crimsonavenger's Animal Man #1 - The Hunt, Part One: Warning from the Red review

A surprisingly amazing issue

When I first heard about this I knew that this title was going to be terrible as Animal Man has never been a cool character and has one of the worst superhero names out there, and his powers are nothing special either. First thing I noticed about this issue was it's art style. It didn't look like any of the other comics Had seen so far and didn't look like a DC Comic. After reading part of it, I realized I was wrong and found this to be exceptionally well written and really explored the character of Animal Man. It is also exceptionally well drawn by Travel Foreman.

Jeff Lemire really takes an interesting look at the character, making him seem more like an average Joe than a superhero. The story is that Buddy Baker who has since settled down and sort of retired from superhero life is now an actor and a family man but he decides to go back to being Animal Man and he finds his daughter is beginning to manifest strange powers of her own. This is by far the best book I've read yet and is much better than I had thought it would be. Jeff Lemire is really able to modernize Buddy and blends family drama with horror and superheroics.

Travel Foreman is an artist I am not familiar with but I was absolutely floored by some of his work in this book. If he continues like this, he could be one of DC's biggest artists in the future and the same goes for Jeff Lemire.

I originally thought this book was going to be bad but within a few pages, I was sold on this book and it is now one I plan to get it each month. I never though Animal Man could be cool but Jeff Lemire did it and reinvented a lousy hero.