Is Apocalypse non-sexual?

#1 Edited by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio

What are your thoughts on this? 

The only time that I remember him having an intimate relationship with someone (male or female) was back in the ancient Egyptian times with a female whose name I can't recall right now. It is also important to note that she rejected him because he was "ugly".  Well, that is what she said.  I guess Apocalypse gave up after that. LOL  It seems that Apocalypse doesn't have a proclivity to engage in emotion/love/intimacy. Am I correct?  Unfortunately, I didn't/don't have the luxury of having read every single Apocalypse issue. Therefore, my knowledge is undoubtedly incomplete. 

On a somewhat irrelevant note, is "non-sexual" the appropriate term to use here or is it "asexual"? I'm incapable of recognizing any difference between these two words (non-sexual and asexual).

Finally, I always wanted to know why Magneto (616) has never directly gone up against Apocalypse (616). Is there a reason for this? Are the comic book writers afraid of seeing Magneto getting defeated or is it something else? 

#2 Edited by PumpkinBomb (493 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:

"On a somewhat irrelevant note, is "non-sexual" the appropriate term to use here or is it "asexual"? I'm incapable of recognizing any difference between these two words (non-sexual and asexual). "

G-rated movies are non-sexual. 
People who don't feel sexual attraction are asexual. (They're non-sexual too, but only by dint of being asexual, if you get what I mean.)
#3 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18853 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure he's had his thoughts about a few mummies in his day :P jk, but really good question, i've never thought about this before.

#4 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

He wears a cod piece so I'm sure he has a penis of some sort

#5 Edited by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:

" He wears a cod piece so I'm sure he has a penis of some sort "

LOL He certainly feels the need to protect it:

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:

" I'm sure he's had his thoughts about a few mummies in his day :P jk, but really good question, i've never thought about this before. "

LOL Sounds ... dusty.  ; )

@PumpkinBomb said:

" @G-rated movies are non-sexual. People who don't feel sexual attraction are asexual. (They're non-sexual too, but only by dint of being asexual, if you get what I mean.) "

1. Just G-rated movies? What about PG-rated movies? 
2. Is that truly possible?
#6 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18853 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: You know it ;P lmfao
#7 Edited by PumpkinBomb (493 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:

"2. Is that possible though? (To not feel any sexual attraction at all?)   Sorry for digressing. "

http://www.asexuality.org/en/
#8 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@PumpkinBomb said:
" @Edamame said:

"2. Is that possible though? (To not feel any sexual attraction at all?)   Sorry for digressing. "

http://www.asexuality.org/en/ "
Thanks.  ; )
#9 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

Dont remind me of that, i'm not ugly how can you call this face ugly? 

and what kinda women wouldent wnat a man with big arms like those?!

#10 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@Theworldbreaker: LOL Well, back in ancient Egypt, there was that one girl who rejected Apocalypse because he was "ugly".
#11 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

He reproduces asexually. So yes.

#12 Posted by RLAAMJR (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

Apocalypse is male

Age of Apocalypse

Uncanny X-Force #1

#13 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2315 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe Apocalypse and miss sinister will hook up when he hits puberty XP jk 
I think he's just too obsessed with his mission to allow himself to vulnerable like that. I'm sure he has the desires but refuses to indulge or sees them as a weakness that he feels he has evolved past.

#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@RLAAMJR: The question wasn't if he was male or female.
#15 Edited by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:

" He reproduces asexually. So yes. "

Really?

@InnerVenom123 said:

" @RLAAMJR: The question wasn't if he was male or female. "

LMAO!

@InnerVenom123 said:

" Nah. He's totally gay. Totally. "

He never got too close to men either, according to my readings. Did I miss something?  lol

@EnSabahNurX said:

" maybe Apocalypse and miss sinister will hook up when he hits puberty XP jk I think he's just too obsessed with his mission to allow himself to vulnerable like that. I'm sure he has the desires but refuses to indulge or sees them as a weakness that he feels he has evolved past. "

1. LOL That would be funny. 
2. Magneto seems obsessed with his "mission" as well, but he manages to keep that balance.
#16 Posted by theiconic (924 posts) - - Show Bio

hes focus on bigger issues

#17 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
"Really? LOL "
Yes. In the past, he has been depicted as psionically possessing another's body in order to continue living. We know he is obviously not in his original body currently. He's never had any children in 616, and he's always focused on bettering/altering living beings, not creating his own offspring, or even using females to generate new life. It seems likely that Apocalypse would consider himself beyond the point of sexual attraction. He would deem it a weakness, and probably views the process of human procreation solely as a source of potential mutants.
#18 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg: Did you mean to say that he reproduces himself asexually?
#19 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" @Korg: Did you mean to say that he reproduces himself asexually? "
That is what asexual reproduction means.
#20 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

He possesses other beings, takes over their bodies & becomes reborn.  That was why the Askani cloned Cable; to dupe Apocalypse with an inferior clone & thereby saving Cable from being possessed by Cable.  It was only when Apoclypse tried to inhabit Stryfe's body that he discovered that Stryfe was the clone & therefore inferior/not worthy of becoming Apocalypse.  It's also why Cyclops became a moody-assed b@st@rd after Jean & Cable liberated him from Apocalypse's spirit. 

I'm pretty sure that Apocalypse has possessed female bodies before. 

But that isn't his sexual drive.  That's just a means of immortality.  By finding genetically superior bodies, taking possession of them & forcing them to become the traditional Apocalypse body. 

I'm fairly sure the old Adam Pollina drawn Apocalypse mini series had a young En Sabar Nur trying to marry an Egyptian girl.  That was back before he became Apocalypse though.  If he wanted someone while big & blue, then there would be very little they could do to stop him...
#21 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

It was all those centuries of pining over and being spurned over and over again by Selene. 
Broke his heart, turned him blue, and turn him into a mad super villain. awwwwwwww  V.V

#22 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @Edamame said:
That is what asexual reproduction means. "
I see. Well, that confirms the fact that humans can't be asexual, but rather non-sexual. 
#23 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:  ....I hate you....
#24 Posted by twilightend (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I think at some point he reproduced before he started jumping from body to body. He was very much about survival of the fittest and immortality, so he would his legacy to continue on. Also it is stated that the Clan Akkaba are his genetic descendents, and the clan symbol tattoed on their bodies had asize respective to the amount of power or the blood of Apocalypse in them. 

Wikipedia -  Domination

When Apocalypse fully realized his power and defeated the Pharaoh and his army, Egypt entered a new age, one in which his children walked among them. Apocalypse forged his clan, now called Clan Akkaba, after his birthplace and those who had abandoned him and left him to die. During this time the site of Akkaba reached somewhat of a renaissance as great monuments were erected there, whether by Apocalypse, his descendants, or by the new Pharaoh, no one knows.

The clan at this point began forming customs, whether by Apocalypse's will or their own accord. They lived by the survival of the fittest creed and the members of the clan would deceive, betray and even kill their own relations merely for a chance to be deemed closest to Apocalypse . Egypt peaked and so too did the clan's influence on the world. With attacks by Alexander the Great and his Persian armies, Apocalypse and his kin fought valiantly in a battle he would never forget . This battle helped him winnow out the weak in his clan and as Egypt became nothing but a distant memory the clan's influence moved on to Ancient Rome.     

• Tattoo

Clan members are branded whether at birth or while very young. The amount of Apocalypse's blood found in the child's system or strength of the bloodline determines the size of the tattoo that one receives. This is seen in Hamilton and Chamber, who have strong doses of Apocalypse's blood, while the murdered members in the 18th century had a tiny tattoo right behind their ear. 

I don't think sexuality is a notion for the Big Blue, it is the idea of having progeny waging wars in his name.    

#25 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @Edamame said:
Okay, but is he also non-sexual? In other words, does he have any attraction to any particular sex? I would assume not, but I am not entirely sure because I haven't read every book that involves Apocalypse.

@xerox-kitty said:
" He possesses other beings, takes over their bodies & becomes reborn.  That was why the Askani cloned Cable; to dupe Apocalypse with an inferior clone & thereby saving Cable from being possessed by Cable.  It was only when Apoclypse tried to inhabit Stryfe's body that he discovered that Stryfe was the clone & therefore inferior/not worthy of becoming Apocalypse.  It's also why Cyclops became a moody-assed b@st@rd after Jean & Cable liberated him from Apocalypse's spirit.  I'm pretty sure that Apocalypse has possessed female bodies before.  But that isn't his sexual drive.  That's just a means of immortality.  By finding genetically superior bodies, taking possession of them & forcing them to become the traditional Apocalypse body.  I'm fairly sure the old Adam Pollina drawn Apocalypse mini series had a young En Sabar Nur trying to marry an Egyptian girl.  That was back before he became Apocalypse though.  If he wanted someone while big & blue, then there would be very little they could do to stop him... "
Okay. This makes sense, but with regards to the underlined, why did Apocalypse all of a sudden decide to use Stryfe as a host body at the end of Messiah War?
#26 Posted by thatlad (594 posts) - - Show Bio

He decided to use Stryfe as there were no other options, Archangel had managed to bring him back from the brink but by that stage in time his body was failing. Plus he deemed the clone unworthy only out of snobbery, given Stryfe nearly killed him then survival of the fittest means Stryfe may have finally won Apoc's respect. 

Given Apoc's all about evolution the surely the evolution of reproduction would be genetic reproduction? Essentially cloning but removing the unwanted genes and replacing them with stronger ones? Would this go against Apoc's aversion to clones? Don't think anyone in the 616 universe is upto that level of tech yet though

#27 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@thatlad said:
" He decided to use Stryfe as there were no other options, Archangel had managed to bring him back from the brink but by that stage in time his body was failing. Plus he deemed the clone unworthy only out of snobbery, given Stryfe nearly killed him then survival of the fittest means Stryfe may have finally won Apoc's respect.  Given Apoc's all about evolution the surely the evolution of reproduction would be genetic reproduction? Essentially cloning but removing the unwanted genes and replacing them with stronger ones? Would this go against Apoc's aversion to clones? Don't think anyone in the 616 universe is upto that level of tech yet though "
Well, he could have used Hope Summers as a host body. He even stated that she had a lot of power and potential. So why didn't he use her as host body?
#28 Edited by PumpkinBomb (493 posts) - - Show Bio

A @Edamame said:

" @Korg said:

" @Edamame said:
I see. Well, that confirms the fact that humans can't be asexual, but rather non-sexual.  "
The definition of asexual depends on context. If you're referring to a human (which of course cannot reproduce asexually), asexual means lacking sexual interest. 
Non-sexual is a different barrel of fish entirely and includes voluntary celibacy, like nuns.
#29 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@PumpkinBomb said:
" A @Edamame said:

" @Korg said:

" @Edamame said:
I see. Well, that confirms the fact that humans can't be asexual, but rather non-sexual.  "
The definition of asexual depends on context. If you're referring to a human (which of course cannot reproduce asexually), asexual means lacking sexual interest. Non-sexual is a different barrel of fish entirely and includes voluntary celibacy, like nuns. "
I see. So non-sexuality (with humans) is only confined to religion, while asexuality with humans is simply lack of sexual interest.  
#30 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

I seem to recall 'Pocy and Magneto duking it out at least once in the AoA storyline, but as that was merely an alternate timeline in the 616, I don't know if you'd find it incredibly helpful. Otherwise, I can't immediately recall them fighting each other directly in any conventionally accepted 616 storyline.

#31 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadow_Thief said:
" I seem to recall 'Pocy and Magneto duking it out at least once in the AoA storyline, but as that was merely an alternate timeline in the 616, I don't know if you'd find it incredibly helpful. Otherwise, I can't immediately recall them fighting each other directly in any conventionally accepted 616 storyline. "
Three times.  ; )
 Once in the beginning of the first volume, where Magneto damaged Apocalypse's ship, the second time at the X-Mansion and the third and final time for the kill (for Apocalypse that is. LOL). 
The only time that they met was in The Twelve and one other time. I forgot when/where.  It was an old comic. 
#32 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw Apocalypse kissing Santy Claus! (:

#33 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in the day, probably, but I think now a days he's above that sort of thing

#34 Posted by thatlad (594 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: He was going to use Hope but he owed a debt to Archangel for saving his life, Warren demanded Hope in repayment of said debt. 
#35 Posted by darth_fletcher (262 posts) - - Show Bio

in age of apocalypse holocaust was often refered to as 'the blood spawn' of apocalypse so at least in one timeline hes probably had some pie !!!

#36 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (1037 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" Dear fellow Comicvine members,   What are your thoughts on this?   I mean, the only time that I remember him having an intimate relationship with someone (male or female) was back in the ancient Egyptian times with a female whose name I can't recall right now. It is also important to note that she rejected him because he was "ugly".  Well, that is what she said.  I guess Apocalypse gave up after that. LOL  It seems that Apocalypse doesn't have a proclivity to engage in emotion/love/intimacy. Am I correct?  Unfortunately, I didn't/don't have the luxury of having read every single Apocalypse issue. Therefore, my knowledge is undoubtedly incomplete.   On a somewhat irrelevant note, is "non-sexual" the appropriate term to use here or is it "asexual"? I'm incapable of recognizing any difference between these two words (non-sexual and asexual).   Thank you.  Sincerely, Edamame "
Um he has many descendants, after he got rejected he went on many conquests. Now he probably doesn't fall in love with mortals only insanely powerful beings with similar goals ala Thanos. He sees everyone as inferior and insignificant so I guess he is asexual now. But he still has had many descendants and as he was worshipped ala Zeus thus he probably had many mates, thus his many offspring.

#37 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@Metatron_Da_Don: Correct.
I was referring to Apocalypse right now. Not in the past. 
#38 Posted by rayn1984 (187 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be funny if Apocalypse will end up as a homosexual muntant.

#39 Posted by people_suck (1 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm new to this so this is my first post.  has anyone heard of the Clan Akkaba.  They are the descendants of Apocalypse indicating that he was sexual at one point in his life.

#40 Posted by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say after thousands of years and being burned emotionally he has learned to go through life without emotional entanglements, because for someone like him who has lived as long as he as he knows it will not last. I never really thought of him as non-sexual
and just figured every once and a while if he has an urge or desire for sex he probable satisfies the need but doesn't indulge in it. And the one thing no one can ever accused Apocalypse of is putting petty little things ahead of his long term agenda.

#41 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
@lorex said:
I  just figured every once and a while if he has an urge or desire for sex he probable satisfies the need but doesn't indulge in it.
I wonder what you mean by this. I think it is an interesting thought. 
#42 Posted by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
@lorex said:
I  just figured every once and a while if he has an urge or desire for sex he probable satisfies the need but doesn't indulge in it.
I wonder what you mean by this. I think it is an interesting thought. 
I guess what I mean is even Apocalypse might feel the biological imperative imperative to sow his oats as that say, indeed that would fit with his mantra of survival of the fittest. 
The one thing he would not do would be to get all sappy and emotional about it. In other words he might enguage in the physical act from time to time to fufill a biological need, 
but I doubt he would feel any romantic love of have an emotional attachment.
#43 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio
Interesting thoughts.

@lorex said:
In other words he might enguage in the physical act from time to time to fufill a biological need,
I wonder with whom he does this.  
Or does he simply do it .... with himself?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.