Follow

Animal Man

Character » Animal Man appears in 756 issues.

As a happy-go-lucky hero and devoted family man, Buddy Baker can mimic the powers of any animal on Earth and beyond. His powers come from a connection with the morphogenetic field of Earth, also known as the Life Web or the Red.

Can Animal Man Shape-shift Into Animals?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kallarkz

Just trying to verify some information on his page.

Has Animal Man been seen with the ability to transform his entire body into an animal? Like a lion, wolf or bear?

Just a question that has been buzzing around in my head since I started on his series.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MetropolisKid41

No I do not believe so, his body may contort a bit to use the animal power that he gets when he taps into "The Life Web" or "The Red" but I doesn't full morph into a bear or anything. A very good series, I highly recommend it, it is mind blowing and full of creepy goodness!!!

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kallarkz

@MetropolisKid41 said:

No I do not believe so, his body may contort a bit to use the animal power that he gets when he taps into "The Life Web" or "The Red" but I doesn't full morph into a bear or anything. A very good series, I highly recommend it, it is mind blowing and full of creepy goodness!!!

Ahh Ok. Thanks.

Yeah I got all 4 issues the past Wed. and it is very good. Very different from other books I have read which is a good thing.

Like the horror aspect. I could never see them doing something like that at Marvel.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MetropolisKid41

Glad you're enjoying it, I also highly recommend Swamp Thing, you'll see a similar theme there, and it will have a crossover between the 2 books in late 2012 early 2013.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

Well the old one couldn't not sure about the current one.
    BB

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By fodigg

I wouldn't list it as a part of his power set but there have been times, such as this most recent batch of issues, where his body has been distorted or taken on animalistic characteristics.

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By BKole

@Kallarkz: The old animal man could shape shift into Animals. There were a number of times when he not only transfered his mind into the body of Animals, but particularly during the God War's Buddy was able to transform himself into a Bear, more than once, and other animals.

As Aztek said, he gave himself into the Red and transformed himself into a Griffen creature more than once. The first time was after his first proper descent into the Red when he was killed by "Uncle Dudley" and had to not only drag himself up from the Red, walking against the currents of it, but to move up through the bodies of animals by ingestion and transferral until he eventually hatched out as this mental looking cat/bat thing. The second time was a bird/bat thing.

But yeah, as his connection to the Red was explored me was able to transform and manifest a number of different animal forms in his own body. I'd call that shape shifting.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kallarkz

Thanks for the explanation above. It would Venice to see him able to do this in the future

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.