Follow

Animal Man

Character » Animal Man appears in 756 issues.

As a happy-go-lucky hero and devoted family man, Buddy Baker can mimic the powers of any animal on Earth and beyond. His powers come from a connection with the morphogenetic field of Earth, also known as the Life Web or the Red.

Why Animal Man???

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kallarkz

I am attempting to get into animal mans character but I find it so hard. What about animal man interests you and why do you pick up his book?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Kallarkz

What about him makes him special and what is it that he does that other heroes can't?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

The fact that he lives in a totally normal suburban life as a dad in one instance and in the other he's the guardian of a force of nature linked to all flesh.

Or something like that.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By kingjoeg

What innervenom said. Also his stories are awesome. Try going back and reading Grant Morrisons run on animal man, it was the run that established him as good comics writer.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Billy Batson

He's just cool for no reason when written right.
    Need to read Delano's run myself since it's supposedly the best one so far and I want to shake that one horrible run out of me.
    BB

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kidchipotle

@InnerVenom123 said:

The fact that he lives in a totally normal suburban life as a dad in one instance and in the other he's the guardian of a force of nature linked to all flesh.

Or something like that.

@Billy Batson said:

He's just cool for no reason when written right.
    BB

Pretty much these two reasons suffice

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By jrock85

@Kallarkz: A great creative team can do wonders for just about any character.

Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#8  Edited By Mighty Thorion

I don't read Animal Man, but he clearly has plenty of fans. Is it just the creative team or is it his powers that are equally attractive?

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Adnan

@Mighty Thorion:He has a pretty diverse powerset, but I do think it's more because he's a family man that's he so liked. Adds a dynamic to his stories that many other titles don't have.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Billy Batson

@aztek_the_lost:

Didn't I tell you who's in a pm some time ago? It was Morrison's since it's the only one that's been collected. The whole meta thing ruined it for me.
    BB

HeroMuseum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HeroMuseum

He's a somewhat normal dude as far as superheros go. His wife bosses him around, his kids misbehave, he has to make ends meet and hold everything together and do all the regular superhero stuff. I like watching him try to balance all that stuff without going nuts.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Billy Batson

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Billy Batson: I don't remember the things you say...

I thought you had a good memory :p

but while I can accept Morrison's run was somewhat off-putting if you don't like Delano's, what shred of respect I possibly (but unlikely) have left for you will be lost

...respect?
    ...respect?

Doubt it, I've liked Delano's other work (Hellblazer) so I'll probably love it.
    BB

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15  Edited By MonkeyToe

As far as Animal Man's powers go, it does give him a sense of uniqueness. Being able to mimic the abilities of any animal and also multiple animals at once gives him a wide array of powers, and I hope the creators get really creative with it in future issues. Some animals have some pretty amazing abilities when you actually start digging into it.

But on the whole, I think I really love Animal Man because of the story. The whole Rot plot is really good and even though it has already lasted through 7 issues, it just keeps me coming back for more.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@MonkeyToe said:

As far as Animal Man's powers go, it does give him a sense of uniqueness. Being able to mimic the abilities of any animal and also multiple animals at once gives him a wide array of powers, and I hope the creators get really creative with it in future issues. Some animals have some pretty amazing abilities when you actually start digging into it.

But on the whole, I think I really love Animal Man because of the story. The whole Rot plot is really good and even though it has already lasted through 7 issues, it just keeps me coming back for more.

I smell a band name!

Animal Man (or at least what I've read of him) seems grounded unlike many superheroes. I think this is mainly due to his family, just my two cents.

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By BKole

@Kallarkz: It's a mixture of a lot of elements for me really.

I really enjoyed the character and his connection to nature, which is brought about in interesting ways by his abilities, and by how they affect him and his family.

I enjoy the family dynamic, as much as any can, because, they're the stars of the book as much as Buddy is. Despite the fact Ellen had some...spotty characterisation over the years (Particularly that phase where she was randomly a lesbian...)

I love the mythology that gets built up around the character, with the Red and that in turn connects to the Green and the Waves and so on and so forth.

More importantly, I am a huge fan of the experimentation that took place in most of the title, from the Meta-Textual examinations of the character in Morrison's Run, the examination of characterisation and context from Milligan, Veitch's opening up the world of the Red and Delano's exploration of the Life Power Church, and to a lesser extent, the whole Animal Shaman thing that happened when Proser was writing it. Although that was a bit crud. I am enjoying his series currently IMMENSELY because he's finally being recognised as a fantastic character - Although that might mean I have competition in regards to the comicvine page editing...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Gambit1024

I like him because of his powerset. It's pretty different than what's out there.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Billy Batson

@BKole:

pffft like someone would take your top editor spot (fairly that is)
    BB

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By BatteredArmor

........Why not Animal Man

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By BKole

@Billy Batson: I think I have a problem....

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked Animal Man myself. I always thought his character was bland (except for the times when he broke the fourth wall) and the way he used his powers always looked so ridiculous. I mean he can harness the abilities of all animals, but he doesn't use them like they do. Birds can fly, but they don't just zip around like superman does, they flap their wings. Gazelle have amazing land-speed but they have to run on all fours to achieve it. then their are times when he is harnessing the strength of animals. He harnesses the literal strength of big animals like elephants and rhinos, but the proportionate strength of small animals like ants. Shouldn't it just be one or the other? If he gets the power of a human sized ant (proportionately stronger than humans) than when he taps into elephants it should be the strength of a human sized elephant (which wouldn't be nearly as useful)

I just plain never liked how his powers work and it irks me that he has become the figure head for all animal themed characters in DC.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.