Why is Animal Man written like a sad pushover?

#1 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

I totally understand that he is no Superman or Flash (even though I read somewhere that he was able to stand up to Superman one time) but how is it possible that is his last book a dozen birds literally took him down. Even non-superheroes like Daredevil and Batman could have stopped a flock of birds.

I don't expect a guy from San Diego with Animal powers to take on Kryptonians but can he at least defeat most "animals".

#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

/bump. just trying to get some opinions

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33495 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: Have ever read Animal Man before the new 52? The concept behind him is that he's not really a super hero but just a regular family man that happens to have powers

#4 Edited by SoA (4839 posts) - - Show Bio

i like animal man more than other animal based heroes like , vixen or beast boy . along with plastic man and captain marvel , animal is very underrated

#5 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

He was a national threat before, I've fallen behind on the current series so I don't know the circumstance but back when he was learning his powers originally, he was pretty weak, since this series started him over fresh, I'm assuming he's not at peak levels yet.

Moderator
#6 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally love the new Animal Man series, and don't see him as a 'sad pushover'. He's just a regular guy with animal powers who used them to fight crime for a while. In the first issue of his New 52, it even says he's not been doing the hero thing very much anymore. He's more concerned about animal rights and being a father and a husband now.

If you want a hero who is going to be able to punch down a skyscraper or who can take down a group of trained assassins, then go read Superman or one of the twenty Bat books. Animal Man isn't that type of book. It's much closer to a horror title about a guy who is trying to protect his family, and he just SO HAPPENS to also have animal powers.

#7 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Kallarkz: Have ever read Animal Man before the new 52? The concept behind him is that he's not really a super hero but just a regular family man that happens to have powers

So Animal Man was always susceptible to bird attacks? No. Have you read Animal before the new 52? Don't really recall that event occurring.

#8 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImperiousRix said:

I personally love the new Animal Man series, and don't see him as a 'sad pushover'. He's just a regular guy with animal powers who used them to fight crime for a while. In the first issue of his New 52, it even says he's not been doing the hero thing very much anymore. He's more concerned about animal rights and being a father and a husband now.

If you want a hero who is going to be able to punch down a skyscraper or who can take down a group of trained assassins, then go read Superman or one of the twenty Bat books. Animal Man isn't that type of book. It's much closer to a horror title about a guy who is trying to protect his family, and he just SO HAPPENS to also have animal powers.

I'm fairly sure in the OP i wrote that I don't expect him to be anywhere near Superman levels....just checked I did.

I'm referring to the event in his last book where birds too him out.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33495 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: If you don't like the book don't read it

#10 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Kallarkz: If you don't like the book don't read it

Lemme check where I wrote that overall I don't like this book... hold on....

If you can't stay on topic stop posting in this thread =].

#11 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz:

I wasn't trying to be snarky or jerky or anything, I was simply stating the obvious. You also mentioned you don't expect him to be as powerful as "The Flash", a guy who would often have trouble taking down a guy who throws boomerangs (not meant to be a shot at Digger, because I love him, but still)...

All I'm saying is that Animal Man isn't that type of superhero. And weren't the birds who took him down (correct me if I'm wrong, as I've yet to reach the latest issue) agents of The Rot? I assume they weren't just an angry group of pigeons who decided they weren't taking Buddy's guff. They were a malignant evil force.

If I'm not correct, then feel free to ignore what I said. My point is this, though... I think you're looking at this series all wrong. You don't seem to get that Buddy getting taken out by birds is not lame, because it fits with the theme of the book.

#12 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImperiousRix said:

@Kallarkz:

I wasn't trying to be snarky or jerky or anything, I was simply stating the obvious. You also mentioned you don't expect him to be as powerful as "The Flash", a guy who would often have trouble taking down a guy who throws boomerangs (not meant to be a shot at Digger, because I love him, but still)...

All I'm saying is that Animal Man isn't that type of superhero. And weren't the birds who took him down (correct me if I'm wrong, as I've yet to reach the latest issue) agents of The Rot? I assume they weren't just an angry group of pigeons who decided they weren't taking Buddy's guff. They were a malignant evil force.

If I'm not correct, then feel free to ignore what I said. My point is this, though... I think you're looking at this series all wrong. You don't seem to get that Buddy getting taken out by birds is not lame, because it fits with the theme of the book.

eh. I can agree with some of your points there.

Getting into a book like Animal Man has been something different for me...maybe I should avoid comparing him so much to others.

#13 Posted by Gordon Kelly (59 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy reading Animal Man series like the old stuff and the new 52 DC Comics and the relanch of Animal Man. Animal Man will meet Swamp Thing in issue #11 to fight off the rot and also will be seen in the Annual in May.

Animal Man is a awsome superhero with all the powers of every animal.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.