Early Review: Scott Snyder & Sean Murphy's American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

With the main series running just past a year, do we really need a spin-off miniseries already? If it's by Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy then you know the answers is a heartfelt "Hell yes!"

The Good

No Caption Provided

Where should I begin? How about the opening lines?

There is a world behind the one we know. A shadow world, where monsters walk among us. Hunting from the shadows. And if you look hard enough, closely enough, you can see it.

That is the feel of American Vampire. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not really crazy about all the vampires that have crept into all our media. But what Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque have done in the main series is something different (and great) with the genre.

While the main series primarily focuses on the American Vampire (a new breed of vampire that is causing havoc among the old breed), Skinner Sweet, this series focuses on Felicia Book, seen in previous issues. If that wasn't enough, we also see more about the Vassals of the Morningstar, a group that wants to destroy all vampires.

It's pure Scott Snyder/American Vampire goodness. We have had a mix of really great art in the main series and Sean Murphy does an incredible job, joined by Dave Stewart on colors. It literally took me twice as long to read this comic because I kept going back over each panel and page. The story and art compliment each other in telling the story that continues to build up throughout the issue.

== TEASER ==

The Bad

No Caption Provided

Is this a completely great issue? For me, there were no flaws. I loved seeing New York in 1941 and seeing a story not necessarily directly involving Skinner Sweet (at least, not yet). Of course seeing more of Felicia Book and her being the badass she is was wonderful. If someone was picking this up without having read American Vampire, it might be a little harder for them to get fully invested. Sure there really isn't an excuse for people to not have read American Vampire and they could always look up her page here on Comic Vine, but that might be the case for some readers.

Despite that, there is a good amount of explanation that should allow them to know what is going on.

The Verdict

Scott Snyder + Sean Murphy + Dave Stewart + American Vampire = Success. Snyder has taken the vampire genre to a new (and better) place and teaming up with Murphy gives us the chance to see his interpretation of some of the existing characters. If you've been reading American Vampire, there's no question that you will want to and need to pick up this series. For those that haven't read AV yet (shame on you), this series is accessible but you would be better served being more familiar with this universe and the characters involved.

Survival of the Fittest shows a different part of the American Vampire world and if you haven't been reading, treat yourself to the first two trades and catch up on a wonderful series. This easily earns a 5 out of 5.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Iron Apollo
    Sounds awesome, I still need to read the first volume!
    maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By maxicere

Love the comic art!!!

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By CombatSpoon86

awesome, picking that up tomorrow along with wolverine, journey, and morning glories

Avatar image for harleyquinnhawkgirl
    harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 14

yay i cant wait to read this! awesome review! this sounds like an awesome miniseries i love snyder's writing but i wish albuquerque was working on this with him but its always good to see a different artists
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Eyz

I'll probably give this a look.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.