inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Buddy finds himself on a distant planet and discovers that the world of the Red and the Green reaches much farther than Earth. Buddy learns he has to take on new responsibilities that will alter his life forever.

Cully Hamner's art here is breathtaking. I love what he does with this issue. He and colorist Dave McCaig work so well with each other. Their styles really compliment one another well. It may not be the best fit for the book, but the art is some of my favorite of the week, regardless.

The scene opens up with Buddy fighting some pretty big beasts, and Hamner's art shines here. I love the design of these characters, and the details within the hands and the face. Where we really see some stand-out art is within the two-page spreads and splash pages later on where Hamner really explores the page with interesting layouts and amazing backgrounds, as Buddy floats through space.

Jeff Lemire presents some interesting ideas here, with The Bridgewalker and making the world of the Red and Green feel larger. Conceptually, it's really cool, even though it felt to foreign for this issue.

The Bad

Animal Man in space is a bit too "out there" for me. Sure, the idea that the Red is greater than just what's happening on Earth is cool, connecting more planets to it is just going too big, especially when there's so much more to handle on Earth.

Buddy has a giant list of things he has to do. I feel like Lemire is just throwing too much at the reader too quickly, which could be because this book is ending soon and Buddy is moving over to Justice League Canada. Either way, this issue felt really disjointed to the rest of the series.

A part of it may be Hamner's art, but this issue comes off as a bit goofy. The themes and tones Lemire has been setting up for two years don't mesh incredibly well with Hamner's art, which has a bit more of an animated feel to it.

The Verdict

While ANIMAL MAN is known for being a pretty "out-there" book, this was too out there for me. It's a series with a horror element attached to it, but this book felt a bit more comical, and a part of that may be because Hamner's art didn't mesh well with Lemire's writing on this issue. However, Hamner does a phenomenal job here, so don't let that last point take anything away from him. More than anything, I'm excited for the next issue, which has Buddy back to where he belongs. Overall, I mildly recommend this issue.

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

................... i dont think the book is ending i know lemire is leaving the book in march but it never said that the series was coming to a end in the solicitations

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

yea this was good read, nothing great.

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Damn, that's a low rating I've seen for AM in a while, i'll see for my self. :)

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: dam that sucks will with all the ups and downs the new52 has had this was one of the positives that came from it

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@peppeyhare: dam that sucks will with all the ups and downs the new52 has had this was one of the positives that came from it

One of the best month-to-month books from the New 52. It'll be a bummer to see this one go.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hawkguy

I really hope the drop in quality isn't because it's ending. Still looking forward to it

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JL Canada...?

DedrabbiT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DedrabbiT

Did feel a little rushed story wise but I still like the direction they are taking. Kinda sad this book is ending though. :/ Not cool.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I actually liked this issue quite a bit.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This felt a little too Deus ex Machina. Right before Buddy's biggest battle he gets a level up in power. Had this happened at another point in time, we had forgotten about it and he pulled out these new space animal tricks on Brother Blood, that would have been awesome. Still I'm going to savor every last bit of Animal Man I can before its all over. Cully Hamner kicked ass here. I'm a big fan and love it when him and Lemire can work together. Wish we would have gotten a Kid Eternity ongoing outta them.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was an ok issue, I don't really understand why the Bridgewalker would expect what he wants of Buddy. It happened a little to quickly to be believable. I really wish Albuquerque was the one to draw an issue that takes place on an alien planet, its the perfect subject matter for him. O well, at least he is drawing the next two and Lemire drawing the finale.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really enjoyed the art in this issue. It was definitely a weird and random one issue sidetrack, but will be interesting to see how it affects Buddy going forward.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

No Caption Provided

Damnit!!!!!! This book is ending?

Avatar image for averageinsanity
    AverageInsanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Animal Man is at a good place to end. So I'm happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.