Follow

Amazons of Themyscira

Team » Amazons of Themyscira appears in 937 issues.

Better known as the Amazons, they are a group of immortal warrior women created by the Olympian Gods. The most well-known is Princess Diana, also known as Wonder Woman.

How excactly can women of Themyscira hate men?

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By dewboy01
    No Caption Provided

It started with hecules did it?

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Izaiah

They're not supposed to hate men. That's a product of bad writing.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheCrowbar

@dewboy01 said:

No Caption Provided

It started with hecules did it?

He left such a bad impression the women of that island banned all men'

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Squalleon

They hate the society of men not the gender.....and since amazons were a ancient greek race the last glimpse of the civilization they lived was ancient greece were women had almost the same rights as slaves and were treated as objects some writers got it wrong believing that amazons hate men of the present (well not entirely untrue)......trust me i am greek!

TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheDude123

Well, their entire existence sort of centered around training and preparing and making war against men. They abhorred male dominated society and the way women were treated. Considering the treatment of many females in actual society throughout history it is not difficult in my mind to understand why they could abhorr and have hatred for men.

starrk_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By starrk_coyote

from what i have heard and been reading...it was said that,base on the comic vine profile of Hippolyta and this is a quote from it:" Zeus had a son called Hercules and he travelled to Themyscira with his friend Theseus. Arriving in Themyscira, Hercules demanded that Hippolyta give him the Girdle of Hippolyta. She refused, and offered to do battle for ownership of the Girdle. Hippolyta won the battle and Hercules offered an alliance with them. The Amazons allowed them to stay as Antiope fell in love with Theseus and Hippolyta with Hercules. However, in his madness, Hercules drugged Hippolyta who found herself in chains the next day. Hercules' army pillaged Themyscira and stole their treasures, including the Girdle of Hippolyta. Hercules left leaving some of his men behind to keep an eye on the city."

to what i take from this is that they just Assume that all men are like hercules, and that is where their Hatred towards men come from :)

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlackWind

@Squalleon said:

They hate the society of men not the gender.....and since amazons were a ancient greek race the last glimpse of the civilization they lived was ancient greece were women had almost the same rights as slaves and were treated as objects some writers got it wrong believing that amazons hate men of the present (well not entirely untrue)......trust me i am greek!

This, though some Amazons here and there are probably feminazis.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Rumble Man

Penors are evil

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator

Beard rash and smelly socks. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10  Edited By SC  Moderator

Adams Apple Envy. 

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Hazlenaut

Anger can be rationalized hatreds is more difficult. Herculies is one of the big factors, since their bracelets are a reminder of his oppression. They are persuaded by Hera. They lived in a secluded island but they do see merman. Most will follow the gods without question which leaded to Amazons attack arc. They are taught from birth or young age to hate men. You know I said my previous thread how would they react to woman that were men or tranvestites. I think it is needed for them to face woman like that.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By COBRAMORPH

Anyone see that early JL episode with the evil Amazon that wants to kill all men? They should create an evil Amazon, similar to Sinestro is to GL, as WW's main villain. Afterall, no one would ever take the Cheetah as a serious character in any possible Live WW movie, I mean, if Marvel felt making the Mandarian would be hard.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@cobramorph: Marvel is stupid as hell and Iron Man 3 sucks so many nuts it's not even funny

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By BappyRonChantin

Maybe it's my ignorance on the subject but I really can't take Amazonians seriously, unless maybe if they are portrayed as villains. They sound like a dumb indoctrinated men hating cult where rights to form any kind of contradicting opinion is inhibited.

TheEnhanced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad writing , Amazons are man lovers and yes woman had no rights back in does days but Amazons we're not " regular woman ". They lived in paradise , a paradise given to them by a man.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I think man-hating is the wrong thing to call it, because as far as we've seen, they dont.

They are however highly suspicious and untrusting of men because of what Heracles and his men put them through. I'd wager however that a man could, with time and patience win the personal trust of the Amazons... but it would only be personal; that guy is alright... but not this other guy that we dont know.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.