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Issue sounds amazing

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Bestostero

I still wished they broke up Mera and Aquaman... i really like Ya'wara or whatever, and the last page looked great.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By DarthShap

Good issue but very quick read indeed and you only learn pieces of the story and not necessarily the most interesting ones.

Can't we just get this Aquaman's back story in a Green Lantern Secret Origins kind of way?

@Bestostero said:

I still wished they broke up Mera and Aquaman... i really like Ya'wara or whatever, and the last page looked great.

Because breaking up Lois & Clark, Barry and Iris, Green Arrow and Black Canary, Hawkman and Hawkgirl/woman, Guy Gardner and Ice, Superboy and Wonder-Girl, Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown, Beast Boy and Raven etc... was not enough? Especially considering that they are all going to get back together at some point anyway?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Last issue pissed me off no end

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By yo_yo_fun

I feel like this whole series is a 'quick read' because it is freakin awesome!

Can't wait to read it!

@Bestostero said:

NO WAY!!!...but I have no doubt they'll break up to make the story more "interesting" (but IMO, would be a big mistake).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Picking this up tomorrow

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By longbowhunter

Good issue, but I agree it read too quickly. I'm willing to bet this series would be more satisfying if read in trade. Really liked Aquaman's getup while with the Others.

TheAtheist888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheAtheist888

A good issue. I liked it very much, just like the past issues of the New 52 Aquaman.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bladewolf

Great issue, I'm loving this "The Others" group and plotline. I can't wait to see what's next on the radar for Aquaman.

wesleyh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wesleyh

blank manta?

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Sobe Cin

I enjoyed the issue myself, thought it was much better than the singular issue that focused on Mera buying dog food. Prisoner and Seer both stood out for me as well, and wish that Prisoner would stick for the future, his abilties are pretty cool for such a basic designed character. Vostok reminded me of a combination of Adam Strange and Rocket Red- was slightly annoyed. The rest of the Others kind of didn't stand out.

iMarc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By iMarc

Spot-on review. Can't wait for next month!

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deadpool25mm

@TheAtheist888 said:

A good issue. I liked it very much, just like the past issues of the New 52 Aquaman.

@bladewolf said:

Great issue, I'm loving this "The Others" group and plotline. I can't wait to see what's next on the radar for Aquaman.

what they said XD

Thaxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Thaxus

Ya'wara lookin' hot lookin' so fine would like to make her mine. hehehe

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.