Follow

Anthony Bourdain

Person » Anthony Bourdain is credited in 8 issues.

Renowned chef, author and host of Travel Channel's "No Reservations."

Anthony Bourdain & Joel Rose Return for GET JIRO Prequel

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

GET JIRO was an amazing original graphic novel by Anthony Bourdain and Joel Rose. Looking at a possible future world where chefs are in power, we were introduce to a sushi chef by the name of Jiro. We spoke to Bourdain and Rose at SDCC in 2012. Take a note at the 4:06 mark.

The good news is they are back and doing a prequel.

No Caption Provided

Today, Vertigo, the innovative, boundary-pushing imprint of DC Entertainment, announced it will release a prequel to 2012’s GET JIRO! from renowned chef and New York Times bestselling author Anthony Bourdain (Kitchen Confidential, Medium Raw) along with co-writer Joel Rose (La Pacifica, Kill Kill Faster Faster), interior artist Alé Garza, and cover artist Dave Johnson. Reminiscent of a Yakuza action movie, the original graphic novel GET JIRO: BLOOD AND SUSHI is set in Tokyo and tells the story of how Jiro's two worlds collided as he worked for his father's mob, yet pursued his love of cooking at night to become a chef.

"Where did my ultra-violent sushi chef hero from the previous book come from? What if you were brought up in a family where murder is acceptable practice and making the best sushi on the planet is a shameful secret?” Writer Anthony Bourdain stated, “I wanted to take the story back to its beginnings--in Japan (albeit a slightly-in-the-future, dystopic Japan), and indulge my own enthusiasms for both the place and the many classic genre films that have been made there. This is fun for me."

“Tony and I wanted to revisit Jiro and go back to his origins," explained co-writer Joel Rose. "We took as our inspiration classic yakuza movies, Ichi the Killer, Battle Without Honor or Humanity, and a slew more. We were also looking for an artist with the chops to do the manga we saw as the book's style, and thus, Alé Garza. We are thrilled to be back and can’t wait for fans to pick up the book.”

"When I was approached to work on the Get Jiro! prequel I was giddy with excitement! The idea of getting to create something with Anthony Bourdain was just so overwhelming,” said artist Alé Garza. “I also knew that I'd have to push myself harder creatively. GET JIRO: BLOOD AND SUSHI, has been just that, a creative push forward for myself as an artist. I'm doing my best to create an emotionally compelling world that fits suit with the previously released book. It's really unlike any thing I've ever taken on."

GET JIRO: BLOOD AND SUSHI will hit shelves and be available for digital download on October 20, 2015. The original graphic novel will be 160 pages and available for $22.99.

If you haven't read GET JIRO, track it down and pick it up. Mark your calendar for BLOOD AND SUSHI.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ganon15

I didn't even know that Anthony Bourdain had his own forum here

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@ganon15: He wrote a great comic. So he clearly deserves one.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3 inferiorego  Staff

I'm still sad Tony got to interview Bourdain...

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This interests me. I haven't read Get Jiro either.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By KritikalMassX

I didn't know Jiro has returned. Then again, I wasn't aware of Get Jiro and knowing that Bourdain was a part of it.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

never heard of this but i love anthony bourdain.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Interesting

Avatar image for solomongrundysm
    SolomonGrundySM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still haven't read Get Jiro so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Get Jiro was pretty great

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#10 pikahyper  Moderator

the original was probably the best OGN Vertigo had put out in years so I look forward to more and that cover is awesome.

Zbrown1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice job Tony! You put the idea in their heads! Maybe they'll credit you in the book or something. haha

Very cool

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.