Follow

Anita Blake

Character » Anita Blake appears in 57 issues.

Anita Blake is an animator, legal vampire executioner and consultant to the local St. Louis police force paranormal unit. The comics are based on the book series by Laurell K. Hamilton.

Crosses: What's the deal?

amberlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By amberlove

I'm reading through The First Death and have a concern about continuity. Jean-Claude has a cross-shaped burn on his chest and Anita wears one around her neck. Yet in the interrogation scene, the suspect is wearing a charm bracelet full of crosses but Anita thinks: "The pain of the burns had made him forget everything else." The perp is in obvious pain from cross-shaped burns but it doesn't make any sense. When Anita held up her necklace, it got broken and went flying but also because this guy is wearing about six crosses around his wrist! On the next page, it looks like it's Anita's bracelet that was on the perp but his wrists aren't burned, only his face.

Is there an explanation for this? Does it have to be a consecrated cross?
    Post Edited:2007-07-23 13:42:20

darth__frodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By darth__frodo

To quote the movie, Snatch: "It was a funny angle!" lol After looking more closely at the issue, Adam isn't wearing the charm bracelet of crosses. Anita is holding her arm out right in front of his face. So that's why he doesn't have burns on his wrists. :)

Faith makes the crosses react. They do nothing if you don't believe.

What I don't get is how did Anita's cross go through the vampire's eye? He broke the chain, the cross went flying and she yelled, "Dolph!" Did Dolph catch and throw the cross or was it just coincidence that he broke the necklace and the cross went through his eye? Either way.. it was gross.

amberlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

#3  Edited By amberlove

darth__frodo says:

... Either way.. it was gross."

Bwahaha! Yes it was.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Methos

darth__frodo says:

"To quote the movie, Snatch: "It was a funny angle!" lol After looking more closely at the issue, Adam isn't wearing the charm bracelet of crosses. Anita is holding her arm out right in front of his face. So that's why he doesn't have burns on his wrists. :)Faith makes the crosses react. They do nothing if you don't believe.What I don't get is how did Anita's cross go through the vampire's eye? He broke the chain, the cross went flying and she yelled, "Dolph!" Did Dolph catch and throw the cross or was it just coincidence that he broke the necklace and the cross went through his eye? Either way.. it was gross."

good call, didn't spot that untill you said and i double checked...

yes Faith makes the crosses have effect... though for some reason the same Faith doesn't have the same effect on a non holy object...

so it isn't just a persons faith, there has to be something behind the object to help it out...

M

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Satyrquaze

I think it helps if the item is blessed first... like in 'Dogma'.

darth__frodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By darth__frodo

Yeah, I think it helps. I'm pretty sure Anita's crosses aren't blessed. They work because she believes in God.

In the newest novel, Anita makes all the guards wear crosses. One of the guards wears a little Buddah on a chain and it still worked because that was his religion. shrug So I guess as long as you believe in your own religion, holy items work. But if Anita wore a Buddah on a chain it wouldn't glow. It makes sense.

I hope that wasn't rambling. :P

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Methos

no i spotted that as well...

was wondering if the old christian Symbol of the 'fish' would work...

or would a demonic symbol repel vampires if you had faith in the devil?

hmmm.... random thoughts...

M

darth__frodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darth__frodo

lol I don't know. Those are some pretty wild thoughts.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Methos

meh, i have random thoughts from time to time :D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.