Should there be a Ant-Man movie?

#1 Posted by Rell127 (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Before you Answer that don't go yes because he's a original Avenger. Please give reason why he can be popular.

Secondly who will he face? Please don't go Ultron he's more of a Avenger villain.

Thirdly people who are Pryium fans do you understand why the general public doesn't know or care to know about the character?

Lastly if you notice any of you notice not even Avengers EMH made him a big success. Why is that? He has held down team books for years but can't hold down a solo series? Don't go he didn't ever have a fair shake he has back in the day but know one liked him even bacl in the 60's.

#2 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

He can be popular because he brings something different to the Marvel movies.

The rest have remarkable circumstances in their lives: Cap's a man out of time, learning to live in the modern day. Tony's a genius billionaire playboy philanthropist superhero. Banner's constantly on the run. Thor is an Asgardian.

Hank could be a guy generally working on his stuff out of a basement or university. Not on Parker level's mind you, but compared to all these other guys, pretty down in the dumps, a hard working genius who lives an otherwise normal life. Bring in his girlfriend the Wasp as a research assistant who keeps trying to bring him further out into the world, while Hank's view keeps getting smaller as he focuses on the Ant Man tech, and you've got the beginning of a character arc. Show him focusing more and more on his work and the powers, neglecting Janet, etc, and you've got conflict. Hank can be his own worst enemy.

But for a more physical confrontation, say... Let's go Microverse. Say Hank's fiddling around with the shrink tech releases the Psycho-Man, who begins effecting Hank's mind and temperament, making him more impatient and angrier. Janet tries to make him see reason as he throws himself into his work, he performs the moderately infamous backhand. Then realizes something's wrong while Janet leaves. He realizes the Psycho Man has been released, and ventures out to find him. Psycho Man nearly beats him via mob beatdown, Janet makes her debut as the Wasp, heretofore only having been hinted at her powers with tests Hank runs. Janet saves him anyway, having watched what was going on in the news and realized what happened.

Hank's finally come out into the world, and to signal it, debuts his Giant Man tech, beating the Psycho Man down. Sow the seeds of him realizing he can help humanity with his tech, and begin working on an Artificial Intelligence that he believes will change the world for the better. Which he calls the Ultron Project.

Now as for your third comment: I wouldn't know. I'm not a Hank Pym fan. My knowledge of him is border at best, mostly coming through EMH.

#3 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

Did u see d promo footage dats all i'll say

#4 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there should be an Ant-Man movie but I don't think it should feature just Ant-Man. This is the chance to introduce a number of characters together for future Avengers movies that otherwise wouldn't get solo projects. They're going ahead with Guardians of the Galaxy even though they aren't well known characters after all.

I see Hank as a scientist contracted to come up with technology for SHIELD, Janet van Dyne is his handler a SHIELD agent who believes in his work even though most others think its silly (maybe she even came up with the name Avengers Initiative for Fury). Scott Lang (a reformed burglar) is his engineering assistant, Bill Foster and Bobbi Morse his chemistry assistants (though Bobbi dreams of being a full SHIELD agent some day), and Rita DeMara as his computer design assistant.

Since the disappearance of the Red Skull HYDRA hasn't been inactive. The head of one HYDRA cell codenamed Count Nefaria has been working to create something to go up against creatures like the Hulk or Thor and they had one success with Simon Williams. However before they could examine Simon and dissect him to find out why it worked on him he defects to SHIELD and taken to Hank's lab so he can figure it out. One of Hank's assistants though is a spy for HYDRA and is leaking information. They discover that there is a spy and eyes automatically go to Scott who used to be a criminal so SHIELD shuts down all of their projects and reassigns them.

Turns out it was Rita who was working for HYDRA and they've gotten enough data from Hank's team and re-kidnapped Simon Williams so that they can reproduce the process that empowered him. SHIELD doesn't feel that HYDRA has enough data to succeed so Janet helps Hank get his own prototypes back so they can work together and infiltrate HYDRA and stop them from turning Count Nefaria into an ionic powerhouse. They dose themselves with Pym particles, outfit themselves with bio-electric stingers, wings and Hank's prototype computerized helmet (he only finished one of them) and track Rita back to HYDRA.

Using their powers, tech and skills they bust up a HYDRA base and free Simon but not before the process is complete on Count Nefaria. The three of them then have to fight Nefaria and Hank discovers the only way to cancel out Nefaria's power is with an equal amount of ionic energy so Simon sacrifices himself. It's all okay though because Hank has been working on AI programs based off mental readings of Simon, himself and the rest of his team.

#5 Posted by PowerHerc (84031 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#6 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

No.

What if I sneak Hercules into my concept, then maybe yes?

#7 Posted by JediXMan (30618 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because it would be the most boring superhero movie ever.

#8 Edited by PowerHerc (84031 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC:

As long as it's called "Ant-Man" it's doomed to failure which would tarnish any other characters included in the movie, so; No, I still wouldn't want an Ant-Man movie not even if Hercules were included.

#9 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

the site already has a page for an Ant Man movie.. so I take it it's already being made?

#10 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

@PrinceIMC:

As long as it's called "Ant-Man" it's doomed to failure which would tarnish any other characters included in the movie, so; No, I still wouldn't want an Ant-Man movie not even if Hercules were included.

I do agree that it should definitely not be called Ant-Man.

#11 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Just out of curiosity and almost completely unrelated to the topic at hand, what would your reaction be to a good Hulk movie where he fights Hercules?

#12 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe years down the road but I would much rather see other characters get movies first especially Black Panther. But, alas, looks like an Ant-man movie will happen unfortunately. Ok, he can talk to ants and he can essentially make his enemies giants: yeah that will win fights. Lame.

#13 Posted by PowerHerc (84031 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@PowerHerc: Just out of curiosity and almost completely unrelated to the topic at hand, what would your reaction be to a good Hulk movie where he fights Hercules?

As long as Hercules was treated respectfully, my reaction would be elation.

#14 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

Maybe years down the road but I would much rather see other characters get movies first especially Black Panther. But, alas, looks like an Ant-man movie will happen unfortunately. Ok, he can talk to ants and he can essentially make his enemies giants: yeah that will win fights. Lame.

That's a bit of an over simplification. Like saying: "Oh Aquaman can talk to fish and swim really fast." Hank Pym just needs a Geoff Johns kinda treatment.

#15 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not?

Ant-Man is cool.

come at me, bro.

#16 Posted by ThanoStomp (789 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really interested in an Ant-man movie. Plenty of other characters I'd prefer to see: Nova, Silver Surfer, Black Panther, Cable, Deadpool......

#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh... Another one of these hate threads. HIS NAME IS PYM, BTW. NOT PRYIUM.

#18 Edited by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

@TheSwordsman said:

That's a bit of an over simplification. Like saying: "Oh Aquaman can talk to fish and swim really fast." Hank Pym just needs a Geoff Johns kinda treatment.

Not really. Aquaman also has super strength, durability, TP, a magic weapon, etc. Ant-man talks to ants and gets smaller which makes his enemies giants relative to his now diminutive size. Both are lame powers and he is a lame character. Hank Pym is cool, his ant-man alter-ego is just lame. He needs to be Yellowjacket instead. As Yellowjacket he at least had offensive blasts and could fly.

#19 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn straight!!!

They have the guy who worked on Scott Pilgrim movie doing this. I can only hope they can capture the coolness that is Antman

#20 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

@PrinceIMC said:

@TheSwordsman said:

Not really. Aquaman also has super strength, durability, TP, a magic weapon, etc. Ant-man talks to ants and gets smaller which makes his enemies giants relative to his now diminutive size. Both are lame powers and he is a lame character. Hank Pym is cool, his ant-man alter-ego is just lame. He needs to be Yellowjacket instead. As Yellowjacket he at least had offensive blasts and could fly.

Ant-Man is a super-genius who after spending a day inside an anthill discovered a way to communicate with insects. He invents things at the drop of a hat, created a gas that once inhaled makes to immune to the effects of radiation and built a scanner to locate his first wife when she was kidnapped out of a city of thousands of people. Hank Pym is Ant-Man so they can take anything from any of his incarnations and work it into his Ant-Man guise; shrunken gadgets that would put Batman's utility belt to shame, the ability to grow and shrink (he did have growing powers while still known as Ant-Man.) When he's shrunk he still has the strength of a 6 foot tall 200 lbs. man so his opponents aren't giants they're really big targets that can't see him. They could even work his Pym Particles in offensively so he could shrink his opponents down to insect or smaller size and make it so they don't keep their strength. He gave Wasp her powers so there is no reason to believe that in an Ant-Man movie he couldn't give himself offensive blasts and the ability to fly.

#21 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@PrinceIMC said:

@TheSwordsman said:

Ant-Man is a super-genius who after spending a day inside an anthill discovered a way to communicate with insects. He invents things at the drop of a hat, created a gas that once inhaled makes to immune to the effects of radiation and built a scanner to locate his first wife when she was kidnapped out of a city of thousands of people. Hank Pym is Ant-Man so they can take anything from any of his incarnations and work it into his Ant-Man guise; shrunken gadgets that would put Batman's utility belt to shame, the ability to grow and shrink (he did have growing powers while still known as Ant-Man.) When he's shrunk he still has the strength of a 6 foot tall 200 lbs. man so his opponents aren't giants they're really big targets that can't see him. They could even work his Pym Particles in offensively so he could shrink his opponents down to insect or smaller size and make it so they don't keep their strength. He gave Wasp her powers so there is no reason to believe that in an Ant-Man movie he couldn't give himself offensive blasts and the ability to fly.

I am aware of what Pym has done Yes his enemies are still giant relative to him with much greater reach, regardless of his retention of strength. Ant-mans name and power-set are lame as is his name as is the fact that he gets to fly at the speed of a flying ant which is slower than he could run. As I stated his Yellowjacket character was a much better hero as he could fly and shoot bio-blasts. If movie ant-man had flight and bio-blasts he would be yellow-jacket for all intents and purposes.

I am not interested in some protracted, pointless, conversation where you type known facts about Ant-man while not understanding what a relative giant is while trying to make a sorry character seem cool.. If you like a lame superhero like ant-man that is your prerogative. Goodbye.

#22 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

@PrinceIMC said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@PrinceIMC said:

@TheSwordsman said:

I am aware of what Pym has done Yes his enemies are still giant relative to him with much greater reach, regardless of his retention of strength. Ant-mans name and power-set are lame as is his name as is the fact that he gets to fly at the speed of a flying ant which is slower than he could run. As I stated his Yellowjacket character was a much better hero as he could fly and shoot bio-blasts. If movie ant-man had flight and bio-blasts he would be yellow-jacket for all intents and purposes.

I am not interested in some protracted, pointless, conversation where you type known facts about Ant-man while not understanding what a relative giant is while trying to make a sorry character seem cool.. If you like a lame superhero like ant-man that is your prerogative. Goodbye.

You want to put down a character by oversimplifying and ignoring things he can do that is fine too. Goodbye.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.