the_mighty_monarch's Ame-Comi Girls Featuring... #5 - Supergirl review

My Guilty Pleasure, And More

I haven't been able to get around to reviewing the other issue of Ami-Comi Girls at the time of writing this review, but I have been reading them and quite enjoying them. Wonder Woman set things off to a decent start, despite her, even based on the premise of this series, excessively skimpy costume (that she appears to have since abandoned THANK GOD). Batgirl was a run romp through an alternate take on the Dynamic Duo, Duela Dent was part deep character work and part big scale plot development; though then Power Girl was just a dull and generic runthrough of 'Hey look at more female versions of stuff!' with so-so artwork. But there was something my brain was missing in terms of how I looked at this series. I couldn't quite tell what it meant to me, aside from 'shouldn't this technically be an Elseworld's story?' But it was this issue that made me fully see what this series is. You see, I'd stumbled upon the Ami-Comi figurines before, Robin is adorable in that sexy kind of way, and always wondered if there were actually any COMICS the figurines were based on. Deep down, I was intrigued because many of them were sexy. I still maintain Wonder Woman's costume from the first issue was too far, but this series is my guilty pleasure.

I've defended Starfire's costume as a freedom of expression, and criticized Power Girl's 'boob window' as soulless objectifying sexualization; and DEFINITELY raged against Amanda Waller's newly forced attractiveness and White Rabbit as more walking sexualization than any semblance of a character. But SOMETIMES it's nice to enjoy something sexy. The key to Ame-Comi working is two things. The first is that this series is completely comfortable in its role as a sexy superhero book. It's free to be flirtatious and liberated. The panty shots and short skirts don't feel forced, they smoothly flow with the story and characters. But this is something that can still easily fail if not for the second factor, and that is tact. There's not pumpkin boobs and anorexic stomachs everywhere, nor are there bikinis that cover barely more than the nipples. As I said, Ame-Comi Girls' approach to being sexy is flirtatious. It's comfortable with flaunting its sex appeal, but doesn't give up the goods for nothing like a slut. It's a cute flirt, and I found myself falling in love over the course of this issue. It's a shame that Santi Casas won't be the regular artist for the ongoing series, because NOBODY has made this series as tastefully sexy as Casas has, and this issue has smooth action and fantastic facial expressions in addition to being sexy. Casas REALLY needs to get more professional work, he's got serious talent.

This issue also finally really gives the Ame-Comi series a genuine sense of identity. It always had unique takes on characters, but there was something that left the Ame-Comi 'world' feeling incomplete. But this issue really creates a strong driving force for the characters in all areas, strongly utilizing all the characters it spent 4 issues establishing, as well as giving Supergirl and full and proper intro of her own. Yes, this is my sexy guilty pleasure, but there's still a well crafted plotline, full depth of backstory to keep the world 'alive', and interesting characters that I'm actually made to care about.

In Conclusion: 5/5

For a series that I now realize is a guilty pleasure, it was fitting for this issue to have the sexiest, and most beautiful artwork. All the loose ends are tied together and funneled into the true ongoing Ame-Comi Girls ongoing series. And for a guilty pleasure, it's hard to feel too guilty about it when the tastefully sexy series has the same level of character depth and well plotted storyline as any other comic on the stands.

Posted by akbogert

Thanks for the review! I keep seeing this series on my Comixology homepage and have been considering hopping on-board, but I wanted to know that there was more to it than just fanservice. I'm still looking to know about the ongoing series (it runs in addition to these, what, five now?, character-based three-part arcs), but at the very least I'll probably go check out the minis.

Posted by The Mighty Monarch

@akbogert said:

These five spotlight issues serve as a lead-in to the ongoing series. The five character focus issues lead into one another in order, and the end of Supergirl will continue in the ongoing. Basically these five issues were a prelude to the ongoing series.

Posted by akbogert

@The Mighty Monarch: Oh, even better :) Comixology didn't have release dates so I wasn't sure what order they'd come out in; I'd assumed the minis had been coming out alongside. Good to know they're earlier.