matkrenz's Animal Man #3 - The Hunt, Part Three: Totems review

Family fun on the run.

Review for Animal Man #3.

The Story: Buddy and Maxine meet the totems who gave Buddy his powers and get attacked by two of the three Hunters, while Ellen and Cliff get chased by the third one.

Thoughts: In the issue we get a bit of a retooling of Buddy's origin. The aliens were fake and were used by the Totems to give Baker his powers. I really like them from the first time we see them. They are big in stature but thanks to Foreman's art they are not natural looking, I honestly cannot properly described them, these are really abstract beings that deserved to rule in an abstract world. Also Lemire set up a very interesting conflict between Buddy and the Totems in wich they say they want to use Maxine as their avatar in an approaching war, with this we will truly see just how much Buddy will go to protect his daughter. But I do think the true horror aspect comes in with the Ellen and Cliff side of the story, they are truly the most human characters because they have no connection to the Red and all the supernatural mombo jumbo just freaks them out and they feel like they can't protect themselves and all of their allies are taken over. For some strange I am truly in love with the scenes of there regular life and them interacting with the skeleton animals, I would probably love this series if it was just that. One complaint I have is that im wondering how exactly the Hunters Three got to the Red so quickly.

The Verdict: Another very good issue that shows us the rulers of the Red and how they operate and how it will be a problem for Buddy. But the real horror aspect is on the Ellen and Cliff side. Foreman's art truly fits with the abstract scenes and how the gruesome fits in the real world. This is a buy.