Review: American Vampire #3

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
Vampire intrigue unfolds in both roaring 20's LA and old West Colorado.

The Good

Aside from having an awesome name, Rafael Alburquerque should be noted for having some amazing art. I could see a strong Paul Pope influence to his line-work, but with a lot more consistency and clarity. His art's something of a "skinwalker" itself in that it shifts from stylization to realism with such mercurial grace. It can be "quiet" for chamber discussions and then suddenly get explosive. I'd heard mixed reactions to how King's talents had translated to comics for the first couple issues, but I was pleased to find his signature style working just as well here as it does in the novels usually gobbled up by his "constant readers." I'll compliment Snyder, too, in crafting a really intriguing character with Pearl. Like the moon she draws power from, she waxes and wanes between ferociousness and vulnerability in a way that always keep you on your toes. Oh, and I have to say I loved the whole scene with Sweet raiding the candy store.

The Bad

I think my objection is really only on a conceptual level because, while I think the execution here is top-notch, I don't think the premise and the ideas are that fresh. You've got a vampire council brokering feuds here, "old world" vampires adjusting to a new life in America as immigrants, a animalistic vampire outlaw terrorizing the old west, even some kind of "reverse vampire" preying on other vampire... and they're all concepts I've seen too many times for my liking. You can make the argument that there's nothing new under the sun, but I'd like to see some ideas that at least haven't been out in the sun as often.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

I'm a little torn on my recommendation of this title. Definitely pick it up to check out the art, and know that you're going to get some well-oiled storytelling from the writers, but understand that you're not going to be much that will surprise. Again, I wish I could see this same team in a title that just wasn't about vampires.
#1 Posted by kingfrogger666 (166 posts) - - Show Bio

wtf os this crap

#2 Edited by Duncan Idunno (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't read this title, but i'm commenting to give an XL "AMEN!" on enough with the damn vampires.  
In my opinion, vampires were DONE in the 90s - turn out the lights, the party's over - with Anne Rice and Blade(amongst other)movies and USA network cop shows,etc.,etc.. But I guess their being undead just keeps 'em coming.  
I only hope Wolfmen, Frankensteins, Mummys, and Creatures from the Black Lagoon don't end up using the same PR firm as Dracula one day.

#3 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

King <3

#4 Posted by RedGhostman (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read the first two issues and the series is DEFINITELY worth a look at. It doesn't try to play the sappy romance card or lust for blood like most vampire stories. What matters is story. And this series can play with two centuries of it. It can cover really any genre or time period in a way that most films or stories couldn't because they have to end, main character dies, or lives an immortal life, it's pretty predictable! If this series wasn't about vampires, it'd still be an interesting read. I like the character, Sweet. He's like Jesse James... only a vampire.

#5 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

This only applies to True Blood fans but doesn't the character on the cover look an awful lot like Bill?

#6 Posted by Kowalczyk (17 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nyogtha said:
" This only applies to True Blood fans but doesn't the character on the cover look an awful lot like Bill? "
Yes
#7 Posted by Branagin77 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

That's like saying "I like this peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but I wish it wasn't peanut butter and jelly.. Duhhhmmm.. I don't like when people get bored in life and it bleeds into their work. It's quite annoying, but is expected.

#8 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

3.5?
I would of given it a 4
I love this series so far

#9 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

i love this comic more and more every month.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.