Follow

Angel

Character » Angel appears in 7419 issues.

A mutant and original member of the X-Men, Warren received his angelic wings at a young age along with a unique healing factor in his blood. After being twisted into a weapon of Apocalypse, Warren became the cold and distant Archangel. In the years since then, he's gone back and forth between his two identities.

The Fate and Future of Archangel *Spoilers*

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Baddamdog

In Uncanny X-Force #18 we witness the demise of the Archangel and Warren Worthington III.

Uncanny X-Force #18
    Uncanny X-Force #18

Psylocke plunges the Life Seed into his chest, curing Warren of the Archangel but also killing him in the process. However it becomes very apparent at the end of the issue that Angel isn't as dead as first seems...

However this in-turn leads to this heart breaking moment...

Confused? Curious? Trying to make sense through the streaming tears? Notice how Warren's wings turn back into feathers? The all mighty Remender is here to dish on the fate of Angel:

Source CBR: Warren died. We knew we wanted this storyline to end with a character death, but let's face it, character deaths are just becoming flat. No matter how well they're written or what kind of emotional punch they have, we've just seen too many characters die. I wanted Warren to die, and Jody LeHeup, my old editor and a huge part of this year's success, also wanted Warren to die, but we didn't want it to be just another death. It was workshopped with the X-teams and everyone fell in love with this version of Warren's death.
    I really fell in love with the idea that Betsy says good bye to Warren and watches him die. She feels his mind dissipate from his body. She's then pulled away from his dead body with the Life Seed stuck in it. And at the very end, after you get over that emotional beat and you see her talking with Jean, here comes Warren stumbling out into the snow! Only, it's bittersweet as he has no memory, no trace of the man he was. He's an all-new being.
    Our big question now is, what is he? What is this thing that looks like Warren and has these feathery, angelic wings? It's definitely not Warren. There isn't a trace of him or Archangel left. A Celestial Life Seed is something Celestials plant on a dead planet to give new life to the entire planet. Now, we've just shoved one into Warren Worthington and it erased whatever was there, but it built something new. He's essentially a blank slate. I think that really twists the knife in Betsy's stomach more than anything else I could cook up.

So Warren has, in essence, died. Archangel's gone and we're left with this totally new, blank state. What remains to be answered is what happens next? Where does Warren go? We know he doesn't remain on X-Force or the X-Men so how will Warren begin his new life now that he is a completely new man?

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Thunderscream

So, wait, is the mind-wiped Warren "Genesis" or is that the clone of Apocalypse? I haven't picked up the issue yet but my curiosity is killing me.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By pixelized

A mind wipe doesn't see like such a big deal when the victim is standing in front of an, "Omega Level Telepath."

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By DATNIGGA

cant she just... fill him in?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Kallarkz

I think the point is they DON'T want this to be a resurrected Warren. So whatever the Celestial Seed did won't be reversible by even an Omega Level Mutant.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@Kallarkz said:

I think the point is they DON'T want this to be a resurrected Warren. So whatever the Celestial Seed did won't be reversible by even an Omega Level Mutant.

There isn't an Omega Level Mutant in question.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PrinceIMC

He's got feathers, he's got metal wings, he's got feathers again, he's got metal wings again, now he's got feathers again, he was Caucasian, then he was blue, then he was Caucasian again, then blue again and now he's Caucasian again. Okay so the erased memory part is new. I really hope this isn't just another stage and he ends up being blue with metal wings again when some writer gets lazy.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Kallarkz

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Kallarkz said:

Read the third comment and yes there is.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@PrinceIMC said:

He's got feathers, he's got metal wings, he's got feathers again, he's got metal wings again, now he's got feathers again, he was Caucasian, then he was blue, then he was Caucasian again, then blue again and now he's Caucasian again. Okay so the erased memory part is new. I really hope this isn't just another stage and he ends up being blue with metal wings again when some writer gets lazy.

His wings are metal and feathers now based on the picture so I hope it means he won't lose his wings offensive abilities that he had as archangel. I feel like the life seed fixed his 3 persona's by erasing them and fusing his two forms into one being(I wish his hair or skin was at least a new color) This twist feels like something Joss Whedon would have done(well he has done it on both Angel(3 times) and Dollhouse(a few times))

Anyway I think this concept of basically killing him and making him very much a new person is much better than killing him because storywise it leaves a lot of ways for psylocke to be tortured emotionally which helps her character development and he's a clean slate so this is a chance for him to be revamped.(hopefully only by remender)

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Kallarkz said:

Um Psylocke is now omega if you remember that image of her attacking warren with her giant psy wings in the background signifying her transformation into omega(Remender stated she is now omega)

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By TheCrowbar

I can't wait to see what happens to him!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By danhimself

@DATNIGGA said:

cant she just... fill him in?

no...it's not Warren...this isn't a simple case of amnesia...he says that the Life Seed created something....Warren is dead...we have no idea what that is but it's not Warren missing his memories

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By danhimself

just to add a little bit more to the OP

Moving to the more specific points, let's get right to the ending of Uncanny X-Force #18. While I think a lot of folks were expecting a more conventional "death" at the end of the story, there's still definitely a loss — can you clarify the status of Warren at this point? Mindwiped?

Remender: He's dead. Warren is dead. I know where he's ending up, I know what we're doing with him for the next year. Our intention right now is that Warren died. His soul died, his mind died, he died. But that Life Seed stuck in his gut regenerated something. It took the husk that was there, of Archangel, and it regenerated something else. It took that dead body and made this new body. What is the body, and who's the person inside? It's not Warren Worthington. It's not as simple as amnesia. That's a different person.

There's going to be cynics. For us, it was important not to just do, "And he died." We wanted to do something that was more of a knife in the gut, where he dies, and Betsy gets to live with him in this telepathic trance, where they get their lives together how it should have been. You think you've got some kind of closure, then you get the up moment of Warren returns — everybody is happy and excited — and he pushes Betsy aside and says, "Who are you?" Warren did die, but here's this person who looks just like him. It's even worse than him dying, in my opinion.

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By DATNIGGA

@EnSabahNurX: it was confirmed shes omega? lol wow everyone is a omega level mutant these days

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By papad1992

@DATNIGGA said:

@EnSabahNurX: it was confirmed shes omega? lol wow everyone is a omega level mutant these days

Im an Omega Level Comic Book Reader!!

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Baddamdog

@Thunderscream: Genesis is a completely different character altogether

@pixelized: I don't think telepathy would help, he's supposed to be a completely new human being

@PrinceIMC: In the latest Uncanny X-Force he has metal wings, so I think he may have both?

@DATNIGGA: She has been described as an Omega level telepath

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By redwingx

So is Warren dead? And this guy is just a clone? I dont really understand. What or who is this dude?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By ReVamp

@redwingx: I haven't read the story yet, but from this, its the same guy but he doesn't have any memories of anything at all.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@DATNIGGA said:

lol only by remender, he sees her as omega so her fixed her messed up powers to make her omega

@papad1992 said:

@DATNIGGA said:

Im an Omega Level Comic Book Reader!!

This made me smile lol

@redwingx said:

So is Warren dead? And this guy is just a clone? I dont really understand. What or who is this dude?

he is not a clone, think of it as a rebirth(in doctor who terms, a regeneration minus the memories), he's still warren just a revamped/restarted version with new feather/metal wings

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By redwingx

@EnSabahNurX: I see, thanks for explaining.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.