Follow

American Vampire: Second Cycle

Volume »

The second part of writer Scott Snyder and artist Rafael Albuquerque's modern vampire hit series.

American Vampire: Second Cycle #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

AMERICAN VAMPIRE is back!

The first thing you’ll notice is, after a quick trip back to the 1800s, the series jumps forward about eleven years since the last issue. I’ve always felt that’s been one of the bold moves on Scott Snyder’s part. He has an overall plan for the characters and could easily slow time down a little or tell more stories in the periods in between but that’s not his intentions. The pace has always been fast and action packed without feeling like it's dragging.

By jumping forward, you do get a sense of a bigger picture or a feeling that this comic book world is bigger. Of course we have some questions that we'll have to wait to be answered as we dive into new situations and status quo's for for characters like Pearl and Skinner. As we see where the characters are now, you can't help but want to see and know more. It may have been a long wait since the last issue, but it's going to feel like a long wait for the next.

Seeing Rafael Albuquerque's art immediately brings back all the memories of how great this series is. His character designs are killer and seeing some new locations is a treat. He captures the dark vibe that Snyder sets forth perfectly. This is the kind of art you either need to stop and appreciate with each panel or take a second read through to take it all in.

The Bad

AMERICAN VAMPIRE has been missed. Hopefully readers will remember the mention of the new baddie from AMERICAN VAMPIRE #34.

The Verdict

If you've been reading AMERICAN VAMPIRE, you should be overjoyed to know it's back and just as great as you hoped it would be. Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque are back with a vengeance. You've had time to get caught up and now is the time for the next chapter to begin. This is a series that has been consistent from the beginning and it's great to see the entire story moving forward, amping up our excitement even further.

fallbrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Love this series so much. Glad it's finally back with a strong return issue.

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Is this a good jumping on point?

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Akindoodle

SO EXCITED FOR THIS! Though I really hope we see way more of Felicia, Gus and the Vassals than in the first series. That way we can see more of the Firsts too! They were an awesome addition. Please Mr Snyder. At least a miniseries!

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this a good jumping on point?

I was wondering the same.

Vision2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Vision2.0

@thespideyguy:

This this issue is a great jumping on point since it retells you everything you missed in the last volume, but i would still recommend and reading it from the beginning since its such an amazing series with unexpected twists and turns!

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i just read 34 in a week. great series so had to buy this

wish i could of got all sooner

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.