Follow

Ant-Man

Movie » Ant-Man released on July 17, 2015.

A Marvel Studios film, and the first live-action adaptation of Ant-Man, starring Paul Rudd, and Michael Douglas.

Ant-Man: Comic Vine Reacts to the Teaser Trailer

• 78 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@tensor said:

The trailer failed for this movie.This will be a flop at the movies.

I don't think one lackluster teaser means it'll flop. They have plenty of time to build the hype and win over audiences... it's just a matter of seeing if they will. Given Marvel Studios' marketing history (and Disney's lesson with the handling of promoting John Carter), I think they'll do what they can to make sure general audiences want to buy a ticket when it's opening.

@thedarkpacman said:

A lot of people keep saying "trailer". It's a teaser trailer. The others were teasers of the teaser trailer. This isn't expected to do the film justice. There's nothing here but character shots and awkward, unexplained "meh" dialogue. These teasers are just to let us know that a) this movie is happening, and b) yes, we can animate shrinking. I have unfathomably high hopes for this film. I just feel like in this age, there's a lot to be done with a character who has these abilities. And a heist? Ant-Man stealing stuff? Awesome! Okay, it might not be Ant-Man doing the stealing, who knows, but basically I really think we should at least wait for the "trailer" with a peek into the plot and actual movie feel before we get bummed out. This idea has a lot of potential to be explored. If the GOTG can come out of nowhere and murder the box office, Ant-Man DEFINITELY has a chance.

Well, seeing as the article's title says "teaser trailer," I hope they're aware! I think a teaser trailer can do a film justice and Marvel Studios has been doing a pretty good job with them. Guardians of the Galaxy came out of the gate swinging. I think its first teaser trailer was 20 seconds or so longer, but it was oozing with character, fun, and huge teasers and spectacle that made me want to see this play out on the big screen. This felt very... well, basic. I think it was a missed opportunity to really hook casual fans and show them what makes Ant-Man unique, but they have plenty of time to rectify that anyway.

WhatJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By WhatJ

Douglas for Hank was a real bone headed move and what the hell is with his voice is he trying to sound epic or is it just cracking up,Wow I am feeling bad after waiting years to see my favorite Hero on the big screen and then this. Good grief

Long live Hank Pym

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wow. Tough critics. I for one really loved the trailer and it got me pumped for the movie.... No it didn't outline alot but I felt it gave me a nice taste of whats to come, it is only a teaser, and I LoL'd at the last line.

We got Pym, at least as a mentor role which I don't hate because Pym wasn't really into the superhero "thing" anyway, as an older Pym this makes sense to me. Lets face it ,Pym has so much crap going on in his history it definitely needed to be edited for moviegoers. I was upset that there was no Janet but it looks like Evangeline Lilly is filling that role, so I am happy and excited since seeing this trailer.

I must be crazy or an idiot or both because I really liked Iron Man 3 and thought Guardians was good but largely overrated.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

If the new series is any indication, it would be hard for the trailer to capture what others movies could. I am expecting more of a character driven movie and really Ant-Man's powers just aren't as impressive, so how to show them on the big screen? Regardless Ant-Man 2 is not on the MCU list of movies, so this is likely to be the only one, and Ant-Man will just show up in other movies from here on out.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Not sure if this is a fair assessment overall, one of the few things that people say about the MCU is that there is not much character development, and the one trailer that hints at a decent amount, albeit with no big action teasers, gets panned because of it. This movie is going to be big no matter what anyway. People are going to want so much more after seeing Avengers that they will flock to this no matter what.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

The trailer was okay. Wasn't epic and intense, but pretty decent enough. I pretty sure the next trailer will be better.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@blueecho said:

@k4tzm4n: Not sure if this is a fair assessment overall, one of the few things that people say about the MCU is that there is not much character development, and the one trailer that hints at a decent amount, albeit with no big action teasers, gets panned because of it. This movie is going to be big no matter what anyway. People are going to want so much more after seeing Avengers that they will flock to this no matter what.

I'm not one of those people. For example, Guardians of the Galaxy had solid character development for at least 5 individuals and offered a ton of fun at the same time. This didn't feel like a very insightful or even all that interesting look at Scott Lang as opposed to saying "here's the bare basics and here's some other stuff going on" without doing so in a particularly exciting or striking way. I know teaser trailers can't reveal too much, but they have to grab your attention and make you want more. This didn't really do that for me. As said above, I'm obviously going to see it and still remain optimistic, but I didn't view this as a good first impression.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: In your opinion it was good. Millions of others would disagree. Especially Iron Man fans.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@zoddguts said:

But Marvel has made bad films, are you forgetting Iron Man 2 and the Thor films?

WOW! These are the exact three movies that I didn't like in MCU. many people include IM3 on the "suck" list, but I liked IM3.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: The character is kind of boring though, at least compared to a lot of other heroes, and so there were unlikely to be a bunch of fireworks in the trailer. For their own reasons and in their own ways, three out of the past five Marvel movies could be said to be a perfect five out of five stars (Avengers, GotG and CA: WS) , but as this one looks like a 4 at best right now, people are condemning it. If something with this much focus and budget came out right after Iron Man (the first one) people would have been excited, but Marvel has set the standard so high that people are turning away from decent looking movies just because they are not game changers. In my own opinion, this is the one that I am looking forward to more this year, not the Avengers. This one will surprise a lot of people I think.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@blueecho said:

@k4tzm4n: The character is kind of boring though, at least compared to a lot of other heroes, and so there were unlikely to be a bunch of fireworks in the trailer. For their own reasons and in their own ways, three out of the past five Marvel movies could be said to be a perfect five out of five stars (Avengers, GotG and CA: WS) , but as this one looks like a 4 at best right now, people are condemning it. If something with this much focus and budget came out right after Iron Man (the first one) people would have been excited, but Marvel has set the standard so high that people are turning away from decent looking movies just because they are not game changers. In my own opinion, this is the one that I am looking forward to more this year, not the Avengers. This one will surprise a lot of people I think.

The thing is, I'm talking about the teaser trailer, not the film as a whole. We're critiquing how it was cut and the tone it established. It's way too early to tell whether the film will be phenomenal or just okay or somewhere in between since this is a small sample. But, when you're dealing with a "lesser-known" property -- one that a number of non-comic fans may think is lame/silly/whatever -- I think making a strong first impression is important. That doesn't require "fireworks" or action or spectacle, just personality, something I think this was lacking. Some big spectacle -- something that makes me want the big screen experience -- certainly helps, though. I'm sure they'll fix that in future promotions because the teasing of this teaser trailer and the poster were certainly creative.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope this movie takes it a different direction, not a cliché like the other marvel movies. I wouldn't mind if it was more comedy. But it sure seems like it's following the usual MCU formula.

TWS took some big risk by disbanding SHIELD, Guardians of the Galaxy was refreshing because we were traveling away form Marvel earth. I'm wondering if Ant-Man can present us with something new.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin: Yea, but even more people would agree with him. And casual fans make or break a movie, not fan boys.

Avatar image for marvel_dc_heroes_villains
    marvel_dc_heroes_villains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It felt like the trailer had been released too early. The lack of shots of the world from tiny Scott Lang's perspective suggests that a bunch of effects were unfinished. I reckon that could look amazing, but without it there was no real selling point to the trailer. A hugely missed opportunity for a film that will need really good marketing to succeed.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Wasn't a very good trailer

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not MCU fanboy but I really liked this trailer. I liked the vibe and I've got faith that paul Rudd and the rest of the cast can pull this off. It'll be a superb film and the wait is gonna be a killer.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By viin

@illmatic4177: Ok well im glad that movies like spider-man 3 and dark knight rises make the cut on successful movies along with Iron man 3.

GhostPirateX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoddguts said:

But Marvel has made bad films, are you forgetting Iron Man 2 and the Thor films?

The first Thor was pretty good. Iron Man 2 and Thor 2, however, were both pretty mediocre and forgettable, but I'd hardly call them "bad." Still, Marvel Studios has had a really good track record so far with the rest of their movies:

• Captain America 1 & 2
    • The Avengers
    • Thor
    • Iron Man 1 & 3
    • The Incredible Hulk
    • Guardians of the Galaxy

In my opinion, all of these movies range from either pretty good to great. Having a 0.800 batting average is excellent.

I think Winter Soldier, Avengers, and Guardians were good.

Thor, Iron Man, Cap, and Hulk were average.

Iron Man 3 was an atrocity.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The trailer was ok. I mean the problem is they were trying to make the trailer all seriously and gritty then home boy rode a wasp.....This type of movie needs comedy here and there so I was happy when Scott asked "Is it too late to change the name?" I'm going to see the movie because it might surprise me and ties in to the MCU. Sadly though I'm not feeling the hype I had for the other Marvel movies.....

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: It is just that this seems to be an attempt by Marvel to make a movie focused around characters first, if the trailer showed otherwise it would look kind of silly. Check out this trailer:

Loading Video...

This is just a movie about Beethoven, but if you watch the trailer starting from 1:30 it makes it look like an action movie, even if this movie is nothing but. The same would be true of Ant-Man. I am sure that there are going to be some amazing moments in the movie, but to plaster the trailer with action sequences like Hulk vs. Iron Man would do the movie a dishonor in the end.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Gracetrack

@ghostpiratex said:

I think Winter Soldier, Avengers, and Guardians were good.

Thor, Iron Man, Cap, and Hulk were average.

Iron Man 3 was an atrocity.

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure you would be in the minority with those assessments.

Generally I've found that it's people with a good amount of comic book knowledge and who have spent a lot of time reading comics with these characters in them that are typically the ones who think they were average or "atrocious." And that segment of people is actually not a lot compared to the general masses.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@blueecho said:

@k4tzm4n: It is just that this seems to be an attempt by Marvel to make a movie focused around characters first, if the trailer showed otherwise it would look kind of silly. Check out this trailer:

Loading Video...

This is just a movie about Beethoven, but if you watch the trailer starting from 1:30 it makes it look like an action movie, even if this movie is nothing but. The same would be true of Ant-Man. I am sure that there are going to be some amazing moments in the movie, but to plaster the trailer with action sequences like Hulk vs. Iron Man would do the movie a dishonor in the end.

Again, you can focus on character and grab people's attention without action. Instead, they wen't for something that's very, well, dull and generic to introduce the main cast. For me, they didn't do a good job selling me on the characters, the hero, or the world. Instead, they offered something that just seems formulaic and offered nothing memorable -- be it a great line, tension or emotion. And yeah, if you're making a comic book movie, a touch of spectacle doesn't hurt, but it's not mandatory. Greatly appreciated, but not needed. I doubt the movie will be generic and I'm hoping for the best, but I think this was not a good way to introduce the movie to general audiences. Disagreeing is perfectly fine, but there's literally nothing you could say that would make me view the teaser trailer in a different light. I've watched it several times now and I'm left feeling "meh" about the video. I'm optimistic about the movie because I do trust Marvel Studios and Paul Rudd, but this video? Not impactful or memorable IMHO.

CosmicOldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just saw the trailer, gotta say it is not grip me like others have in the past. Will it stop me from seeing it? NO Will I see it? YES.

I agree with the previous posters that regarless what people think, Marvel has done an excellent job of their movies. Some better than others, but all financially successful. I think this movie will be no exception.

I must state that regardless how this movie does, it will NOT break the Marvel name as previous posters have implied.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Well I am not as impressed by the trailer as with a lot of the other superhero movies, but when I compare it to a character driven movie, then it is a harder comparison. For instance, most dramas have fairly boring trailers, and no one criticizes them for not having exhilarating moments. Usually the only reason that dramas will be seen by enough people to get a box office office of over 100 million is by word of mouth. The trailers don't really matter except to educate the viewers.

I am not really trying to convince you to like the trailer though, just I think that the four of your were kind of harsh on it, when the expectations for this trailer should have been pretty low to begin with for an Ant-Man movie. Some of the test footage from a year back was pretty neat, but everyone should have expected this story to live or die on the characterization and the acting, not on the action. That being said, I think that where Marvel takes this from here will be interesting. Agents of SHIELD is obviously building to the Avengers AoU with its plot around the Inhumans, but now that this is out there, it might be that Marvel uses AoS, or even Agent Carter to build right into Ant-Man (seeing as Hank Pym is much older in the MCU, he might fit in with Agent Carter).

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77  Edited By LordDarkFox

The tailer is meh and the only people I know who like it are my MCU fanboy friends who love everything Marvel puts out. Hopefully the official trailer gets me more hyped.

true

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#78  Edited By GREGalicious

Looks pretty awesome and I can already tell I'll enjoy this much more than Guardians (which wasn't that great to me).

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By FearTheLiving
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Corvin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Antman = Hank, Wasp = Janet. Why could not they just stick to that? Especially in a movie which willing to introduce a character...

Anyway, after all these comics based films from the past 10 years, I came to the conclusion: comics suck in live character movies. Anime presents better any kind of comic book story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.