Follow

Animal Man

Character » Animal Man appears in 756 issues.

As a happy-go-lucky hero and devoted family man, Buddy Baker can mimic the powers of any animal on Earth and beyond. His powers come from a connection with the morphogenetic field of Earth, also known as the Life Web or the Red.

Animal Man Contradiction?

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Zomboid

I'm pretty new to Animal Man's character. I've only started reading Morrison's run, because I like Morrison, and wanted to read that before I picked up the new 52 series. But anyway, there's a small thing I noticed that's been bothering me in the back of my mind.

Animal Man is a vegetarian and an animal rights supporter (at least in Morrison's run), which I understand is really Morrison pushing his own belief themes, but I think it works for the character, given his nature and all. But if he's an animal rights supporter, why does he sport a leather jacket in his iconic costume?

I know it's a small detail that doesn't really matter, but has anyone else noticed this contradiction? Or possibly shed some light on it, or offer opinions?

tl;dr... Animal Man supports animal rights, but yet wears a leather jacket? Why?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

could be fake leather

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@Zomboid: It talks about it more later in the run. Don't want to give any spoilers.

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Zomboid

@Icarusflies: Ah alright, thanks for that then. I guess I should've finished the run before posting.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@Zomboid: It's Grant Morrison, the man knows what he's doing. ;)

Enjoy the rest of the run, it's a WONDERFUL read...drags a tad in places, but it gets AWESOME so don't give up on it.

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

That is an interesting point and when you get to the explanation that IcarusFlies mentioned I would like to know what it is.

As for his vegetarianism/animal rights activist being Morrison pushing his own beliefs, I think it goes beyond that. I mean one of Buddies main powers is that he can talk to animals. Not just empathize with them, or command them, but he has actually had conversations with animals before. I think vegetarianism is the only natural reaction to anyone who becomes aware that (at least in their world) that animals think as cognitively (or comparably) to humans. I mean if a cow started talking to you, and then she revealed to you that all cattle think and feel as thoroughly as she did, you probably wouldn't be able to eat that next hamburger with out thinking it over for quite awhile.

I'm not saying eating meat is wrong, but if we had conclusive proof that they thought as cognitively as us (like it has been shown in many comic universes) then maybe it would be.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By SoA

@Zomboid: its pleather lol, just kidding, you got your answer pretty much. just wanted to say enjoy animal man, its a great (if overlooked) character and after morrison's run you will love the new 52 book .

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.