MattDemers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MattDemers

The Good

This issue was a bit weird, but in a good way; the narrative is framed in a movie in which Buddy Baker starred, and will most likely affect the way Animal Man faces challenges in the coming months. It's an emotional story worthy of an actual film, with Lemire's dialog and pacing shining through.

I just find it a bit rare that we get rich narratives like this in comics, period; it's almost like we were taken completely out of Animal Man's world and plopped into a depressing noir story. After the previous arc seemed to be dragging on a bit too much, this was exactly what the book needed in order to bump it back up to the top of my New 52 list.

The Bad

While the movie set-up was inventive, I felt that it kind of fell flat when we were brough back to the "real world"; we weren't given any significance to the tonal shift of this issue, and it's likely we won't see the rammifications for another issue or two. While it has me curious, it also makes it a bit of a buzz-kill when we're brought back from this inventive side-story.

The Verdict

Jeff Lemire threw a bit of a Hail Mary pass with this issue, as it's a concept issue that might not rub everyone the right way. I have to praise him for trying, however, as it's got me curious about its significance. Could we see a more involved Cliff in the coming months? Will Buddy Baker fall into the same perils as his character, Red Thunder?

I guess time will tell.

---

Like what I have to say and want to read more? Want to yell at me about comics, the Internet and whatever else? Follow me on my Twitter or my personal Tumblr!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.