Follow

Andrew Robinson

Person » Andrew Robinson is credited in 361 issues.

Comic book artist and painter, known for his cover work on Starman and Hawkman, as well as being the artist on The Fifth Beatle.

In the Punch

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Roxanne Starr

I'm starting a new thread about this project. 

It will take the form of a 6-issue miniseries, written and drawn by Andrew. He has sent me the first part of the script, which I will read tomorrow and comment on in the next few days. 

Hopefully, Andrew will join us here on CV soon.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Roxanne Starr

Well, I've read the script for most of the first issue of In The Punch and it's one of those stories that "write themselves." What that means is that Andrew didn't write the story, Jim Royal did...from beyond the grave.

Narratives about actual people who walked the earth are tricky. If the protagonist is someone like Brad Pitt or Dwight D. Eisenhower, people who are interested in the possibility of learning more about Brad or Dwight will read it. If the protagonist is someone most people have never heard of but that person DID (not talked about, but actually did) something extraordinary, people would want to read the story to track the events that led up to that formidable feat. A story about a person who most people never heard of and who never did anything particularly special will only be of interest to the people who actually knew that person. It does not have mass appeal.

Long ago, Kevin Eastman, the TMNT creator, told me that for years fans had been asking him at conventions why he didn't write a comic book about all the events that led to the creation of his empire. To which his answer always was (I'm paraphrasing here), "The only people who would understand or even be interested in that minutea would be the people who appeared as characters in that comic. Even (actually especially) other comic book industry professionals would find the whole thing a crushing bore."

What are your thoughts about writing a non-fiction story about a virtually (in the old school sense) unknown person?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.